1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylic Paint Warning

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by Michael Mahoney, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Michael Mahoney Member

United-States
    The April 2016 edition of Scientific American magazine has a lengthy article concerning the rapid deterioration of acrylic paint. It goes into fine detail on what is going wrong and why and there is no cure. The paint is simply turning to gook.
    Museums are going nuts trying to save what they have in their collections.
    You might want to take another look at using the stuff.
    Michael Mahoney
    mahoneyresearch@gmail.com
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Could be interesting, ...... but at the same time, I'm aware that April Fools day is just around the corner.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Checked all mine from manys years ago ...all is fine!!!

Nap
    Babelfish and billyturnip like this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

Probably be dead my the time it affects mine.
    Mick
  5. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    The problem with varnished acrylic paintings is that you can't remove the varnish layer from the paint layer without damaging the paint layer.

The solution is simply to not varnish your figures and keep them in cabinets, far away from direct lighting. My collection of hundreds of russian figures is behind glass and in complete darkness 95% of the time.
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking at some of my earlier pieces painted in acrylics I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if the paint fell off :)
    phil_h, chailey, OldTaff and 10 others like this.
  7. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom

Absolutely - a 2nd chance to paint them. What's not to like?
    billyturnip and Eludia like this.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Quote from the article: "They believe there is a good chance the art they showcase now will not be fit to be seen in one hundred years, according to researchers"

Ah well - nothing lasts forever! And I think it's a safe bet that most of us will be dust 100 years from now. So why worry?!

- Steve
    Martin64 and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve, you will still be moderating in 2099! :LOL:
    Babelfish likes this.
  10. harto Active Member

HongKong
    Just looked up the article, the editor posted the following clarification which I hope I'm ok quoting since we reference the source material - it seems that they were talking about other materials containing plastics which became more popular post 1940 and have started to degrade; "[Editor's note: A reference to acrylics in the first paragraph has been removed on March 18, 2016, to avoid implying that acrylic artist paints will be unsuitable for display in one hundred years.]".
    Babelfish likes this.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well I'be been using them for 40 years and I have rlto say I have seen no problems yet.
    I actually finished one this week.

...using some chainmail paint that is 30 years old and still going strong.

Paul.
    housecarl likes this.
  12. mick3272 A Fixture

I bet you havn't got any biccies that are 30yrs old. or even 30 mins :joyful:
    Eludia, napoleonpeart and peedee like this.
  13. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    How much is this bet first Mick ?

Paul.
    Eludia and mick3272 like this.
  14. Michael Mahoney Member

United-States
    I just read the disclaimer on the magazine's website, but it only confuses the issue. The article then details the problems confronted with Andy Warhol and other artists use of acrylic paints. The paints are now disintegrating into globs of plastic.
    Anyway, I have never used the stuff, but thought it would be useful to those of you who do.
    Good luck.
    Michael Mahoney
  15. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW...I am SOOOOOO glad I stuck with OILS!!!!! :whistle:
    OldTaff, Range Rat and billyturnip like this.
  16. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh Dear :unsure: I have painted and sold over 200 pieces in acrylic over the years but no complaints yet

Tommi
  17. mick3272 A Fixture

Hope you didnt give them a warranty or guarantee :LOL:
    Mick
    Tommi likes this.
  18. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=AN...ylic paintings longevity conservation&f=false

Interesting article showing that acrylic paintings are indeed very stable and require minimum conservative measures. However here are a few key points to remember :

-acrylic paint film is less resistant to physical damage so our figures should be handled with care. In other terms, once installed on its base, leave it alone. However the acrylic paint film is much more elastic and flexible than an oil one so acrylic paint will not crack easily.
    -protect your figures from harmful light
    -dirt will become part of the acrylic paint film and can not be removed so keep you figures behind glass.
    -do not contaminate the surface of your painting with your fingers. That grease will stay there and collect dirt.
    -acrylic paint film will get easily damaged under 0C and over 60C so always store figures accordingly an be very careful when you ship or transport then in the cold winter.

If you follow those simple guidelines, I bet that your acrylic painted figures will still be in pristine shape in a century or two.
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  19. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Michael back in the late sixty's I was knocking out abstract paintings in acrylics to sell to the tourists at inflated prices Ohoo Hippy Days, Ohoo Hippy Days . I can assure you the acrylics used then where a much different paint from what is on the market now , it was almost a plastic that you could peel off . I have every confident's in todays acrylics , and remember oils paints and oil paint based paints like Humbrol yellow with age so you got to expect some changes on your painted figures unless you keep them in an air sealed unit and out of natural daylight .
    chippy
  20. Vermis Member

United-Kingdom