1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Admiral Nelson 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jazz, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Please see my latest 54mm figure - Admiral Nelson from Andrea Miniatures. I have set the Admiral on the Andrea Ships bulwark and step scene which compliments the figure perfectly. I have just ordered a high base for the scene to give it some presence. I have painted this in acrylics and oils and I hope you like it. Please feel free to make comments.

Attached Files:

• 073.JPG
      073.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 072.JPG
      072.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
  2. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Can you an SBS on the woodwork? I would love to be able to pull off that woodgrain effect you did!
  3. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Sure can Jason, glad you like it.
    The ships bulwark comes in a cream coloured resin and the steps are white metal. There are 4 pieces - the step, the balustrade part, the backboard that the step rests against, and the floor. These are all textured in wood grain already. I first undercoat all the pieces in a matt white spray. Because I wanted the ship to look authentic I used different methods of painting with most of the pieces. The backboard and balustrade were first painted in Citadel Elf flesh acrylic. This is allowed to dry thoroughly before I liberally paint Burnt Sienna oil paint over the parts. Then after a few minutes to let the paint soak in a little I use a clean tissue and a thick brush to remove all excess oil paint, leaving the oil settled into all the crevasses. I use the brush to stroke along the grain of the wood leaving extra oil at the top and bottom of the parts which appear as shadow and ingrained dirt. The taking off of the excess oil leaves the lighter acrylic showing underneath and a little practice gives good wood effect. A good way of removing the last bit of unwanted oil is to use the side of the brush taking care not to get the bristles into the grain.
    The step was painted in Games Workshop Dark Flesh acrylic and when thoroughly dry I used the beforementioned Elf Flesh acrylic to drybrush over the edges and the woodgrain of the steps giving a slightly different colouring compared to the earlier mentioned parts.
    Finally the floor was first painted in Games Workshop Codex Grey acrylic then when dry I used very thinned down Burnt Umber oil paint to wash over the floor settling into the woodgrain. I dried this using a hairdryer and then when thoroughly dry gave it another wash of thinned down oils, this time I used Lamp Black. Again I dried the part thoroughly before drybrushing it in first Elf Flesh then a light drybrush in Citidel Skull White acrylic.
    By using these different methods it makes the scene look more interesting IMO and I think more realistic as it is not all the same shade. The main thing that I need to stress is to make sure the parts are absolutely dry before moving onto the next level or it will start to look a bit muddy.
    Good luck with your painting.
  4. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Thanks bro!! I am saving this thread for future use!
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    great work all around.
    That woodwork is something special. Thanks for explaining.

marc
  6. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    What a splendid job! The whites especially look amazing! Thanks for sharing...

Ronnie
  7. DaveG Active Member

United-States
    Hey John, great little scene. Agreed with comments about the woodwork effect you've achieved here and unfortunately I know from experience what you mean about things ending up muddy looking if patience is not observed during the process. Also really nice painting on a busy little figure. (y)

DG
  8. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    As an old Navy gal, this gets a big (y) from me! Great work, John!
    Mary
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Great sailor,great figure
  10. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Great Job.

Jim
  11. outrunthedogs Member

United-States
    Both Admiral Nelson and the ship deck are well done!
  12. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the great comments folks. I appreciate it. Nelson was a great figure to paint. I really enjoyed it.
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks superb John.
    Carl.(y)
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    very nice jazz,love the blue frock coat and the painting of the wood is very well done (y)
  15. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Great modelling skills. I hope nobody opens up the eye patch debate.
    Pete
  16. Jazz A Fixture

England
    The eye patch that is shown is part of the Andrea figure. If you look carefully you can see that it is a part of the hat and not a seperate patch. There is some debate about this but I have used the part sculpted by Andrea and if they dont know the facts then there is something wrong.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi There Mr Jazz ,

A really great figure well painted (blue is hard to do) can we see some close ups of the decorations ( well you know I like my medals etc!!!!) the pose is a good one and this is possibly one of the betterAndrea figures ...now all you have to do now is paint the bust of Horatio :) .

What sets this apart is definately the obvious care and attention to detail that you have taken on the wood , love the different effects you have achieved ......and thanks from all for posting the SBS on this .

Now then where is Lady Hamilton !!!!!!!

Thanks for posting and well done mate

Nap