1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

a question :)

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by franck edet, Jan 11, 2020.

1. franck edet Well-Known Member

Canada
    Hi there. for my actual project, i need to sculpt a gold coins treasure, and i wonder how to sculpt each little coin ?
    I was thinking of using some kind of "half circle" to emboss the fimo ?

would it work ?
  2. Chris Oldfield Well-Known Member

England
    You could try punching out small styrene discs with a punch & die set, if you've got one. When piled up, the discs would give a three-dimensional look & a wash of liquid cement or thin cyanoacrylate would secure them all together.
    franck edet likes this.
  3. franck edet Well-Known Member

Canada
    yes, i thought of that, but with the global size i need it would be a year of punching LOL ...
  4. Chris Oldfield Well-Known Member

England
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You could build the pile in whatever cheap material you have to hand to create the general effect.
    Then simply add the detailed items on top to finish it off.
    My preference would be a revolving leather punch, which generally gives you a choice of sizes.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    franck edet likes this.
  6. franck edet Well-Known Member

Canada
    thanks Chris and Andrew
  7. svt Active Member

Russian-Federation
    To get started, simply create a shape that should have a shape and cover it with small circles on top of the glue. How to make circles? There are two quick options that differ technologically:
    1. punch circles using a tube of the desired diameter with a pointed end (thin plastic, paper, metal foil) or;
    2. Take a piece of soft plastic or thin sausage made of fired polymer clay and cut out thin washers that will be coins.

монетки или диски.jpg
    franck edet likes this.
  8. franck edet Well-Known Member

Canada
    thanks a lot SVT :)
  9. Kimmo Active Member

Unless you are planning on stacks, any old lump of material to build up the shape of the coin hill and then cover the shape with coins with whatever method you go with. That way you at least save on having to do the hidden part. If you need coins with an image, make a master, then emboss Plasticine with as many that will fit and make plaster or resin copies. How big are the coins btw? You can make a heat and squash mold with epoxy putty and sprue from a plastic kit and do up a dozen or so then glue those to a sheet of plastic and make a good reusable mold. You heat up the sprue end over a candle, then press it into the epoxy mold, shave off the coin and repeat. Tedious but reasonably effective for shallow designs.

Kimmo
    franck edet likes this.