1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique A good day at the range

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    When Steve [Reedees Miniatures] made the Hotchkiss light machine gun in 1/16th scale I immediately had a number of projects in mind - most in some way based on the US Army use of it ca. 1916. The one I decided would be fun to do is simple - it's a soldier walking home from a summer day at the firing range training on his weapon. I gave him a summer uniform - what will be a white tee shirt with sweat stains, khaki trousers, boots and leggings, topped off with a Montana hat. Montana hats are usually portrayed as pristine, but his hat is going to look dirty and sweaty and battered. I may add a service coat hanging from the Hotchkiss barrel by two sleeves buttoned together at the cuffs. That may be a bit over the top - what do you think? He's going to look sweaty and tired but pleased with himself - and he's got the targets as bragging rights for when he gets back to barracks. The targets are examples of rifle targets used ca. 1900 that I found on the web. I photoshopped them to scale. His waist looks very slender in the photos, but I haven't added the belt or belt loops, which should work out right. The Montana hat doesn't have cords on it. I intend to give him a canteen from the parts box and the Hotchkiss still needs the tripod fitted. Several other bits here and there to finish.

This is very much a WIP. I look forward to your comments.

Attached Files:

2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Great idea, I like it very much. Give him an 03 Springfield and he would look like he is at Camp Perry for the National Matches. Nice work.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great subject and great start Dan.
    I quite like the idea of the greatcoat over the Hotchkiss' barrel.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  4. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Dan,

A delightful piece and definitely on target. How about getting him to chew on a straw?

Rgds Vic
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks sd0324, Keith and Victor! Glad you liked it! For me it's a fun piece. Trying to put myself in the shoes of a professional US Army soldier of the pre-WWI period - I imagine going to the range must have been an 'event'. And qualifying well, especially on a new weapon that few of your peers could operate much less shoot competently - that must have been a source of bragging rights.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Great start Dan, I follow!
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks MarquisMini! Much appreciated!

All the best,
    Dan