1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A Question of Balance

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Jan 16, 2004.

1. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Balance is an important factor in posing and composing your creatures. Lack of balance is often revealing of anatomical errors.

Here's an example applied to Anders' current project and rightfully pointed out by Pete and Rob.

1- Draw a vertical line starting from the 'weighted' foot (the foot on which the weight of the body lies).

2- In the left picture, note how nearly all the masses are located on one side (the left) of the line : the figures will fall backwards.

3- In the right pict, the carrying character bends forward so that the two heads are roughly aligned with the standing foot. Also note that by doing so, the masses are equally divided on either side of the line. Magic? No, physics! :lol:

Quang
  2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Balance is an important factor in posing and composing your creatures. Lack of balance is often revealing of anatomical errors.

Here's an example applied to Anders' current project and rightfully pointed out by Pete and Rob.

1- Draw a vertical line starting from the 'weighted' foot (the foot on which the weight of the body lies).

2- In the left picture, note how nearly all the masses are located on one side (the left) of the line : the figures will fall backwards.

3- In the right pict, the carrying character bends forward so that the two heads are roughly aligned with the standing foot. Also note that by doing so, the masses are equally divided on either side of the line. Magic? No, physics! :lol:

Quang
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Quang!!

Thanks!! Very helpful! I love the excellent diagrams you took the trouble to make. Let me ask you this, what did you do to the second figure? Is there anyway that I can fix it now without having to redo the whole thing?

Thanks again, very much!!
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Quang!!

Thanks!! Very helpful! I love the excellent diagrams you took the trouble to make. Let me ask you this, what did you do to the second figure? Is there anyway that I can fix it now without having to redo the whole thing?

Thanks again, very much!!
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Anders is coming along nicely on this one, but the issue of balance occured to me at work today. I'm not surprised that your sage advice and observations have appeared regarding this very subject. Again, it's refreshing to see an honest and fair example of constructive criticism. No matter how long you do this the learning process continues. Input like this not only will help Anders now and in the future, but us as well. Thanks.~Gary
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Anders is coming along nicely on this one, but the issue of balance occured to me at work today. I'm not surprised that your sage advice and observations have appeared regarding this very subject. Again, it's refreshing to see an honest and fair example of constructive criticism. No matter how long you do this the learning process continues. Input like this not only will help Anders now and in the future, but us as well. Thanks.~Gary
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    I second Gary's comments;thanks,Quang Kenneth
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    I second Gary's comments;thanks,Quang Kenneth
  9. bobparker Member

England
    Quang, I am glad that on the learning curve you are further round, and that you are happy to pass on such sound advice,many thanks,
    Bob. (y)
  10. bobparker Member

England
    Quang, I am glad that on the learning curve you are further round, and that you are happy to pass on such sound advice,many thanks,
    Bob. (y)
  11. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    excellent notes, Quang

just a quick question.........what software are u using to manipulate these images; Photoshop? I assume you're just cutting and rotating portions of the image?

This is a very useful and helpful technique in this digital age

Rob
  12. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    excellent notes, Quang

just a quick question.........what software are u using to manipulate these images; Photoshop? I assume you're just cutting and rotating portions of the image?

This is a very useful and helpful technique in this digital age

Rob
  13. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Exactly, Rob!

I've found out that Photoshop makes up perfectly for my poor drawing abilities

Q.
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Exactly, Rob!

I've found out that Photoshop makes up perfectly for my poor drawing abilities

Q.
  15. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    In addition. Wouldnt this pair be better balanced if the backrider had his head in the same position(to the left or to the right) of the carrying person?
  16. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    In addition. Wouldnt this pair be better balanced if the backrider had his head in the same position(to the left or to the right) of the carrying person?
  17. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Uruk,

I agree with you!

Every medic will tell you that it would be a lot easier should the wounded man relax, 'let it go' and rest his head beside his rescuer's. As you rightfully pointed out, the reason is better balance.

Anders,

The easiest way to correct the pose, is to cut the carrier's and the wounded man's bodies at the waist and reposition.

But if you want to go all the way, you'd have to separate the legs and reposition the pelvis too. In doing so, you'll find out you'll have to move the arms backwards, the wounded man's legs would be more vertical, ....

The beauty of the human machine is that when you move one muscle, EVERYTHING else moves! :lol:

Good luck!
    Quang
  18. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Uruk,

I agree with you!

Every medic will tell you that it would be a lot easier should the wounded man relax, 'let it go' and rest his head beside his rescuer's. As you rightfully pointed out, the reason is better balance.

Anders,

The easiest way to correct the pose, is to cut the carrier's and the wounded man's bodies at the waist and reposition.

But if you want to go all the way, you'd have to separate the legs and reposition the pelvis too. In doing so, you'll find out you'll have to move the arms backwards, the wounded man's legs would be more vertical, ....

The beauty of the human machine is that when you move one muscle, EVERYTHING else moves! :lol:

Good luck!
    Quang
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Quang!

Thanks for all the useful information, but Im not going to redo the whole figure now :) I'll keep all of this in mind for my next project. I hope you dont take this like Im just blowing off your excellent advice as Im not, as I really appreciate your help.
  20. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Quang!

Thanks for all the useful information, but Im not going to redo the whole figure now :) I'll keep all of this in mind for my next project. I hope you dont take this like Im just blowing off your excellent advice as Im not, as I really appreciate your help.