1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

About Milliput

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Edson, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hi guys
    , im starting to use Milliput, and guess my first intent was not good, becouse the ball of milliput never cure it, How long time it takes to cure?

maybe i mix wrong the two parts, or maybe take to much time to cure the milliput ??

What do you thing?

BTW, im trying to copy the S-b-S from the Gordy´s Mickey Mantle
    Cheers
    Edson (y)
  2. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hi guys
    , im starting to use Milliput, and guess my first intent was not good, becouse the ball of milliput never cure it, How long time it takes to cure?

maybe i mix wrong the two parts, or maybe take to much time to cure the milliput ??

What do you thing?

BTW, im trying to copy the S-b-S from the Gordy´s Mickey Mantle
    Cheers
    Edson (y)
  3. Edson Member

Mexico
    Thanks keith, yes maybe i didn´t mix the parts the necesary time, these night, i will try again , whish me luck

Regards
    Ed (y)
  4. Edson Member

Mexico
    Thanks keith, yes maybe i didn´t mix the parts the necesary time, these night, i will try again , whish me luck

Regards
    Ed (y)
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    sorry to hear it :)
    one of the reasons i switched from the white to yellow-grey was just that.. half-way through the tubes i'd lose track if i had two of the same component <_< where as the the yellow-grey is just that - no more mistakes

when i first get a pack, i open it up and leave the tubes out in the open to soak up the humidity, it makes them softer.. your mileage may vary

as for drying it will firm up to unworkable in roughly 45 min, dried on it's own (overnight/4-5 hours) it becomes cured but hard like dried mud, oven cured (15-20minutes)it gets very hard like stone..

I've gotten used to "glazing" my uncured pieces with saliva, it makes them a consistent grey color when baked. Where as, with out the "spit glaze" i'll get varying shades of a light olive color which is distracting.. wierd I know
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    sorry to hear it :)
    one of the reasons i switched from the white to yellow-grey was just that.. half-way through the tubes i'd lose track if i had two of the same component <_< where as the the yellow-grey is just that - no more mistakes

when i first get a pack, i open it up and leave the tubes out in the open to soak up the humidity, it makes them softer.. your mileage may vary

as for drying it will firm up to unworkable in roughly 45 min, dried on it's own (overnight/4-5 hours) it becomes cured but hard like dried mud, oven cured (15-20minutes)it gets very hard like stone..

I've gotten used to "glazing" my uncured pieces with saliva, it makes them a consistent grey color when baked. Where as, with out the "spit glaze" i'll get varying shades of a light olive color which is distracting.. wierd I know
  7. Richard E New Member

Hi Edson

I use the white Milliput almost exclusively, but you have to be careful about getting the right mix. I've found that if you make 60% clear bag to 40% blue bag (can't think of a better way of describing it), it will cure under a 60w bulb in about 15 minutes, enough to start sanding or carving.

Hope this helps.

Richard
  8. Richard E New Member

Hi Edson

I use the white Milliput almost exclusively, but you have to be careful about getting the right mix. I've found that if you make 60% clear bag to 40% blue bag (can't think of a better way of describing it), it will cure under a 60w bulb in about 15 minutes, enough to start sanding or carving.

Hope this helps.

Richard
  9. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hey Richard, these is great buddy!!!, thanks a lot, it will be very usefull (y)

and thanks for the description too

Regards
    Ed
  10. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hey Richard, these is great buddy!!!, thanks a lot, it will be very usefull (y)

and thanks for the description too

Regards
    Ed
  11. Edson Member

Mexico
    thanks for the info Gordy, and for the Workbench too

A few moment ago i remixed the ball that i maked tonight and SURPRISE after 2hrs the ball started to cure quickly, so maybe i just had to remix verywell and done!!

the curse of be a Rookie Lol!!!!!

Cheers
    Ed (y)
  12. Edson Member

Mexico
    thanks for the info Gordy, and for the Workbench too

A few moment ago i remixed the ball that i maked tonight and SURPRISE after 2hrs the ball started to cure quickly, so maybe i just had to remix verywell and done!!

the curse of be a Rookie Lol!!!!!

Cheers
    Ed (y)
  13. Kamil Feliks Sztarbala New Member

Poland
    I'am using only superfine whire millipuit. And only one time I have had troubles with that putty. But i think the reason of any troubles with millipu is mixing. And sometimes temperature- for example, when is cold millipus is strange.. In winter sculpting in cold bus is impossible
  14. Kamil Feliks Sztarbala New Member

Poland
    I'am using only superfine whire millipuit. And only one time I have had troubles with that putty. But i think the reason of any troubles with millipu is mixing. And sometimes temperature- for example, when is cold millipus is strange.. In winter sculpting in cold bus is impossible
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Great way to find out the ins and outs of the materials we use for sculpting, great thread.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Great way to find out the ins and outs of the materials we use for sculpting, great thread.~Gary
  17. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    very true, it's doing that now!
  18. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    very true, it's doing that now!