1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A Wee Jacobite

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi folks;

I had promised myself I would wait until Euro to buy any new figures in order to take advantage of the Vendors area. But I couldn't handle sitting around for six weeks and not do any painting. So, I decided to try my hand at sculpting, as I had a few JMD mannequins left over from my trip to Girona last summer.

So here is a very rare attempt on my part to enter the world of sculpting. I used Milliput extra fine white putty, whereas I usually prefer Magic Sculp, but I haven't been able to track any down here in the UK...yet. I started him soon after I arrived in early August. I have a few minor details left to take care of. For example, I am finishing up the broad sword, but left it off to facilitate painting, and the same goes for his left hand, the dirk and all the buttons. Hopefully the base I ordered will show up in the next day or so, and I can start on the ground work. Please let me know what you think! I'll get back to you all in a few days as I am off to London on a conference Thursday and Friday and will not be able to access the planet until my return. Cheers everyone, and thanks for looking.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dang Glenn!! That is very, very nice!! For one of your first pieces that is very nice. And to have made it out of Superfine Milliput it makes it even better, think what you could do with Magic Sculpt!

See you at Euro in a few weeks!
  3. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Most kind of you to say Anders. Really looking forward to seeing some of your sculpts at Euro. Have a safe journey over!
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Glen,
    Great job and this is your first?. WOW.
    Cheers
    John
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Glenn, Nice work. Looks like you've been bitten by the bug. ~Gary
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Glenn,

Very nice! Hits the soft spot for me..LOVE those Highlanders!

Joe
  7. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks John, I've tried a few times but this is the first 54mm I've ever completed.

Hi Gary, I can sure see why people enjoy this aspect of the hobby, it's very satisfying to paint something you created yourself.

Thanks as well Joe, it's easy to be inspired when you can see the Highlands out of your front window.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Welcome to the Dark Side mate. Lovely sculpting on your wee man. I hope you'll stick at it as you appear to have a natural talent for sculpting.
  9. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Glen, super work here! Very impressive for a first attempt. Looking forward to seeing him with some paint splashed on.

Jay H.
  10. Einion Well-Known Member

That's looking pretty nice Glenn, you have my sympathies being forced to work in Milliput once accustomed to MagicSculp!

In the UK you can get MS from Sylmasta, although even with shipping it might still work out cheaper to order from the US*, ditto with Kneadatite if you need any of that.

Back to the sculpt, the legs look a bit skinny and columnar to me, although the knees are quite well done (knees are tricky!). On his right one the swell of the calf is a bit high.

On the clothing, the socks look very heavy; they can be done at this scale with only a painted representation of the upper edge, some sculpting only needed around the ankle area where they're baggy as leg narrows. Conversely I think there should be more bulk to the kilt, with a lot more pleating evident on the back.

*MagicSculp can still be found for $30-$35 for 5lb

Einion
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Glenn
    nicely done look forward to seeing it in the 'flesh'.
    If you're free how about we go to the club in Irvine next Tuesday.
    It meets from 6.30 'til 9.00. You can drop me a pm with your address and I'll pick you up at 5.50.
    That way you can put faces to some names before Euro.
    cheers
    Derek
  12. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Very nice Glenn look forward to the painting. You will be able to get "magicsculpt" from El Greco Miniatures here in the UK.
    Barrie.
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    really nice work for your first figure and a great subject choice, yes there are some points could be better but thats the fun of sculpting, making each one better than the last.

For El Greco Miniatures(U.K), check the adds in the right hand column of this page for a link to them.

Steve
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Glenn,
    For what my opinion is something to you ( i cannot sculpt but know something about anatomy).
    In proportion the head of the figure is to large. The shoulders are to small. And the knees, well Einion said that.
    Mostly male figure's are smaller on the hips then the shoulder (at least when they have a training). In your figure it is otherwise. It's looking like a triangel.
    Don't understand me wrong, i'm only trying to help.

Marc
  15. Don Well-Known Member

Hey Glenn If you and Derek are coming over to the Irvine club on tuesday I can give you some Magicsculpt, at least enough till you get to Euro and can get some of your own.
    Hope you can manage the club as it would be nice to meet you before Euro.

Don
  16. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Guys;

Just got back from London and was quite pleased to see you all dropped in to have a look. Please forgive me if I don't respond to everyone individually, I suppose that's what happens when you don't check in for a few days. Many thanks to everyone for your interest and your suggestions. I know they are all well meant and be assured they are taken in the best possible spirit. I wouldn't have posted him here if I didn't want suggestions for improvement, so thanks and I'll try to incorporate your tips on the next sculpting project. Which by the way will be done using Magic Sculpt just as soon as I can get my hands on some. Derek, PM is on the way!

Cheers, thanks again and I'll see many of you in Folkestone! (I'll be the one with the silly grin on his face)

Glenn
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Glenn,

Stunning figure, congratulations!
  18. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Look forward to seeing this figure in the flesh Glenn and meeting you at the club next week.

Cheers David
  19. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Pedro, very kind of you to say.
    Thanks as well David, I am quite excited at the prospect of getting together with some figure modelers. There are only a very few of us where I come from.
  20. Argyll Member

Scotland
    I like it, but the kilt is a tad too short, worn correctly it's supposed to just touch the floor when on your knees ;)