1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Adobe Colour Wheel

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Kimmo, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

I found this neat app a while ago, an interactive colour wheel by Adobe. For those of you who don't have a colour wheel, or perhaps even those that do, this is an excellent tool to get your palette sorted out. I used it for my last project to give me an idea of what would work well with each other and came up with these examples:

Triad

palette2.PNG

Complementary

palette1.PNG

If colour theory is not your strong suit, this should help you understand relationships better. The best part is that it is free.

https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

Kimmo
    NeilW, DaddyO and Airkid like this.
  2. Graham PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks for this. I found the shades option interesting. Just match your original colour and see options for shading, something I have trouble visualising.
  3. Kimmo A Fixture

Sharing is caring Graham. I have that problem too sometimes, easier to play with something like this than to mix up 20 different combos.

Kimmo
    Nap, DaddyO, Airkid and 1 other person like this.
  4. Airkid PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks for the link Kimmo. I will find that very useful. Like you say, it beats farting about with different mixes, which is what I have tended to do.

Phil
    Nap likes this.
  5. Ray Stout Active Member

This reminds me of Shep Payne's Colour Wheel, where you start with the 3 Primary colours and move outwards with shades and Highlights. Ray
    Airkid likes this.
  6. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Kimmo

Nice one and very useful

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Be careful not to be too bogged down with this as it can be quite confusing-as an experiment I tried to darken dark blue and although moving the tabs made it go dark it didn't tell me how or which colour to use. So am I right in concluding that it tells you which colour you need but not the mix to achieve it?

I'm not that good with technology so maybe I have just read it wrong:rolleyes:

BTW I do know the answer but was trying to work back to understand how the system worked
    Airkid likes this.
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Remind me not to dive in without read:rolleyes: ing the instructions.

I can now see how it works having realised what the RGB letters to the left are for, in a pure way it works, but as well as the base colours you can use Burnt Umber or other browns to shade Blue towards Black and that is what I was looking for in the answer.

I tend to note what mixes are used from following posts on PF and other resources. I then experiment with them and then note in a book the mixes I use for each figure.

I've always found colour mixing a dark art:ROFLMAO:
    Airkid likes this.
  9. Henkm Well-Known Member

You can make a darker shade in general by mixing in black/umber or by mixing in some of the complementary colour. A colour wheel can help you visualise this complementary colour by going halfway around. Another use is to see how 'far' apart colours are to help make a vibrant colour scheme. That's my take on it at least.
    Tecumsea and Airkid like this.
  10. Kimmo A Fixture

Tecumsea, you make some valid observations. The tool isn't ideal in the sense that it doesn't tell you what or how much to mix in, but, as I said above, it does help you understand relationships a lot more clearly than using a manual wheel or trial and error. It is also very handy for figuring out your initial palette if you're stuck for a colour scheme.

Kimmo
    Tecumsea and Airkid like this.
  11. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I agree Kimmo, it is a science....LOL

Keith
  12. Banjer Well-Known Member

England
    I did download it but it might as well have been written in Greek. Can't make head or tail of it.

Bill