1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A question about Culluclay...

Discussion in 'Groundwork' started by chailey, Feb 15, 2018.

1. chailey Active Member

England
    Can anyone tell me if celluclay has a shelf life, I have had an unopened pack stored in my dry but unheated shed for about a year and have finally found a use for it...but it refuses to set!
    I have used it to produce a little landscaping to a depth of approx. 10-12mm and have tried drying it over a couple of nights in the airing cupboard (much to the annoyance of her-in-doors) and direct heat from her hair dryer (she wasn't best pleased about that either), but it still won't harden!

Should I oven dry it or give it up as a bad job and start again?

Steve
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I have never heard that it goes bad. But if you have made a layer a centimeter in thickness, it could take a relatively long time for that to dry out.

You could try forcing it by heating in an oven, but that could cause it to crack as it dries and contracts, just like mud does outside. I mix a little white glue in with mine, to help protect against that contracting and cracking.

I'd chuck it and start over with a fresh batch, myself.

Prost!
    Brad
    chailey likes this.
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I think Brad has the right idea. Mine has been open in the plastic bag for at least 15 years and as long as I add white glue and brown paint to the mix it still works well for me. Mix the paint and water and glue together first and then add to the mix.
    Cheers
    John
    chailey likes this.
  4. chailey Active Member

England
    Could be that the white glue is the missing ingredient, it's now been six days and still no sign of it curing, time to abort and start from scratch me-thinks!
  5. Jim Active Member

I'd go with the white glue, a little dark brown acrylic paint and not a lot of water; you want a thickened oatmeal consistency - that always worked for me. I don't apply it very thick, either. I've had some 20+ years and it still works.
    theBaron likes this.