1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A Golden Oldie by Model Cellar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Larsen E. Whipsnade, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    1:9 Scale Bust, 'Winter in the Trenches 1916'
    A Tommy of the Royal Fusiliers struggles to keep warm
    Wonderfully sculpted and beautifully cast

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 11.04.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 11.05.37 AM.png

For it's Tommy this 'an Tommy that 'an chuck 'im out, the brute!
    But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.
    Osebor, NeilW, Jed and 7 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Following this closely....a lovely release from MC and a credit to the sculptor

Happy benchtime

Nap
    housecarl likes this.
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Golden Oldie??? Man, I've got some figures in the stash that make this one look like a new release. At least I think they are still in the stash, they may be nothing but resin dust at this point. I really should go though the boxes...
    Ventress, Nap and housecarl like this.
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely characterful bust which cries out to be painted. (y)

I think Steve at SK Miniatures sells these and I'm pretty sure it's sculpted by Carl Reid :unsure:

Look froward to seeing this one painted up
    Paul
    Nap likes this.
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Hi Paul,
    You're right, it is a Carl Reid sculpt.
    Rick
    DaddyO likes this.
  6. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Thanks to all.
    Rick
  7. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Basic flesh tones applied. Looks a little "Neanderthal-ish* to me. Not sure if it's the sculpt, my painting or the camera angle. Eyes and eyebrows should help (it says here). More to come.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 2.05.30 PM.png
    Jed and Nap like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rick

Good start on the flesh , I presume you will take back the highs above eyes a bit

wish Carl would do more WW1 bust sculpts

Look forward to more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  9. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Yeah, kinda looks like our boy has 2 sets of eyes right now doesn't it? Thanks, Nap.
    Rick
  10. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Our boy has eyes and eyebrows, has been cleaned up some and looks a little less like Grokk the Caveman than in my previous post. Still some more fine tuning to do but I think we're beginning to get there.
    Rick
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 10.34.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 10.35.09 AM.png
    Jed, MCPWilk and ModelCellar like this.
  11. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Hey Paul... if among your dusty stash you should happen to run across a golden oldie 1:9 scale bust Rorkes Drift 1879 by Thunderbird Miniatures and want to get rid of it... please let me know.
    Rick
    Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 7.35.19 AM.png
    Jed likes this.
  12. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    chair pulled up to watch this one progress
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good.(y)
  14. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Blimey! He's got a gor blimey!
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 9.06.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 9.06.33 AM.png
    DaddyO, Jed and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Got Blimey ...'arf a mo"

IMG_0190.JPG

Nice headwear , I would be inclined to contrast the head over

Starting to look good Rick

Thanks for update

Happy benchtime

Nap
  16. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    A care package from home arrives with a much needed new, warmer balaclava. (Thanks for the suggestion, Nap)
    Rick
    Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 9.18.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 9.19.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 9.19.34 AM.png
    Jed and Nap like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rick

Liking the parcel that arrived ......perhaps knitted by a worried mother or sister but welcome and straight into use and looking warmer

Must check my GA if I have this otherwise ..might be a early Christmas pressie !

Good update

Happy benchtime

Nap
  18. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    M2 carry bag next. Many of the visual references of the painted bust show the carry bag to be a very light color which might be aesthetically pleasing against all that uniform brown but makes absolutely no sense to me. Why on god's green earth would you put a nice bright target on your troops' chests? A few color pic references to the bag show it to be a khaki color so I decided, aesthetics be damned, I'd go in that direction. I painted the bag a very light grey color, then added several coats of a light brown wash and topped it all off with some randomly dry brushed Vallejo filthy brown to give it that lived in the trenches look.
    Rick

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 11.20.59 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 11.19.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 11.20.07 AM.png
    Henk, Nap and Jed like this.
  19. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Since when did common sense come into play regarding uniform colours etc, when I joined in the 80’s gloss black and green was still being used, not to mention ankle boots and puttees.if troops on the ground had ever been listened to things would have been different a lot I’m sure!! This isn’t a dig, I’m really liking how this is looking, being an ex Fusilier I’m not biased
    Larsen E. Whipsnade and Nap like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rick

Good update on this fellow , like the effect you've achieved on the respirator bag

If I was painting it I would put a wash over the badge

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Jed like this.