1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics/Oils

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Showlen, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Hello,

I base coated the flesh/face with acrylics and then continued with the oils to complete the highlight and shadows. At this point I'm really happy with the results, I'm afraid to touch it. However, I need to add a 5 o'clock shadow and need to know if I can do this with acrylics over oils. Not sure if I apply a very thin wash of acrylics over the oil if it would ruin it. I'm more inclined to think it's fine but don't want to take the chance and ruin it if this is not recommended. The oils are completely dry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ronnie W.
  2. Hank New Member

United-States
    With acrylics being water based I do not think U could do a thin wash on the oil...I would stick with a very thin oil wash...thats just me though...good luck !!
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Even if acrylics would apply well to the oil paint that's already on the surface I'd definitely recommend oils for this, it'll be much more controllable (not a wash though, you wouldn't use a wash for this even if you were using acrylics as it would just pool in recesses/undersides).

If you use a thin layer of oil paint you can manipulate the colour for aaages if you had to, plus if you need to clean up the edge you only need to touch it with a spirit-dampened brush, Q-tip or Colour Shaper.

Einion
  4. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Thank you Hank and Einion for your help and input! Much appreciated!

Ronnie W.
  5. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    would`nt recommend acrylics over oils. just use oil paint. you can just paint a little raw umber in beard areas and then blend into highlights. other than that, you could stipple raw umber into beard areas.