1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ACW Zouave Bust 1/8th scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roy, May 26, 2006.

1. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys, just thought you might like to see the beginning of this bust. I haven't got very far with it yet, I'm just finishing up working on the head. He will eventually become a Zouave of the 114th Pennsylvania in 1/8th scale.

I'm still waiting very hopefully on a little snippet of information that I need regarding the head-dress of this magnificent unit, but in the mean-time I'll be able to carry on with the neck and shoulders etc over the next few days.

I must say very many thanks to Gary Dombrowski (Garyjd) for putting up with my pestering for information and supplying some beautiful and inspiring pictures...and even more for prompting me to experiment with Super Sculpey, which I've been using for this piece.

If anyone is particularly interested, there is now a new
    'Step-by-Step' on my website covering the sculpting of this head in some detail.

Any comment or criticism is more than welcome and always appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look..Roy.
    [IMG]
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy is this a one off or, ..., ;) ? Looks great mate. What kind of information do you need regarding headdress?
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Matt, thanks for taking a look..this will certainly be a kit. I was wondering about the turban, specifically if it was wrapped a certain way, where it was tucked in etc. I can see from most of the pics available that it would more than likely be secured at the rear, but just wanted to make sure. I've e-mail the guys at the 114th (I think it's 'E' Company) re-enactment group, but not heard anything as yet...I think they (the turbans) may have been saved for full dress occasions, but I would like to clarify that too. Then it's a case of do I depict him with the fez, or the very attractive kepi. He is going to be in the action of advancing with (hopefully) a determined look on his face...I must admit, I really fancy the kepi (Gary sent me an excellent photo of one)...I'd be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

All the best...Roy.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Go with the kepi, that would be different. If you are really interested, I can check my sources on the turban. Since it's going to be a kit, I guess my wish list just got one kit longer! ;)
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy,
    fantastic so far! Kepi, fez, turban, what ever you decide you're off to a great start. What ever happened to the last head sculpt you posted? Is he coming along or waiting in the wings for more inspiration? Thanks for sharing, keep us posted.

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hello Roy,

Superb sculpting, that's a face full of character. Hope to see more progress soon.

Congrats,

Gino
  7. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Roy,

Your abilities to give your sculptings so much character are just stunning :eek: !
    One remark though (which may be caused by the angle of the camera), his ear seems to be slightly undersized, especially the lower part under the hearing entrance.

All the best.

Johan ;)
  8. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, A Zouave bust, excellent! I like the character shown in the face. The 114th were raised in August 1861 in Philadelphia and called the Zouaves D'Afrique. The group consisted of seasoned veternans who had served in European armies. Cap. Charles H. T. Collis recruited them and orginially raised the group to act as his bodyguard. They were thus nicknamed "Collis Zouaves" and orginially served with Major Gen. Nataniel Banks in the Shenandoah. Additional companies were raised and were mustered into the Federal Army and sent to the Defense of Washington DC. and attached to the 1st brigade, 1st division of the 3rd Corps. Their unit history is pretty interesting. They were later attached to the 9th Corps .

My references show they wore the fez without wrap in the field and the turban for dress occasions. An officer would be wearing a kepi as they did not wear the fez or the wrap with fez.

What do you need as far as reference on the unit? I know Gary D. has a wealth of info, but if you need anything else drop a line. I am a big fan of zouaves as well.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin
  9. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Matt..any information on the turban, if available would be very helpful, thank you. Although I really like the kepi. ;)

Jay, many thanks for your comments..the last one was really a bit of a trial run in this scale, and in Super Sculpey..as I'd never used it before, so really it was helpful to see how I got on with it..He may well end up as a bust at some point though.

Gino, hope all is well with you...thank you for checking out this thread, and for your kind and positive comments. Your comments are always very much appreciated.

Hi Johan, thanks for your very kind comments on the face regarding character, very important for a bust...as for the ear...I don't think it's the camera angle that is misleading, but I've attached a pic that views the ear squarely. I must admit that ears are most definately not my favourite things to sculpt as they are indeed very complex little blighters. I think they are a little like finger-prints in some respects, and each set are very different. I think I've tried to keep on the safe side with these, not too large, nor too complex..I've attached a couple of pics that illustrate both over-sized and slightly complex ears..just to raise a smile...
    I do really value your feedback and I will always try to improve on every little bit of my sculpting, we are learning all the time and should always strive for a little extra something with each piece..I have a couple more busts in progress, but haven't got to the ears yet, but when I do I shall find myself looking very closely at how cultures differ in this particular area. It's all part and parcel of modelling wether sculpting or painting...the research is sometimes demanding, but always very enjoyable. And this forum is such a great place to examine our own work and others in detail...

Thanks once again guys....Roy.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, 114th Zouave is not a 114th Zouave without the fez/fez & turban. :) .While the forage cap being worn by the bandsmen in the one photo is interesting it just would'nt have that "look". I do like the face, but the picture of the two "handsome" guys scares the %$#& out of me. Those guy come from a very shallow gene pool.~Gary
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Terry, There is a photo of 114th Pennsylvania Volunteers that was taken at Brandy Station VA in March of 1864. In the detail picture you'll notice the bandsmen next to a portion of the Zouaves shown in the actual photo appear to be wearing forage caps.~Gary
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Terry...many thanks for your information on the turban/fez/kepi arrangement..it's very useful and I must keep it in mind as I continue with the rest of the bust...I thought the turban would have been for full dress use as you say. And the background of the 114th is, as you mention, pretty interesting. Zouaves overall, are a very interesting subject, that's for sure.

Gary, many thanks for all the info and great pictures, they have been a great help in understanding a little about the uniform. I understand exactly what you say about the fez being an essential part of depicting the soldier of the 114th in the field, I wonder if they ever wore the turban in combat..?...that is why I was trying to find out the method of securing it..and I think your advice on the fez worn alone is very sound, it looks like the kepi will have to wait for a future opportunity...and yes...those guys are scary to say the least.. :eek:

Thanks again...and keep those comments coming, they're just great.

Roy.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary, many thanks for all the info and great pictures, they have been a great help in understanding a little about the uniform. I understand exactly what you say about the fez being an essential part of depicting the soldier of the 114th in the field, I wonder if they ever wore the turban in combat..?...that is why I was trying to find out the method of securing it..and I think your advice on the fez worn alone is very sound, it looks like the kepi will have to wait for a future opportunity.

Roy, I would say that YES the turban could have been worn in combat just as easily as NOT wearing it. I think it depend on the tastes of the individual soldier. Don Troiani did a painting titles "Barksdales charge". among the soldiers depicted are the 114th with the men wearing a mix of plain fezzes and fezzes with turbans.
  14. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Gary..I grabbed my copy of Don Troiani's Civil War and right there on the front cover is Barksdale's charge...there are at least two (maybe three) Zouaves I can clearly make out who are wearing turbans...Mr Troiani also states on page 117 that photograhs and drawings reveal some men also wore the turban into combat...so again, that's very promising..thanks for pointing me in the right direction once again.

Cheers..Roy.
  15. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey Roy , this looking way too cool. I will follow this closely

Stephen Mallia
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Roy!

Beautiful face work mate, the SBS is excellent!

Looking forward to see how it all turns out, keep it up!
  17. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy here are some links to Troiani's depiction of the 114th PA

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery...ksdale_s_Charge

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery..._Minnesota_Regt

http://www.historicalartprints.com/hap/cmd...=null&prodid=49

And one by Bradely Schmehl

http://www.somersethouse.com/product_detai...2&Department=LE

BTW nothing new on the turban, but I'll keep looking
  18. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Stephen and Anders, many thanks for taking a look and the positive comments, it's been very enjoyable so far.

Matt, thanks very kindly for the links..especially the last one by Bradely Schmehl, I hadn't seen that one before and it shows some turbans being worn too..

If you happen to come up with anything further on the turban it'll be a real bonus.

Many thanks for your effort and comments.

Cheers..Roy.
  19. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Roy,

All I can say is that it is a great looking face and I look forward to seeing more of it!

Joe
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, Follow this link to the website of the 5th New York "Duryee's Zouaves". This group has been around for several years and I'm sure they could tell you what you need to know about wrapping the turban around the fez. I think by looking at the photos there is enough to see for you to reproduce it in miniature, although I'd be interested to know how it was done.~Gary

http://www.webcom.com/kepi/