1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A very stubborn beast...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Calvin, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Calvin Member

As a beginner, every time I see other people work, I wonder on how the result as been achieved, rater than the final result by itself. This is the reason for which I really enjoy seeing detailed step by step, like some people does here in Planet.
    Really, I've nothing to teach here, just showing the way I do it.

The figure is one of the recent releases of La Meridiana, a beautiful XV century Italian mercenary, sculpted by Stefano Sartorello (here the box art version painted by Massimo Moro).

[IMG]

The kit (RI54-11) is composed by 15 pieces of white metal.

[IMG]

[IMG]

About the how-to issue, looking at the setting, it seems to me that the sculptor does not use latex gloves... :lol:

[IMG]

Anyway, aside such foolishness, the overall casting is very good, only few and very tiny mould lines, with all pieces fitting well.

Note also the three little metal tips attached to the ref sheet, to build the "corsesca palmata" lance, a tipical italian arm, I think one of the most painful of that age.

[IMG]

The main reason for which I like this kit is the amusing goat which comes with the mercenary. I don't like to build the figure as it comes from the box, so taking advantage of a such beautiful beast, I've planned a more appropiate pose, rather than the disconsolate default.

The only (visual) reference I have about this kind of soldiers, aside some Osprey book, is the italian version of one book from Crowood Press, "Medieval Military Costume", by Gerry Embleton, with a lot of full colour pictures.

[IMG]

For the goat, the web is a good source, as you can see from the grabbed picures.

[IMG]
  2. Calvin Member

I do not have a large set of tools (minimalist technique...), just the essentials.

Cutting
    The smallest is for the mould lines, the medium is used for carving, while the biggest is used to cut pieces like arms or legs.
    [IMG]

Drilling
    The smallest is the one I use to insert the supports, obtained from a cutted clip.
    [IMG]

Sculpting
    Just some chisel and brushes (#0, 2 and 4 for the flat). The A+B is used to fill the joints (is the strongest putty I know), while the Magic Sculp is used to rebuild clothing, details, etc.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Transforming an existing figure is really easy. After "seeing" it in the new pose, you only need to cut the pieces you want to reposition, drilling and refixing them using the clip wire and some putty (A+B) to fill the join.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luca,

Keep going. From a SBS you can learn alot, even the members.
    If you get the critics use them and you are going giant leaps forward in your skill.s

Marc
  4. Calvin Member

When done, you can start rebuilding the missing parts (Magic Sculpt). From the reference I have, I think the mercenary will look better with just the frontal part of the armour (see the attached sketch I made), without the leater waistcoat, so after wiping out the surplus, I've started rebuilding the armour.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The original sword (too small) has been replaced with another one, from the scrap box.

Last but not least, this is the more cheap solution I found to speed up the curing process. A simple box covered with foil where I place the piece under a 50W bulb lamp.

[IMG]

And this is how will look the final vignette, an irritated mercenary dragging a very stubborn goat...

[IMG]
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent sbs Luca on one of my favorite figures. Please keep us posted as you go. (y)
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Love what you did with the goat! It gives so much more meaning and attittude to the piece to see the goat working against the poor mercinary. Keep us posted, and nice work!

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. nagashino New Member

Hi Luca

Excellent conversion work here. I liked this piece as soon as I saw it in Soldatini, and your modifications have certainly improved it's overall look.

I guess that goat is stubborn because he knows what's going to happen to him:)

I look forward to the paint job

Best regards

Phil
  8. Guayo New Member

LUCA, LUCA, as always Impresionante conversion, I like your work because it gave the figure alot of movement and action,

If you enjoy the work of Mr Embleton, you can find more on The COMPANIE OF SAYNTE GEORGE , check the online editions of The Dragon , on this magazine there are many aspects of historical clothing and armour, if you enjoy Medieval Military Costume, you would find more information of the era on the Dragon.

Looking forward to the next step Luca, you really teach us alot¡¡¡¡¡¡

Felicidades,

Eduardo.
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    VERY NICE,Luca (y) (y) (y) !!!! Looking forward to the next step in the SBS. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    An excellent conversion and I think a better rendering of the two figures! Good storytelling!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Very, very nice conversion, Luca!
    Lovely idea! I like to see it painted, so let them coming!
    Congratulations, great work,

Eddy.
  12. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Bravo Luca. An excellent sbs. I'll be following it keenly.

John
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ciao Luca, I'm enjoying your step by step,very nice.

Keep up the good work.

Ciao
    Roc :)
  14. Calvin Member

Marc, Guy, Jay, Kenneth, Dan, John, Roc, thanks for looking, I'm glad you like it.

Eduardo, many thanks for the link, yes I love stuff like that, great link you have pointed out.

Phil and Eddy, okay, it seems to me you have noticed I do not like painting almost as transforming or sculpting..., but you have persuaded me...

[IMG]

:lol:
  15. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hello Luca,

very good convertion. Easy and simple, but gives a "big" dynamisme to the caracters (man and his animal).
    You show us how to personalize commercial minis to a more personnal feel.

Can't wait to see it finished.

JP
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, Great job on the vignette thus far. I like your composition batter than the stock kit. I'm looking forward to seeing the next step.~Gary