1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique A view from the bench

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by akaryu, Aug 20, 2020.

1. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    First oils on the Marshal Rokossovskiy bust from Legion Miniatures trying to approach that elusive blue, described as wave blue, ocean blue and some other fancy names: on an undercoat of Humbrol Non-specular Sea blue from ages ago, the first oil coat is a mix of W&N Winsor Blue, toned down with Mussini Raw Umber and a touch of W&N Oxide of Chromium and a speck of Tit.White. First prudent highlights with Mussini Flesh in the fresh.

I wonder where that will lead me (and Mr Rokossovskiy of course)! The photos don't reproduce the blue as it looks darker in reality.

P1000908.jpg P1000909.jpg

Thank for looking,

Pierre
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Pierre

WHAT!!!!!...........is this ...I see lots of medals .....so guess who is following this thread

Great start as always

What's that one with medals behind the heads ??....and the one behind the Cossack ?

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Hi Nap,

The headless one is a Légionnaire, Tonkin, in walking out dress, a conversion based on an old Verlinden French officer. Eventually he will be reunited with the head in the colonial helmet next to Rokossovskiy's one. Lurking behind this headless hero is Young's Légionnaire modified to not look like Jean Reno and provided with a Adrian helmet.

Mike Good's Don Cossack from Steve Kirtley's stable is just being amused in his base coat. behind his right arm is the elegant setting to put him in Paris 1814.

In the distance, as should be is a Soviet razvedchik in 75mm in a swampy setting, a 3D print made by a friendly French. He in turn is flanked by A Polish uhlan bust from Black Army and the Spanish anarchist lady. Sneaking in between all that is Verlinden's Kornilovski, trying to jump the queue.

That should could be happy and occupied for the rest of the year!

cheers,

Pierre
    Nap likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Pierre

Thanks for reply ...of course I remember the conversion from your last "view from the bench" ...the one with "Bruno" and the very illusive Nungesser ( illusive to me at least ....still looking ...lol )

I have the Polish Uhlan ....sitting in the GA .....nice piece as is the FeR Spanish senorita

Look forward to more views from your bench

Happy benchtime

Nap
  5. eddie_C96 Member

6. Nap Moderator

England
  7. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Thank you Andreï!

You are correct regarding the Mongol order.
    And thank you for your remarks on the Don Cossack. As the figure was very difficult to find, being long out of production, I painted it as it came out of the box. I think it was made in the 80's, when it was difficult to obtain detailled information on Russian/Soviet uniforms, which explains the many mistakes in older figures.
    Now we are very lucky to have Staryy Tseykhgauz magazine and the books from Russkiye Vityazi! And of course, all the direct contacts with Russian figure sculptors and painters!

Pierre
    Nap likes this.
  8. eddie_C96 Member

akaryu and Nap like this.
  9. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Спасибо большое

No problem, I can read Russian, speaking is still difficult though.

до скорого!