1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Achab ... more progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by franck edet, Oct 17, 2018.

1. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Hello friends, i am still working on this bust which is a joy to paint. I've choose to go for a very used leather for his jacket and the nmm are almost done. I would like to hear your comments as something is bothering me but i can't put the finger on what it is ... maybe the scarf ?
    FB_IMG_1539766052591.jpg FB_IMG_1539766064346.jpg FB_IMG_1539766076113.jpg

Happy painting !
    marco55 and santi fernandez like this.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Franck....if I may...definitely change the scarf....other thing I would do is darken the wood on the gun.

Regards

Ron
  3. chailey Active Member

England
    I like the worn leather very much, very well handled, could be that the eyes need a little work?

Steve
  4. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you both your advices are spot on i think :)
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Franck,
    Personally I always have this image of Captain Ahab being a hard, salty, gnarly old timer, weather beaten and slightly scruffy (a dirt under the finger nails type guy).

I'm certainly not knocking your painting as it is nicely done(y) , but a bit too pristine for my taste, especially for this character, the clay pipe and the rifle look brand new and not like prized possessions handled over many years.
    I agree about the scarf....too Rupert the Bear!
    cheers
    Richie
    franck edet likes this.