1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Advice for an oilman

Discussion in 'Oils' started by brian, May 21, 2015.

1. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I'm looking for a black wash that will stay reasonably shiny when dry.I'm painting scale armour in gold and have a nice sheen ,but an oil wash would dry matt in the crevices, which is not what i'm after.Not knowing anything much about acrylics,i was wondering if anyone knows an acrylic wash that would accumulate in between the scales of the armour, but dry with a slight sheen,not too glossy.
    Brian
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Suggestion....use any black...acrylic or oils....once dry.....apply a wash of satin varnish ;)

Ron
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Maybe add a drop of Klear to the wash? .....just thinking out loud, never tried it
  4. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    vallejo has an eyedropper bottle called glossy black acrylic. Perhaps thin it with water?

Gary
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Yes, vallejo glossy black is a good one. To make a wash you can thin with water with a tiny amount of dishwashing soap (very very little) to break the water's surface tension.
    To make the acrylic behave a bit like oils you could also mix in 20-50% of Glaze Medium. This reduces the intensity of the black and makes it dry slower, quite like oils.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  6. Carlos Figure Art Active Member

Hi mate, there's a few options...

* Use Black Gloss enamel (Humbrol)or semi-Matt depending on amount of sheen required. Or just add a touch of Black gloss to your oilpaint.

* Mix your Balck oilpaint with Liquin, this will give a glaze and dry glossy.

* Use any medium for the effect you need, then give thin layers of your chosen varnish.

Carlos
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    The thing you've got to watch is the risk of whatever you use behaving like a glaze rather than a wash.
    Try Vallejo Black thinned down with any acrylic thinners, Vallejo tends towards the glossy as it dries. Citadel have a thinner called Lahmian Medium which is really just their paint carrier without the pigment. Simply mix it with your chosen black 'til you get the right ratio. Practice on something first.
    Helm likes this.
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    The Tamiya acrylics I've found dry shiner than most, Revell did a range of gloss acrylics dunno if they still do but with a bit of experimenting with X21 you might get something that way. Never tried it myself so not 00% on it mate
    Steve
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    You hit the nail on the head Derek regarding not wanting the wash to stain.Thanks for everyones input.All taken on board
  10. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Also as a possibility the use of Vallejo, 'Inks'. They always dry out with a 'Satin' finish! .. which is usually bloody annoying ! However, in this case they may well be something to think about.:cautious:

Mark
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I would suggest a diluted artist's acrylic (I use liquitex) diluted 50:50 with water and clear acrylic gloss varnish (again I use liquitex). Try it on some scrap first though.

Colin
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An old Benassi trick was simply add black humbrol to varnish and apply like a wash , but might be best to seal your base coat with some sort of acrylic varnish or J clear so as not to lift the base