1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ACW trains

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by jai, Oct 25, 2019.

1. jai A Fixture

Italy
    I'm looking for information on trains during ACW usage, builders, dimensions, etc. links to museums, associations, blogs, books, films, photos etc.
    Thanks
  2. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Two major manufacturers of trains before the Civil War were Rogers Locomotive Company and Baldwin Locomotives.
    Their engines were used by both sides throughout the conflict and were generally wood burners. As well as painting
    figures, I have a G gauge layout in my garden featuring these and later American trains ( I build scale flying radio
    controlled biplanes as well ). The model railway company Bachmann should be worth a try. They might be able to produce
    some scale drawings or something. Meanwhile some of the railroad museums in the States could help - you might check
    them out online. I'll also have a word with someone I know in Virginia who might help.......... I'll get back to you.

Mike
    jai likes this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    jai likes this.
  4. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A few pictures to be going on with - In order: Baldwin, Rogers, and Jackson passenger car.
    Hope this helps

Baldwin.jpg Rogers.jpg Jackson coach.jpg

Mike
  5. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    OK, Jai, send an e mail to cbw.webmaster@gmail.com in Delaware explaining yourself and they'll probably be able to help..... don't forget
    the time difference...you'll get responses in the middle of the night !

Mike
  6. jai A Fixture

Italy
    thank you all
  7. jai A Fixture

Italy
    thank you, yes, I'm used to communicating overseas ... I have great friends in Mexico;)
  8. nig-g Active Member

Andrea still produce a ACW period engine and tender in 54mm (at a cost!).
    There was a supporting article in a Figure International a while ago. I’ll try and dig it out later and send a copy over. Would email be better? If so perhaps PM with your email address.
    hope this helps.
    Nigel
    jai likes this.
  9. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Of course they do ... i'd completely forgotten about it !! As you say it's a bit pricey for 54mm but it would be an instant solution. 'G' gauge runs out at
    nearly (but not quite) 90mm

Mike
  10. nig-g Active Member

Hi
    if you let me have your email I’ll get that article over to you.
    Nigel
  11. jai A Fixture

Italy
    remember, with buster keaton as a machinist
  12. jai A Fixture

Italy
    the project, the idea of the project, is more complex. now there is the collection of the material
  13. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    As an aside to your request, you might like to have a look at the old Buster Keaton film " The General". It's a silent movie, but there are some interesting vignettes in the film involving original veterans of the ACW. Although a visual comedy, it is based on certain facts and incidents.

Alan
  14. jai A Fixture

Italy
    It's among my 10 favorite movies. thanks
    OldTaff likes this.
  15. nig-g Active Member

Email now sent with scanned article and a useful bibliography.
    nigel
  16. jai A Fixture

Italy
    thank you ... everything arrived