1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Aborigine 1/9th scale bust, Alliance Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tony Dawe, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys

I’ve made a start on this exceptional bust of an Australian Aboriginal, based on actor David Gulpilil , who plays King George in the movie “Australia”
    06B197E6-08AA-4241-AB9B-035417D669F9.jpeg
    Nap, Pedro, razor and 6 others like this.
  2. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Three hour paint session tonight . Now I can watch the cricket. 34D84700-720A-4729-9D75-6354A95A53B8.jpeg
    Nap, DaddyO, Old Pete and 8 others like this.
  3. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony, this is coming on beautifully: the leathery skin tones and highlight are fantastic (y)

Funnily enough, the more I see this guy, the more he looks like my wife's deceased Uncle James (though a tad lighter, he was 'coloured' S African and probably had some San blood in him: they also have a hunter gatherer culture and share some physical characteristics with the Auz Aborigines).

BTW: do you know my Uncle Eric... he's dead now but he lived in Australia :rolleyes:
    Nap and Tony Dawe like this.
  4. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    You're excelling yourself with this fella Tony.
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic work on this superb bust Tony. Excellent skin tones.
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice bust with excellent progress...….Now you got me thinking about pulling out my "Quigley Down Under" DVD……….( "I said I had no use for paint;.... never said I didn't know how to use it")………..:facepalm:......Sorry, …… I get that way sometimes.

Wayne:)
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  7. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments folks. I’m feeling my mojo return on this bust. All painted with acrylics so far. Oils will follow soon. CF758528-E7F6-43BC-A06A-2E62065E392B.jpeg
    RantaN and NeilW like this.
  8. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking great so far Tony
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  9. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    I’ve cracked on with the oil paints. There are still a few more steps to go.
    45E0F2BB-CC8E-476B-BABD-E69D868F3036.jpeg 7DA040FB-BAA0-4833-8939-23E9409E3A67.jpeg 6C5FD9C3-DAE9-4308-BF89-9DC8AA35EC73.jpeg C78B02BA-7C00-4785-9A5D-968020FAD049.jpeg 6C85A565-29E3-43F8-9801-48AFCBC1E4A6.jpeg 21BFEFC5-64E7-4D43-9A9F-ECC2B1CE0AA1.jpeg
    Jed, Nap, Chris Oldfield and 7 others like this.
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That is fantastic painting, beautiful. You have given life to the bust.
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  11. Ferris A Fixture

That’s pretty excellent Tony! Very lifelike skintones and piercing eyes.

Perhaps you can still get at the small mold seam at one of the spears (at the attachment of the point).

Cheers
    Adrian
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  12. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Very nicely painted, Tony (y)

Amazing work with the eyes in particular!

Cheers!

Dolf
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

Blimey I move house and this is finished...looks great mate especially those eyes and the skin sheen

...must admit adding oils works well ...just out of interest what mixes did you use for Acrylcs and the Oils

Great to see the mojo coming back long may it continue

Can't wait to get my bench set up again !!!

Happy benchtime one and all

Nap

PS the weapon points ..... How have you painted them what material ..steel, bone ?
  14. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for all your comments chaps. I greatly appreciate your comments.

Nap, the spears are wooden as are the spear tips. They are typically made from hardwoods like Iron Bark or Mulga trees depending on which part of the country you want to depict.

The colours used include burnt Umber, Raw Umber, burnt sienna and gold ochre. I used the same colours in acrylics and oils with gold ochre forming the primary highlight colour.
    Nap likes this.
  15. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Superb work Tony
    Tony Dawe likes this.