1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Achilles SBS 1. Base Coat

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia

Beautiful work Tony!

Really nice job on that bust(s).

Cheers,
    Jeff.
  2. Mark S Guest

Yeah,they're workin' for me,Tony.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Tony,
    I saw these two also last weekend together on one display at our AMSS show.
    It is some awesome couple, and looks great when they are together.

Marc
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Guys,

I've done a bit more work on Achilles over the past few days, mainly on the flesh tones and the armour. I've decided to tone down the sun tan by brushing a thin wash of base flesh colour over the whole face, which helps to lighten the overall skin tone,and helps even out the contrast between the shadows and the highlights. I've also boosted the light blue highlights in the eyes.

Next step is the shield and sword.

Comments/ criticisms welcome.

PS. Marc, do you have any pics of the Hector & Achilles busts presented at last weekends show. I've checked the links and I can only see them as individual pieces, not as a pair.

Attached Files:

5. Mark S Guest

Tony,It's looking great mate.
    I think you,ve got the skin tones spot on and your right with the eyes.
    But he looks a bit rouged up IMO from these pics.I'd tone down the lips and maybe give them a pale outline.
    But they're just my thoughts as a casual observer mate cause the work your doing lately puts you out of my league.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mark,

As usual you're spot on mate:D . I took the latest pics after having just given the lips a coat of red, and it does need toning down.

My wife told me the lips needed more colour after the last pics. That's the last time I ask her for advice about Brad Pitt's lips!!!:mad:

Cheers
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Latest pics.:D :D :D

Cheers

Attached Files:

8. Mark S Guest

Beautiful work,Tony.
    The effort you've put into this one has really paid off.
    You've managed to achieve the sunburnt effect while still keeping an overall pale complexion.How do ya do that?
    Great work overall.
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    HI Mark,

Thanks once again for your comments.

The skin tone effect was achieved by brushing orange/ brown pastels over all the flesh areas (concentrating on the shadow areas). The overall effect is much more subtle than before and allows the pale base colours to show through, but still allows the skin to have a tint of sun tan, which is the effect I was hoping to achieve.

Once I brushed on the pastels, I blew most of them off,and then I sprayed the bust with Modelmasters Lusterless Flat (Dullcoat) to seal the pastels to the surface and prevent them from being brushed off.

Once this was dry,I then picked out some of the areas of skin (and the eyeballs) that would have some shine on them with a thin coat of gloss acrylic. The flat spray dulls the sheen on the metal surfaces,so the next step will be to punch up some of the armour sheen with some thin coats of gloss acrylic.

I'm painting the sword at the moment, and have decided to fix it in place behind his right shoulder, rather than under the shield as shown in the box art.

Cheers