1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Advance to Arnhem 1/16 scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Ski, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very fine work indeed.
    Jed likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Ski

Now listen .....stop posting pics of real smocks !

Fine result on the smock tones ......if this is you " evading " the pattern ....impressive

Call me picky but reckon the rifle needs more done ....lol

Great updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Jed likes this.
  3. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you Chris, glad to have you along ;)

Thanks for stoppin by Peter!

Nice one Nap, I wish it was that easy, lol. Thanks, buddy!
    Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Web Gear, Helmet, and Rifle

I finally got the brush wet this past week. The web gear and helmet have been completed for this stage of the process. I went ahead and painted the rifle with an initial tone just to get that portion initiated. The hands will need to be done as well, but I will do all the figures’ hands at once to keep the flesh tones in check.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And finally, the last figure will be tackled this week. I’m thinking at least a week and a half to get this camo pattern done on this figure. I removed the right arm due to the tight quarters in the chest area. It’s just too tight to get an accurate paint job with it attached. More to follow soon on #3.

Once I finish the smock on #3 the real fun begins, the trousers and details, and I’m looking forward to that! This last pic is rather blurry, but yall get the idea, it’s on the bench;)

[IMG]

Thanks for watchin, Ski.
    MCPWilk, Nap, China Dave and 10 others like this.
  5. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    We all knew this project wasn't going to be easy and that it would take time and it's great to see that you are still chipping away at it and maintaining the quality brushwork that you started with, wonderful stuff.
    TERRY
    Jed likes this.
  6. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Amazing work
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic progress Ski, helmet base colour is spot on, really like your painting of the wood on the entrenching tool handle.
    Cheers
    Steve
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Brilliant Ski, as said the entrenching tool is bang on
    Steve
  9. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Wonderful work, Steve! (y)

Cheers!
  10. kempie Member

England
    Amazing work Ski. Cannot wait to see this project develop.

Cheers, kempie
  11. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Superb work Steve!

Looking good.

Jeff.
  12. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Terry, it’s a slugfest at times, but nothing more than a determination to get that camo pattern completed, lol.

Thanks Jed!

Thanks Stevo, it’s coming along nicely. Burnt Sienna and Raw Umber on the handle, light coats over Mig’s Para tan acrylic. I like the tone myself, adds a bit of contrast.

Thanks you Helm, greatly appreciated.

Thanks for hangin along Dolf!

Thank you Kempie, more to follow real soon.

Hey Jeff, thanks Buddy!
    Dolf, Nap and 1969 like this.
  13. VisjeMar A Fixture

I really really really like this work. Excellent so far
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ski

You just nail the camo and the webbing ....going to use the wood colours for sure

Might be a "slugfest" ....like that but it's a amazing project and even at this stage a powerful piece of modelling

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you Visje, I appreciate that!

Tanks Nap. The rifle stocks are not quite finished, still playing with that tone. I'll be following a few of the guys here on PF for a much more realistic appearance. Some of them are just spectacular.

I do apologize for the inconsistent updates lately Gents, been beating back a few rats in the kitchen, so to speak. Ya know, them dang thangs that require a bit more attention to irradicate. The oils are still wet, we’re still in business!
    Nap likes this.
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Trouser Works

Now that the rats are dead,.......... and in keeping with the drive and motivation in challenging times, we press on. Work the easy challenges first, then finish up the loose ends, hence the last figure’s smock will take a back seat,…for now, lol. He’s not going anywhere; he’ll be back soon.

Back at it, Corp Reynolds is getting a leg workout. After making an initial attempt at this color tone and realizing it was way too dark, I initiated an Oven Cleaner bath. This was certainly not the first, nor the last bath I’ve done, but it had to be done in a bit more delicate manner since the upper torso was already complete. There was no room for error, none at all!

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Staying with Mig’s original trouser color tone I did a light shading and feathering with darker tan oil tones into the appropriate areas. Windsor Newton did me a favor by producing Golden Ochre, what a hoot. This is pretty close to a usable match if ever there was a color in a tube. Minor adjustments with Titanium white, a bit of Burnt Umber, and tones in betwixt, it all fell together nicely.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Now, some may say there should be a slight olive tone within this mix, which I actually did include, but nailing down this exact color tone was a bit of a challenge. Re-enactment pics are good, some original article pics are even better, but we are really close, and neither us were there, so it’s a go.

I do like the results, so I’m sticking with this process throughout. I treated this like any white or grey color tone, light application of shadows and let the highlights bring out the intended final color tones.

The legging had a much greater olive tone in some of the reference pics and in others it was more of a tannish tone. I personally liked the olive tone for contrast. I’m still not completely sure about the straps, leather or canvas, but I’m thinking leather for even more contrast and definition in this area. The boots will get a better work over when all the figures get a bit of weathering.

More to follow real soon and thanks for your patience. Cheers, Ski.
    captnenglish, KenBoyle, Nap and 2 others like this.
  17. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow. Just catching up on this, that is inspirational work. Superb work on the Denison Smocks. I now have another 'must have' on my list..
    Looking forward to more progress.
  18. kempie Member

England
    Great work Ski!! Always great watching you work your magic.

Cheers, kempie
  19. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent progress. Liking the drab color of the trousers. I think it is just right!

Adrian
  20. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Trousers colouring looks fine Ski mate.
    Always lots of variation in these between batches, wearers etc.
    Keep it coming & chance to mix it up a bit with other guys.
    My rule is “Uniform ain’t Uniform” ;-)
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap and Viking Bob like this.