WIP A Little Progress On This Guy

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ron Tamburrini, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chaps and Gals

Done al
    little more work on this one but still a fair bit to do

IMG_6727.JPG IMG_6722.JPG IMG_6730.JPG

All critique welcome as usual
    Ron
    NickM, Tarracus, Aveleira and 10 others like this.
  2. Don Well-Known Member

Looks great Ron, love your work on his armour and clothing and the flesh is looking pretty good.
    Look forward to seing it in the flesh.
    Will we be able to see it next weekend.

Don
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It is far from finished but I will bring it anyway

Ron
  4. Mariobusta Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Looks good Ron ,I like the way you have painted him in different colors than the box-art.I am 90% done on this guy also,he`s one of the best sculpts I have seen,amazing face .Look forward to seeing him finished.

Neil
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I like what you've done with him so far (y)! Can't wait to see the final product.

Joe
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Looking really good Ron - nice balance of light and shade on the clothing

Keith
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work on this bust.
    Like what you have done.

marc
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Like this one Ron,great work on the armour and flesh,look forward to following this mate :)

Brian
  9. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Looks very, very fine! Good decision to leave the dagger away!

Cheers
  10. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Looks very good
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's a stunner, Ron. One of the nicest Roman busts I've seen in a long time. Applause!!

- Steve
  12. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Great Ron, helmet is perfect...great job
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers guys
    Lots of decisions on this one , IE metal armour,leather armour,do I do the embossed parts in metal ,colour for the cloakred or something different
    I know this bust came in for a bit of stick regards accuracy so I am doing him Either as a Praetorian commander or as a pro consul dressed for a truimph
    thru Rome in his Sunday best.

Thanks for looking and the comments.
    Neil. yes it is a fantastic sculpt well worth the dosh.
    Joe.
    Keith.
    Marc van.
    Brian of busterama fame :D
    Martin. Re the dagger that is a point in question ,I haven't left it off just not got round to it yet. But you obviously have a reason against including it so I would like your opinion for the exclusion . IE is it wrong ,just doesn't look right, or just in a silly place .
    My thoughts were if he has been awarded a triumph then it could be purely ceremonial , options are still open .

Ken
    Rodrigo

Cheeers
    Ron
  14. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Ron!.. Right call on the leather armor and helmet!.. lovely tones, and blending!.. I love the subtle transitions... How the hell you have achieved that, is beyond me.... Grrrr!,.. it is very impressive! Very seldom do you see, this option! as it is usually the metal option! Well done you!

Mark
  15. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tell you what Ron, that is stunning! I couldn't really give a toss about the accuracy if it looks this good and you paint it the way you want and it turns out like this....good on ya!
    Babelfish likes this.
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mark
    If you are talking about the leather on the armour you have just had a crash course from Kagamusha (Ron C)

It is his technique , the only difference is the undercoat,I spayed on from a humbrol can of acrylic buff which also doubles for the base flesh too.
    Then I applied what Ron C calls a scrub coat of oils in this case Sepia and a little brown Madder to give a slight reddish tinge to the leather with a decent broad brush not to worn , then it is just a case of lift off ,lift off ,again and again till the base shines through on the high spots.
    this coat is so thin that it dries in a couple of days but best to give it a week then just repeat the paint will stay in the crevices and there you have it.
    I use the cheap pro art brushes for this, the ones with the pearl handles flats,filbert and wedges Nr four and fives series 33
    But you could just as easy get out you compact and use the makeup set :D

Hope this helps Mark

PS you could use Raw umber , Burnt Sienna ,Vandyke brown etc , these will give you subtle shade differences

Ron T
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Gells
    How are you .

Ron
  18. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Ah-Ha!... Got it!.. the methods, I understand!. and have used..... On and brush off!. Soft brush, clean, repeat etc. Its the colour range! of the oils that I am picking up on!.. My existing range is limited,. Doh!. More expenditure. However they will last for a very long time!.... I hope!(y)

Mark
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't go Nuts :D on the oils if you have a basic earth brown and some other oils you can always mix a shade till you
    decide if you like this method.
    Here is a pic of a Blue Peter "one I made earlier ":whistle:
    Just raw umber over Humbrol Buff sprayed with an air brush .
    On the edges of the belt I lifted the paint off with a cotton bud ,gets more of that way (just a light touch" then back over with a clean brush to marry in.

img_4461_6842.jpg
  20. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Cant bloody well afford it!... reliant upon the 'Colour-Wheel',...:LOL:

Mark