1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book A Rumble with a Reiver

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by stormtrooper miniatures, Jul 15, 2015.

1. stormtrooper miniatures Well-Known Member

Hi Guys ,

Those that might want to own up knowing me will realise that there is nothing I like better than a "Rumble through the Resin" at shows and that I like music when at the bench recently I have been listening to a track from Mark Knopfler off his 2009 album Get Lucky called Border Reiver ..this prompted me to grab this release from Stormtroopers and have a look.

REIVER 001.jpg

As with all models that traders offer probably the first thing that attracts me is the box picture itself ...sometimes painted sometimes just a picture , no matter to me , but I have to say that the painting by Ernesto Reyes is eye candy to say the least!!!.

Sculpted by Carl Reid and in the true sense of the bust which I like .

The box has a "made in the UK" logo on it ...nice one Stormtroopers

So I asked permission to attack the box .....and opening it I found a very pretty pink package ...was I in the right shop or have I been caught in Ann Summers!!!!

Being macho I opened up the pink packing which is a bubblewrap material protecting the contents inside which is held in a clear self lock bag .....

Now we all know that this hobby is all about quality and thats what I wanted to see

My delicate fingers wrestled the resin out ready to rumble , finding 2 pieces and a painting suggestion also inside. REIVER 002.jpg

2 pieces as I said the bust and a base , REIVER 003.jpg
    A quick look at the base in the standard style from Mr Reid , probably put this to my spares box

...the man himself was now in hand , would I need to do much before getting my brushes out ...nope !!! 3 small casting plugs to get rid of and thats it .
    REIVER 005.jpg
    Carl has done a nice job and I was happy with the product .

The resin is smooth ( bit like me !!) and the guy is full of character all the way , I can well imaginn him huddled round a fire on the border, I like what I see , good stuff on the "jack" he wears , tears included , with a bonnet and a metal helmet peeking out underneath , hanging around his chin he has chainmail ...nicely done .
    REIVER 006.jpg REIVER 007.jpg REIVER 009.jpg REIVER 014.jpg
    Over his shoulder I see a cloak , good folds ..no tartan for me on this one!!!
    REIVER 013.jpg REIVER 008.jpg REIVER 012.jpg
    What makes or breaks a model particularly a bust IMO is the face...... its a hardened and proud fighter , slight hairy growth on his chin , hair straggly from under his helmet ..rugged is I think the word .
    REIVER 011.jpg
    Its good to be able to have the resin in my hands before a purchase just to see what I am getting .

This is a classy piece of work and I can assure you I will be with the resin again here very soon

I appreciate skill at painting so I reckon some bloke on PF called Brian has done great job as well
    000000.JPG

Off to have a look at a few books and ref pictures on these fellows ....like these

00000.jpg 0.jpg 00.jpg 000.jpg 0000.jpg 1.jpg
    Thanks for coming on my rumble ..

enjoy the modelling ...even if you have legs on yours!!!

Nap ( normal name ..Kev!!)
  2. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    A very good review of a cracking little bust.It's actually one of my favourites.Highly recommended.
    That's my version in the second picture.
    Brian
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Martin Philpott Active Member

England
    Ooooooo, like it, like it a lot :)
    Martin.
  4. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the review, Nap. I read it with a grin(y) He does look like one bad bugger, doesn't he. Outstanding casting, which is refreshing to see after the last couple of pieces I've worked on.