1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Abalam by Hera Models

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by milbenplage, Jul 23, 2022.

1. milbenplage Active Member

So ... this is an older WIP that still has it's place on my shelf of shame. I had this bust for years now and I painted it before, but never finished. Right now ... it's on hold.

001 Sketch.JPG

I used a mix of Black, Dark Sea Blue and Royal Purple (all VMC) for the basecoat. I mixed Dark Sea Blue and Emerald or Blue Green (VMC) to highlight the face. To brighten it up I used Sunny Skin Tone (VMC) and Ivory (VGC). I used German Dark Camo Green, English Uniform (both VMC) and Ivory to sketch the gold shoulderpad.

002 Sketch.JPG

I added more Sunny Skin Tone to the mix of Dark Sea Blue and Emerald. Here and there I used glazes of Emerald or Blue Green to add tone again.
    I added some Hawk Turquoise (Citadel) glazes to the shoulderpad. I had seen Arnou's Athena ... and I wanted to see of this would work with the blue/green face of this guy.

IMG_20220318_231231 (1).jpg

I mixed Ivory into the previous mix for the face. (Adding to much Sunny Skin Tone turned the mix into a strange green.) I used Slaanesh Grey (Citadel), Emerald, Dark Sea Blue, Royal Purple (rest VMC) to add some tones into shadows. I used Brown Rose (VMC) for some parts around the eye and his ear.

IMG_20220327_231350_1-01.jpeg

I started to refine the work on the shoulder pad. I used the same colors I used for the sketch.
    I had some ideas for some nice geometric patterns on his chest armor (and I tried some), but decided that a simple leather texture would be enough. This is Dark Sea Blue mixed with Sunny Skin Tone.

IMG_20220403_211714.jpg 003 Sketch.JPG

At a certain point I came to the conclusion, that I don't like the gold at all and that I need to add another color to the palette. I choose orange. I can't really tell what colors I used in which order. But I added Japanese Uniform (VMC), Fire Dragon Bright, Troll Slayer Orange and Sotek Green (all Citadel) to the mix.
  2. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Fantastic work, nice looking bust..
    milbenplage likes this.
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Mate!!!!
    Lovely work - you gotta be kinder to yourself.
    This is important step I’m sure in your learning journey.
    Full of character & colour with real attitude.
    Pop him up proudly, then move on.
    Thanks for inspiring us all.
    MikeTheKiwi
    milbenplage likes this.
  4. milbenplage Active Member

Thank you!

Changing things is a common thing for me. I paint ... if I don't like it, I change it. He's sitting on the shelf because I started some other projects (I'll post here soon). He will be back on the painting table soonish. I haven't thought about the other side of the miniature too much until now.
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  5. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Change is Ok - but can be repetitive if working on same canvas.
    We learn more by leaning into new creative projects.
    Those that challenge us in different ways.
    Cannot wait to see what else you share with us.
    And do keep sharing your artistic details.
    This benefits us all.
    What’s Next?
    MikeTheKiwi
    Nap likes this.
  6. Giwe Well-Known Member

Germany
    Excellent paintwork, looks awesome!
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Not my subject , but it's certainly a interesting flesh colouring , I like the gold personally

Totally agree. With Mikes comments in his last post

Sure this will get back to the bench

Look forward to that ....and what you have coming ...a pleasure to see

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  9. milbenplage Active Member

I made some progress ... not really, but it looks different.
    I read some books and articles latley and changed my mind in terms of atmosphere and lighting.
    I looked at Abalam after some months and thought that it didn't work for me anymore. I love how the shoulderpad turned out, but it didn't fit my vision anymore.

I decided that I should go for a dark/black theme with his head as single focus point.
    First of all I painted everything black except his face.

I started sketching a pattern. Here is a pic of the process. I sketched some more lines than I ended up with.
    IMG_20221113_165516.jpg

I also added some red lights as "OSL"-effect. This is the current status.
    IMG_20221115_210220.jpg