1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review ACModels Modern Brit Afghanistan 16008

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by newtonk, Jul 21, 2012.

1. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Modern Brit [sic] in Afghanistan, ACM16008
    I purchased this figure from Hobby Easy and received it within a week. The figure arrived in a stout cardboard box with a photo of the completed, unpainted, figure on the front.
    On opening the box, I found the following parts and pieces:
    · A base with ground work texture
    · Legs and torso as a single piece
    · One head, complete with neck and collar
    · Right arm and rifle as a single piece
    · Left arm and hand holding rifle vertical fore grip
    · Two helmets, one with webbing and one with mesh
    · One ruck sack/ backpack
    · Two lengths of wire, different gauges
    · Two lengths of tube
    · A rifle sight
    · A white light for the rifle
    · A mouth piece for a drinking tube (camel-back)
    · A length of foil and
    · A photograph of the figure from the reverse side of the box top
    What wasn’t in the contents, which I’d of liked, is a parts count so I know I’ve received everything I should. The two photos serve as sufficient instructions given the low part count of this figure.
    There are three standout features of this figure that really caught my attention; firstly, there are no casting blocks to clean up. Whatsoever. Secondly, the single piece torso with legs. Fantastic. Thirdly, the amount of detail packed onto the single piece. Amazing.
    Without cleaning up a single piece, I was able to almost completely assemble the figure: legs with torso, left arm, head and helmet, backpack, standing on the base. Incredible. I’ve a number of 1/16th scale/ 120mm figures (Air Bourne Miniatures, Alpine, SOL, Verlinden) and none can be assembled this easily. The fit on all parts was very positive, not at all sloppy, reducing the likelihood of misaligned limbs later on.
    The resin is poured in via the connection points between the parts and is nicely rounded off. Classy.
    That said, and I don’t know whether it is only my example, but there is a fair amount of flash to be cleaned up with some ugly mould seams needing attention, particularly around the legs and back pack. and between the right arm and rifle. I reckon this can be done without any loss of detail, which is there in spades.
    Comparing the figure to photographs downloaded from such sites as militaryphotos.net, it is accurate and depicts a currently serving soldier in the British Army, Afghanistan. As I don’t have access to the real items, I can only compare between resin and real with my eye, and all parts look accurate; by that I mean that the rifle is in proportion to the figure, the rifle sight and light are to the rifle, the various webbing items to each other. There is nothing that is obviously over or under sized.
    The figure is well animated, depicting a soldier ducking behind cover, about to take a shot (or avoiding one).
    The only real downside to this figure is that there is so little choice in the matter. There is no option on how to assemble it, or how webbing items are arranged. It will take a fair amount of scratch building/ casting to individualise this guy. So I really hope that there will be a companion figure soon. Maybe alternative arms with another firearm? Hopefully one letting loose with a GPMG or LAW?
    It will be up to the individual modeller to research how this guy will be finished, as no painting instructions are included. My research suggests that it can be either desert cam or MTP (for the brave). I’m currently reading “Dead Men Risen” (great read by the way), and want to finish it as a Welsh Guards, so I’ve some trawling on the net to get the correct patches and camo needed.
    I’m definitely happy with my purchase and would recommend this figure to anyone interested in modern British figures. Thanks to AC Models for contributing to and expanding the range of modern British subjects available.
    I hope that this is of some help to another modeller considering purchasing this figure.

24/07/12
    on closer inspection the rifle vertical foregrip has a small peg that matches well to a small hole in the rifle, the right arm does not fit well to the shoulder (this may be because I've not cleaned up the figure at all) and there are no air bubbles present in the casting. I'm working on photographs, I only have a a small digital, auto focus camera that is struggling with meaningful close-ups! Bare with me.
    Don and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Any chance of some photos?

Mike
  3. Don Well-Known Member

Did you manage to get a photo of this figure as Andy has quite a few new figures coming out but cant find any number to cross reference your post.

Don
  4. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    hi Don, affirm, I did, but they don't do the figure justice. I'm working on it. What did he want to cross reference?

And, any insight into those new figures you mention? I'm keen on any like this beauty!

Cheers,

Kylie
    (finaly a fine day in Akld)
  5. Don Well-Known Member

Kylie I was trying to cross ref. against the other new figures of British Soldiers in sandy places. However I went back to your post and you had described your figure to a T and I can only say it was a senior moment when I missed almost your complete post, sorry mate.
    His new figures have a couple of busts and the figure you described. They are on his website so should be easy to find. He does a lovely figure of a British soldier standing and I am doing one presently which will be part of a group.
    I have several of Andies figures and every one is a cracker and so easy to assemble and fit.
    The one I describe is standing with SA80 at his side and he is wearing a "Tam O Shanter" the soft hat of the Scottish regiments, also comes with a helmet. I know its on SK Miniatures website and on Andies website.

Don
  6. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Don, Don, Don, you had me going there for a moment, I was expecting big things from AC Models, but we were talking about the same figure the whole time!!!! Propably saved me some money though, so thanks.

I'm interested in the figure you describe, do you have any photos you can share?

tia

Kylie