1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed A Pirate's Disaster

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sven, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Sven A Fixture

Dear Planeteers,
    every figure or bust is a painting experience on its own. No figure is the same and no painting job is just an easy walk in the park. I knew that and I was prepared to execute some gentle persuasion. This time, however, I met fierce resistance. In the end, this project turned in a true painting disaster. Despite my best efforts, almost every part of this bust was a struggle and NO pleasure at all.

I bought this bust from Warriors a few weeks ago on ebay. I think it is OOP.
    IMG_E2042.JPG
    The look of the face was great and the quality of the cast was surprisingly good. I decided to leave the hat away and thus had to sculpt the back of the head with green stuff. I also added some ear rings and a necklace. After this promising start my initial paint scheme did not work and I eventually ended up with what you see here. I am not proud of it.
    Pirate_3.JPG Pirate_2.JPG Pirate_4.JPG Pirate_5.JPG

Keep on painting

Sven
    oldtrousers, arj, Nap and 12 others like this.
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    What is it that you are not happy with; I think it looks fantastic
    Oda and Sven like this.
  3. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I like it! (y) A big improvement over the box art. Love the pattern on the vest.

Cheers,
    Ken
    Sven likes this.
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Sven
    Firstly well done with seeing it through to the end (I've had a few of these sorts of figures in recent months and understand exactly what you are saying):)

On the plus side though although you may not be happy with the finished figure I really like it. (y)
    (Just love the face and the bandanna is bang on trend with all the long hair after lock down):ROFLMAO:

Now get back to the brushes and hopefully the next one will be one of those figures which flows from the brush
    Cheeripip
    Paul
    Sven likes this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nothing wrong with that at all. It's a great job.

You are either being too harsh on yourself, or fishing for "don't-be-daft-mate-it's-marvellous" compliments. I can't work out which.

- Steve
    Redcap, Sven, DaddyO and 1 other person like this.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nothing wrong with the painting. As DaddyO says we have all been there.
    Keep painting though.
    Sven likes this.
  7. Henkm Well-Known Member

Love the face. Wouldn't want to meet this pirate in a dark alley for sure!
    Sven likes this.
  8. Sven A Fixture

Thank you all for your kind feedback. That's very encouraging and sweetens my disappointment a lot.
    Steve, I was not fishing for any sort of compliments. I am simply not happy how this bust turned out. I think he is rough around the edges and totally lacks real visual interest. The face is cool but I wanted a sun kissed appearance and now it's just looking a little dirty. The vest is decent at least in my eyes.
    I think Paul is right, let's hope the next one will flow from the bruhes. Well, at least the priming went well.
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fair comment Sven, perhaps I was being a little harsh because overall I think that a lot of guys would be pretty happy with that end result. I also like the modifications you've made in order to individualise it. In the end we are all our own biggest critics! That can be a bad thing in the sense that maybe sometimes we don't always give ourselves enough credit, but a good thing in the sense that it motivates us to do better next time.

- Steve
    Nap, Oda and Sven like this.
  10. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great job. I like what you did to re-sculpt the head without the hat.
    Sven likes this.
  11. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    That is a John Rosengrant sculpt. It's a masterpiece, and mine has almost a decade now. I like the results to this day, since the sculpture makes the hard work ! Good work so far...
    Babelfish, Sven and grasshopper like this.
  12. Oda A Fixture

I like it.I think you are indeed a bit harsh on yourself but I also understand your frustration on not being able to match the end result to the picture you had in your head.That apart it is a great bust,painted to a very high standard indeed.

Oda.
    Sven likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there Sven

I think that looks good like the flesh work on it looks weather hardened ...a nice facial sculpt from Mr R

I actually prefer it with out the hat so good on you for the rework

Nice painting on the vest and the headscarf

I would have that in my cabinet

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Look forward to your next

Nap
    Sven likes this.
  14. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely painted.
    If I could paint even half as well as your rendition, I'd be well pleased.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Sven likes this.
  15. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Wonderful work and painting

Mobo
    Sven likes this.