1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics over oils, ok?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Dolf, Jul 13, 2019.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Couldn’t agree more...well put.
    Nap likes this.
  2. Ronaldo A Fixture

You are more or less right ! but I see many people behind a wheel who will never be a good driver :)
    Nap likes this.
  3. Ronaldo A Fixture

Dolf
    Natural ability will always outclass everything , this was a hobby but over the last few decades it has been taken to an art form with some totally gifted painters .

I see a bit of menace creeping into this thread and wonder why it has gone this way
    malc, Dolf and Nap like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Ron

Agree with your comments ........lets keep this to thread guys ...PM if you wish to discuss off thread !

My 2€ worth ...enjoy the painting whatever way you like

Fogie ....great artwork there on the pictures , look forward to seeing the figures

Happy benchtime ..whichever way you use your chosen mediums

Nap
  5. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Ronaldo,

"Natural ability will always outclass everything"

That is also my opinion.

You mention the example of drivers behind the wheel, who will never become a good driver (as I mention also on a previous post), but I could fill an entire page of similar examples just like that one.

But because of your name/nick ;) just another one:

All professional football players have basically the same training (practice), but how many Ronaldo (not you, the Portuguese one :p ), or Messi, are there out there?...
    They are the best among the best, not just because of practicing, but IMO primarily because they have a natural gift (they were born with it, otherwise only with practice they would be just average players, like so many others) .

Cheers!

Dolf
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    You got to have the "want to".......and if you don't have the "want" to have the "want to have the want to";..... then you'll never "have" the want to. And if that's the case;.... You'll never amount to anything in anything...…..Now,...Did I make myself perfectly clear?
  7. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

not quite could you rephrase that for me please?:p
  8. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Being the slow old fart that I'm becoming, I've just caught up with this thread. I've been painting figures now for some 46 years, and am only marginally more proficient than when I started . I've mixed all sorts of mediums over that time, even after becoming so well acquainted with the "Max Longhurst" school of oils. I have never become proficient in the use of acrylics, using them as base coats for oils, but I admire hugely the vast number of figurinists that produce such beautiful results in their application. I have learnt so much since joining PF, trying to apply what I've learnt to my own work.....and taking personal delight in the modest improvements I've achieved. And, er, no, I don't use acrylics over oils, even the water-based W&N's. I only did it once, and almost ripped my moustache off in annoyance and frustration! :LOL:

Oh, and Mike (Fogie), really love that seascape picture, and the one of the owl alighting on the fencepost. Superb, mate.

Well, pip pip for now, chaps, ...just wanted to add my two penn'orth. Off to try and paint a drum design on the new little drummer from Altores.
    Enjoy your hobby, 'cos that's what it's for ;)

Alan
    Dolf and Nap like this.
  9. Steve Edwards Active Member

Too right, Old Taff. Do it because you enjoy it.

I started painting figures back in the late 1970's. Gave it up for years for wine, women and song (sex, drugs and rock n'roll)

And then one day, I stumbled upon the PF website and you guys inspired me to take it up again. Many thanks to you all, it's great to read your contributions.

My painting has not improved....
    malc, Dolf and OldTaff like this.
  10. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Aha, yet another Edwards,....my great uncle said the Edwards's were some of the biggest breeders in Cardiganshire (Ceredigion).

Alan
  11. Steve Edwards Active Member

Yes, there does seem to be rather a lot of the Edwards tribe around. My mob are from around Borth but I belong to the London branch.
    OldTaff likes this.
  12. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thought I would give this thread my thoughts on this.

You buy a figure, you buy the paint you want to use.

So you can paint it any which way you like.......

If it goes a little bit wrong because you may have messed up..... Learn and do another.

Your hobby your way.