1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP A view from the crowded bench

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by akaryu, Mar 31, 2020.

1. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Some busts in different stages of progress: Bigeard undercoated, French legionnaire of the CSPL conversion based on an old Dreamcatcher spahi bust and Mr Nungesser waiting for his coat to dry. Once his coat has dried, he'll make it to the finish, just a few medals to be done, the red top of his képi and all braiding, buttons and insignia in silver, for he was a light cavalry officer.

P1000835.jpg

cheers,

Pierre
    Oda, Borek, Martin64 and 2 others like this.
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

Great to see these fellows on the bench

Oh how I wish I had that Nungesser bust

Your progressing better than me on the Bigeard .....was going to possibly change the rank to a general ( 4 stars on dark blue backing )

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Oda and akaryu like this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So much Frenchness going on there that it almost makes me feel like nonchalantly shrugging my shoulders, pouring myself a nice glass of white and reaching for the Camenbert while taking a lazy drag on a Gauloises.

A great selection of Gallic subjects, all coming along great. Very much looking forward to seeing the end results.

- Steve
    Oda, Nap and akaryu like this.
  4. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Pierre

A very nice trio, look forward to see more .
    akaryu and Nap like this.
  5. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Steve,

Rather Gallic a selection indeed, probably because of my interest in paras, flyboys and la Légion Etrangère:)! But actually just a coincidence.

Nap,

Careful with promoting "Bruno". The bust is obviously based on a picture of the fifties, when Bigeard was commanding 8RPIMa / 8RPC as lieutenant-colonel and later as colonel. He only became a brigadier-général on August 1 1967 and général de corps d'armée, four-star general on 1st March 1974. I doubt if as a four-star general he wore his camouflaged paratrooper uniform very often. On this bust he is wearing the star/plaque of Grand Officier de la Légion d'Honneur which he was awarded on 14 July 1956. That places this bust in the timeframe 14 July 1956 - 1959.

19biegard-popup.jpg
    Happy painting!

Pierre
    Oda, Babelfish and Nap like this.
  6. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

Many thanks for the details ....no stars for him !

Going to paint as box art ..no camo !

Happy bench time

Stay safe

Nap

Nap
    akaryu likes this.
  7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre,

A very nice trio of busts - I particularly like Bigeard (I’d be interested to see what you do with his camouflage smock & medals) & the skin tones on Nungesser look excellent!
    akaryu likes this.
  8. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium

Thanks for your interest Chris!
    I've never done WIP photos before, but there is a first time for everything, so I'll try to put up some mugshots of this Gallic threesome as they progress. Nungesser is out of the game for the moment, as the cavalry light blue will take days to dry. So next will be the legionnaire face makeup and the base coat for his striped djellaba, Bigeard's eyes and his face and then of course his jacket, which will take weeks for the successive coats to dry, first the light sage green base, then the brown and green tiger stripe pattern. Luckily we have time on our side:)!

Cheers,

Pierre
    Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  9. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Pierre,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, we've definitely got plenty of modelling time on our hands at the moment!
    Good luck & stay safe.

All the best,
    Chris
    akaryu likes this.
  10. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

It woukd be great to see a camo SBS here if possible ...might even tempt me to do it !

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Oda, Chris Oldfield and akaryu like this.
  11. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Wilco! But it will be a long process, so bear with me!

Cheers,

Pierre
    Nap likes this.
  12. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Slight progress on this happy Gallic threesome!

1. Mister Nungesser's jacket is considered finished with a passable rendition of the light cavalry blue (not 'blue horizon', the wartime shade!) and his medal ribbons having a first coat in their main colour. Next will be all the silver braiding & buttons and more work on medals&decorations, keeping the képi for the final.

2. Our legionnaire from the Sahara company has his face done, djellaba painted first in a brown mix, then when dry tiny amounts of undiluted Naples yellow light dirtied with a speck of burnt umber stippled on and feathered out with a flat bristly No4 to simulate the djellaba's rough wool. Next step will be the painting of alternating fine offwhite and dark sepia stripes on the djellaba.

3. Colonel Bigeard is staring at me with bright eyes. Next will be first oils at his face and appropriate base coats to identify his array of medals & decorations.

During a break three nameplates were designed for these fine gentlemen and printed on glossy photo paper for later use.

P1000839.jpg

Thanks for your patience,

Pierre
    KenBoyle, Martin64, Oda and 2 others like this.
  13. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Hi!

No progress today on the trio, but a little file to help me clarify the array of orders and medals Mr Bigeard is wearing in this bust. It might possible be of some help to anyone about to tackle this representation. Also a photo of the medals kept in the Musée de l'Armée. The Medaille de évadés (I in my picture) has the wrong but very similar ribbon of the Medaille des Combattants Volontaires 1914-1918 (central stripe red instead of orange).

Cheers,
    Pierre

MedaillesBigeard.png

Attached Files:

KenBoyle, Oda and Chris Oldfield like this.
  14. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

Great reference

The ribbon should be

image.jpeg

Strange the ribbon is different in the museum set .....what do you think it is ??......intriguing

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  15. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

Downloaded the PDF thought I would post the details ...great reference for me !!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  16. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Glad it is of some use!
    Next to the Médaille de la Résistance the letter I in the photo of the bust is the Médaille des évadés but with the ribbon of the WW1 Croix des Combatants volontaires, probably Bigeard didn't bother too much to get the right ribbon. It is positively identified as such by the staff of the Musée de l'Armée in Paris who have Bigeard's medals which include of course some from his later years.

Pierre
    Nap likes this.
  17. akaryu PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    Hello again!

Here's what happened to the Gallic threesome during those balmy days "confined to barracks" as it were:

1 Mr Nungesser got his metalwork done and a start was made on his medal ribbons, the detailing will of course take some more time....

2 The legionnaire has got stripes on his djellaba and is waiting to have his chechia and leatherwork painted in a next step.

3 Mr Bigeard is still in his early days but he has got some color on his face, hair and smock. Next he will need some washes to bring his greying hair together and shadows and highlights on his face. The green of the camo smock will be toned down to the correct shade with washes of Burnt Umber and highlights of Naples Yellow Light feathered out wet on dry to kill the flashy shiny green, once that done it is time for the dark green and brown stripes. Still a lot of work in fact.

P1000841.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pierre
    KenBoyle, Chris Oldfield and Martin64 like this.
  18. Cannonball A Fixture

Really interesting group Pierre and some great reference material. Lovely blue on Nungesser’s tunic and looking forward to the progress on Bigeard’s camouflage.

Neal
  19. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

They are really coming along nicely

Very neat painting on the legionnaire

As for Mr N , as Neal says that's a lovely blue and the medals are starting to come together now ...I have one of this coming from Gordon Mitchell who has kindly cast a copy which is much appreciated

Mr B .....nice start on base colour ...I have this on my bench being basecoated so following the camo very carefully on yours .....or I might just go for a plain green ....a contrast to the medals

Please do post any references you have for noth Mr N and B ...I need all the help I can get !!

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap

PS I see some nice pieces in the background as well
    akaryu likes this.
  20. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Beautiful set of busts, Pierre - Bigeard in particular is really starting to pop now, especially his medals. Same goes for Nungesser too, excellent work on all.