1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Advance to Arnhem 1/16 scale

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Steve Ski, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    RM1601 Resin, 4 figures plus groundwork. http://www.reedeesminiatures.co.uk/products/1-16-120mm

A requote from the beginning of this build log:

Using Steve's own words to describe the scene: " The first release is RM1601 which is taken from a photo taken 17 September 1944 during Operation Market Garden at Wolfheze Village. It shows a Bren gun section of R Company 1 Para taking cover in a Bomb crater during their advance along Amsterdamseweg (Leopard Route)."

"Corporal Alfred Reynolds, second from left, who commanded the Bren gun section was seriously wounded a few hours after the photo was taken, he fell into German hands a died from his injuries a day or two later."

The fate of the other three is unknown.

This has been a wonderful adventure into the historic reality of WWII and the Advance on Arnhem. As a painter I’m always looking for the historical aspect of every subject I consider, and Steve has made this part of the process easy. I would consider this sculpting a perfect rendition of the actual event from the historical photograph taken in September, 1944. I hope I have done my part to honor these men and their sacrifices in the battle to end the war by Christmas.

Painting:Oils over an acrylic base throughout for each figure.Pipes and roots were added to the base and then the entire base was treated with a primer coat and a bit of cat litter for fine rubble, then a basic tonal coat.Oil washes were used for depth and highlights were dry brushed to complete the appearance.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

This has been an enjoyable piece of sculptured art to work with! Kudos, Stevo!

Cheers, Ski.
  2. Cannonball A Fixture

A great finish to this project Steve which has been well worth the wait. The final pictures amply do justice to the skill, effort and determination you’ve invested to turn out a piece of such quality. Love it.

Neal
    Andrew Belsey, Steve Ski and Nap like this.
  3. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Fantastic paintwork

Mobo
    Steve Ski likes this.
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It has been a pleasure to watch this develop Ski, stunning finish to this project and your standard of painting remained high from the start to the finish.
    Have to also mention the great photos taken to showcase your work.
    All the best
    Steve
    Mike - The Kiwi, Steve Ski and Nap like this.
  5. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks great!!
    I have this set to and your work here makes me want to do mine!!(Thanks Steve 1969 for that) Inspiring!

Cheers
    Erk
    Steve Ski, 1969 and Nap like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England

Steve

I am just going to say I 100% agree ......loved following the SBS here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/advance-to-arnhem-1-16-scale.281137/

Perhaps Mr Ski might consider a entry into the Vignette & Diorama com#4

Look forward to the next from the bench
    mockup-0898024b_160x160.png
    Nap
    Andrew Belsey, Steve Ski and 1969 like this.
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you Neal, I greatly appreciate those kind words.

Thanks Mobo!

Thanks, Stevo! You've been running right alongside me all along. I appreciate all the technical support from start to finish. Been a fun run, Bro.

Thanks, Erk. Looking forward to your rendition, this is a great set.

Thanks Kevin, you been in the front row all along;) Not sure what's next, helo dio (USAF UH-1N in Ecuador, 1986) or that 11 figure Highlander set from Castle Miniatures. A good, tasty Maduro and a cold one should help the decision process be more relaxing.

Thank you, Gentlemen!
    Nap likes this.
  8. kempie Member

England
    Well Ski, you have managed to bring this together into a whole that is greater than the individual parts. This is highlighted by the brilliant photography of the end result. Congratulations mate, you have much to be proud of. Thanks for letting us join in on your journey.

Cheers, kempie
  9. Giwe Well-Known Member

Germany
    Brilliant work!
    Steve Ski and Nap like this.
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you Kempie, for being there to nudge me along with the rest of the guys. Sometimes these projects can be taxing, as we all know, and having a good nudge to carry on every now and again is greatly appreciated.
    Nap and kempie like this.
  11. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks, Giwe!
    Nap likes this.
  12. misfit151 A Fixture

Absolutely stunning...been following the stages and the final result ....a real credit to you ....(y). Mike
  13. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's one hell of a finish, stunning painting and a superb trench scene.
  14. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very wonderful work. Inspiring.
  15. Ferris A Fixture

This turned out great Steve! Groundwork and figures fit together very well. Nice colour choices. A centerpiece in the cabinet. Congrats!

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Nap and Steve Ski like this.
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thank you kindly, Mike. Thanks for following along.

Bob, thank you, Sir, thank you!

Thank you, Peter!!!!

Adrian, thanks, Amigo. Yes, time to kick me Mum's (wife) stuff out and place this in center stage, lol. Actually, she has commandeered a lot of my space, so I will be building her a cabinet come April, lol.

Thanks, Guys!
  17. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Damn!
    Is that the boxart or what Ski & Steve?
    Fabulous overall look & finish.
    Photos are standout mate.
    Inspiring all round.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Andrew Belsey and 1969 like this.
  18. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Many Thanks, Mike. A very generous compliment coming from the Master of Figure painting. You have inspired more people than you will ever know, Ma Brotha!
  19. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Way too kind buddy!
    Pleasing for you to accomplish this massive project.
    I’m starting my first 120mm figure for years.
    It’s only a simple one but a bit daunting.
    And will tap into how you used roots. :)
    MikeTheKiwi
    Andrew Belsey likes this.
  20. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Fantastic work, Steve. I've been to the Hartenstein Hotel twice, it's an outstanding museum & I can only imagine what it was like to be in the trenches in the grounds.
    Nap likes this.