1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A Visit to the Aviation Heritage Centre at RAAF Base Amberley

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by RossM, Mar 14, 2020.

1. RossM Active Member

Australia
    This past Sunday, I took a trip out to the Heritage Centre at RAAF Base Amberley with my 5-year-old daughter. Under the control of the RAAF’s History and Heritage Branch that is headed up by an Air Commodore, the Air Force operates several such centres at bases around Australia. Given Australia’s size, these centres are an effective way of disseminating the RAAF’s story to the population.

I had previously visited the centre at Amberley back in 2017; however, I never got the chance to take any photos of the aircraft on display. So, this time around, I came armed and ready to take some pictures. The centre at Amberley has a good range of aircraft on display including two GAF Canberras!

Many of the usual suspects are there including, appropriately, an F-111; Amberley was the home base for the ‘Pig’ in RAAF service. However, for me, the highlight was the Douglas A-20G Havoc that they have on display. This aircraft has a fascinating modern history as, unlike the rest of the collection, the RAAF does not own it. Instead, the Government of Papua New Guinea (PNG) own it. The airframe was one of two restored from several wrecks recovered in PNG in the 1980s. The aircraft was restored by 1996 and was due to be displayed in PNG. However, for various reasons that has still yet to come to pass.

Here are some of the photos.

Douglas A-20G Havoc

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    General Dynamics F-111C

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Dassault Mirage IIIO

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    CAC CA-19 Boomerang

The Cars

As well as the aircraft on display, Kustoms of Australia also had a display on at the Centre.

You can find more photos at my new Facebook page here.

Continue reading...
    Chris Oldfield likes this.