WIP Critique A good day at the range

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    When Steve [Reedees Miniatures] made the Hotchkiss light machine gun in 1/16th scale I immediately had a number of projects in mind - most in some way based on the US Army use of it ca. 1916. The one I decided would be fun to do is simple - it's a soldier walking home from a summer day at the firing range training on his weapon. I gave him a summer uniform - what will be a white tee shirt with sweat stains, khaki trousers, boots and leggings, topped off with a Montana hat. Montana hats are usually portrayed as pristine, but his hat is going to look dirty and sweaty and battered. I may add a service coat hanging from the Hotchkiss barrel by two sleeves buttoned together at the cuffs. That may be a bit over the top - what do you think? He's going to look sweaty and tired but pleased with himself - and he's got the targets as bragging rights for when he gets back to barracks. The targets are examples of rifle targets used ca. 1900 that I found on the web. I photoshopped them to scale. His waist looks very slender in the photos, but I haven't added the belt or belt loops, which should work out right. The Montana hat doesn't have cords on it. I intend to give him a canteen from the parts box and the Hotchkiss still needs the tripod fitted. Several other bits here and there to finish.

This is very much a WIP. I look forward to your comments.

Attached Files:

2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Great idea, I like it very much. Give him an 03 Springfield and he would look like he is at Camp Perry for the National Matches. Nice work.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great subject and great start Dan.
    I quite like the idea of the greatcoat over the Hotchkiss' barrel.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  4. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Hello Dan,

A delightful piece and definitely on target. How about getting him to chew on a straw?

Rgds Vic
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks sd0324, Keith and Victor! Glad you liked it! For me it's a fun piece. Trying to put myself in the shoes of a professional US Army soldier of the pre-WWI period - I imagine going to the range must have been an 'event'. And qualifying well, especially on a new weapon that few of your peers could operate much less shoot competently - that must have been a source of bragging rights.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Great start Dan, I follow!
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks MarquisMini! Much appreciated!

All the best,
    Dan