1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Advance to Arnhem 1/16 scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Ski, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Steve/Helm, looking forward to seeing how this all finishes up. I've got a lengthy punch list.

Thanks Stevo!
    Nap likes this.
  2. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is excellent Steve!
    Andy
  3. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you very much, Andrew!
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Smooth Landing

Figure #3 is finally completed. The trousers may have a more greenish tint than the rest of the crew, but I did go back and correct this with some filters and blending. Also, each figure had all the brass work completed and sealed with Dull Coat. All that is left to do is dust up each figure to blend each of them into the base.

Taxi clear of the runway 35 left at Bravo 4, contact ground.

Just the base is left to finalize and we can park this beauty on the ramp, or curio cabinet, as they say.

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]

I had my mind all set on a really beautiful chunk of black walnut only to find there would have been some considerable waste just to get this small chunk. Instead, I settle on a nice piece of oak that was already milled to an acceptable thickness. Just some minor milling and a bit of work on the belt sander to match the resin base and we’re good to go. I might add that I really wasn’t in the mood to spend several hours milling that walnut at 28*F in the shop, so the oak was a wonderful choice, HA!

You can see the cleats I added to keep the resin base in the exact location desired. Once the oak was sanded smooth, I gave it a generous coat of Minwax Red Mahogany stain. This will give the base some character without attracting too much attention and it will also get a few coats of Minwax Tung oil. I prefer to use Tung Oil on most of my wood projects even though it is not the easiest sealer to work with. I can control the sheen, whereas most polyurethane finishes are not easy to adjust, either shinny or dull, nothing in betwixt.

[IMG] [IMG]

Once the base has dried completely and I’m satisfied with the finish I’ll install the figures and mate the resin base to this block of oak and call it a wrap!

Final pics coming soon and thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

P.S. Next post will be in the completed section for this beauty.
    KenBoyle, kempie, Ferris and 3 others like this.
  5. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Quite exceptional painting Steve.
    Nap likes this.
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is getting really exciting now, final figure looks fantastic, cannot wait to see this finalised.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Nap likes this.
  7. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Epic stuff, it will be a fantastic piece in the not to distant future and once again we have a modeler with total commitment.
    TERRY
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ski

All that Ruckin has sure been worth it ......but come on no milling on the initial base it's only 28 degrees ....oh okay the oak is looking good

This has been a great SBS and all the hard work and time spent updating is much appreciated by all

You've done Steves sculpt full credit and yourself the same ...BRAVO

Look forward to seeing the next update in the completed forum

Dare I ask what's your next project ?

Nap
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Henk.

Ya Stevo, already going thru DT's on this one, been a busy run. Great work, you'll enjoy the finale, worth every bit of tussle to get there, too.

Thanks for following along Terry;)

Ok, Kevin, for you nay-sayers, I'll snap a pic of the thermometer next time, sheesh! :ROFLMAO::Do_O My fingers don't take too kindly to cold anymore. Thanks Brother, we're finally there.
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Blimey surely that's not below freezing ! You are a veritable wise fellow

Nap
  11. Helm A Fixture

England
    Nice bit of oak for a base, classy (y)
    Steve
  12. kempie Member

England
    Nailed it Ski, absolutely superb. Can’t wait to see the finished project. Incredibly inspiring to watch you work through all the separate aspects and bring them together into a seamless result.

Cheers, kempie
  13. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Kevin, ya killin me man, ya killin me, HA! Ruck On Baby! I might need me fingers later, lol;)

Hey Steve, thanks a lot, Amigo!

Thanks, Kempie. I appreciate the kind words. Now it's just a matter of taking a massive amount of pics to justify all this work, from both Stevo and myself. I gotta say, having a set so well portrayed by the sculptor has made it much easier to put my head into this team of Para Troops and try to bring that out in paint. I'm always into the full immersion when it comes to a scenario when working a vignette or dio. The camo pattern was tough, but it's been a really fun run! Wish me luck on these pics, it's gotta be spot on cause these guys are all looking intense.

Thanks, Gents!

P.S. Oh my gosh, I see wingy thingies in my head, Helos, what will I do next? Not sure, but summer is coming fast, so I better figure it out quick, lol.
    Nap likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
  15. kempie Member

England
    Ski, brother I’ve just re read the entire SBS. As soon as I recover from bouncing a hammer off the ol noggin I’m gonna get some brushes wet and try to vibe off your enthusiasm and talent!! Thanks for sharing your journey mate.
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Good deal, and have fun, Brother!