1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A serious case of lost mojo!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by chailey, Mar 4, 2019.

1. chailey Active Member

England
    Hi all,
    In spite of having several projects on the go at the moment, I have realised that I haven't actually finished anything for nigh on two years!
    I seem to be suffering from a complete mental block and despite having everything I need to hand I just can't seem to find any impetus to get things finished, out come the paints...an hour or so looking at them...then away go the paints! Does anybody else have these periods of lethargy or is it time for me to hang up the brushes and take up bird watching/fishing/knitting?

I'm off now for a lie down,

Steve
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I believe all of us have this experience. Now and then I find myself in such a thing. After a few days it's coming back. Starting a new figure will solve the problem for me.

Marc
    chailey likes this.
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve

Absolutely mate :)

I was thinking the other day about the same. Not sure how it is for others, but I find that occasionally I finish a figure and just feel completely drained by the effort. I'm not sure what this says about my emotional involvement with projects, but it's the same when painting (I spent a number of years earning a crust as an artist) Some projects seem to demand more than just a routine start to finish paint job. Once the basics of applying paint are under control you can start to develop ideas and techniques and I think this is where the effort lies. Some figures and projects seem to fight every step of the way and refuse to co-operate with the vision that prompted us to start in the first place.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who pictures the completed piece and struggles to bring to existence the finished idea either because of lack of experience or flaws which grate too much. :(

For what it's worth I usually have half a dozen or so things on the go at once. Sometimes a 'new' project jumps the queue and drifts happily along till it's finished - easy. Otherwise I just try to find a foothold in one of the others till I can get motivated again. (Either that or remove them from my sight and try something different)

Toodlepip
    Paul
    Nap, chailey and OldTaff like this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I haven't picked up a paint brush in anger in over a year now (I've managed a bit of clean-up & gluing, but that's about it).

Much of that has been down to other stuff going on in my life (two house moves, a bereavement, a new relationship, sorting out the new home), but I know what you mean: Many has been the occasion when I've had time for painting but just couldn't be bothered, or I've not had time but have been itching to get some decent bench time in.

Another factor that sometimes plays its part is good old "paralysis by analysis", which happens when you've got so many projects on the go that you just can't decide which one you want to work on - so you end up not working on any of them! :LOL:

- Steve
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Like many of us I found myself in the painting doldrums.
    What I did was to put aside my stalled projects and dug through my GA.
    Came up with Pegaso's 90mm Arminius the Cherusci which is a challenge from start to finish. It's the only thing I'm concentrating on and am thoroughly enjoying myself now.
    chailey and Nap like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    "Mojo -Oh Mojo ..wherefore art thou"

A phrase heard many times by most in the hobby no matter what they model ...including me !!

Like Daddy0 I too sometimes feel drained and some fight all the way ...I have several half and more worked on in the cupboard !!

Del has a good idea ..you can't beat a good rummage in the GA !

Fear not it will return Steve

Nap
    chailey and DaddyO like this.
  7. chailey Active Member

England
    Okay Dokey,
    Since posting this I have spent several days in Brighton Hospital recovering from a major heart attack, now home I have a few months to search for my mojo and will probably be tearing my hair out looking for things to do...should the afore-mentioned mojo still be missing I will consider dumping the whole lot in the bin!

Many thanks to all for the replies.
  8. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Me too A combination of a few things. I got begged to take a commission on and it finished me off I have no passion for things I don't do for myself which is why I swore years ago I would never do work for others.

Hopefully the next Dante Kickstarter by Aradia should inspire me..
    chailey and Nap like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Hi there

Sorry to hear you've been in hospital but glad your out and back home ......keep looking for the mojo it will be there......read a book on something your interested in ..I find that helps

Take it easy

Nap
    chailey likes this.
  10. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's why I have "summer" and "winter"hobbies.
    By the end of summer I'm done with camping, guided-walks, e-bikes etc.etc. and by the end of winter I'm done with scale-models.
    It works. All I need now is a season the give my beer-hobby a break.......
  11. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have not painted for nearly 2 years now but still enjoy the hobby. I turned my attention to doing some sculpting instead both with putty and 3D which gives my mind a bit more creative stimulation. I am sure the painting will come back one day but just try to enjoy a different approach if you can.

Tommi
    chailey, OldTaff and Nap like this.
  12. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    First off, sorry to hear about your health situation but now you're going to need something less stressful than miniature figure painting. A while back when I was in one of my voids I was watching my wife coloring designs in a coloring book with colored pencils and I said nope, not for me. Well lo and behold, while we were out shopping she was looking through coloring books and I saw one that said "Blackbeard and other notorious pirates" and bought it. Went home that night and started coloring and was surprised what you can do with colored pencils. You can experiment with shading and overlays just like paints and you don't give a shit if you screw up. Anyway, long story short, after a couple of weeks of getting creative with pirates and colored pencils I was able to jump back into painting again. So basically like Tommi said...Just try to fill a void with something(creative) until your drive comes back if you can. If I see your stuff for sale here I'll know you didn't do that.:)....Hang in there....

Wayne
    chailey, Blind Pew and Nap like this.
  13. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    The "loss of Mojo" can creep up on you or jump out full blown, in my experience.

Similar to HansDig, above, when the weather here in Chicago becomes fine, it is hard for me to sit indoors at the modeling table. Later in the summer, when the heat and humidity chase me off the golf course, I will resume. In the years since I stopped painting to please judges at competitions, but just to please myself, the hobby has become more fun.

A good recorded book may enable me to spend quiet time with paints and such. Our local library has a selection as well as a few free services via the cell phone. I cue up a history or a mystery and do what is fun.

Enjoy!
    Ned
    chailey likes this.
  14. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mojo is such an elusive concept. We know when we’ve lost it, but it’s not always clear when, or if, it will return.

I experience mojo loss every year, for several months. I start new projects and then abandon them and start another one. Consequently I have lots of figures and Busts at various stages of completion.

The key for me is to have fun. It is a hobby after all.
    chailey likes this.
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Try this.
    Sort out and sift through all your bits and bobs to reorganise them, with a view to discarding what you accept you won't get to use.
    You will find something/s you have forgotten you have, and will also be able to sort some projects out that can be finished quickly.
    I have found this helps, and older projects come to the front of the queue and get completed.
    Voila the mojo returns without you knowing.

Best of luck.
    chailey and Blind Pew like this.
  16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry to hear of your health concerns, please get back to full strength for us.

We do all get this, I think it's the curse of the creative mind. What I've had is where I've started a project off - all fine & dandy; and then part way through suffered a catastrophic drop in enthusiasm for it. I went about three years with this, it wasn't every figure, but half. I reckon it might have stemmed from having a vision of how great it was going to be and then realising part way through it wasn't going to hit those heights.

So, what to do? Like others have suggested, try a different avenue. Sculpt something or try painting a flat. I also have done a sci-fi kit. Still modelling, but different enough. Probably the only Star Wars kit done in artists' oils! I think Wayne had it right, in that there was no pressure and it was really relaxing to do. I also use these periods to have a good tidy up and a clear out, that's good for clearing the mind, too.

Please do let us know how you get on. You have our best wishes mate.
    chailey likes this.
  17. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    How about this for a change
  18. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    Got to admire Bob Ross
    I painted a figure the Bob Ross way ………….ended up with a landscape …..;)

Frank
    Blind Pew likes this.
  19. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    By nature, I'm just easily distractedo_O!

Joe
  20. chailey Active Member

England
    He seems to replicate the way I paint my figures...big brush and lots of paint!
    Blind Pew likes this.