1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A Brief Update…

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by RossM, Sep 10, 2019.

1. RossM Active Member

Australia
    I have not been completely idol recently, I promise. I have been moving along slowly with a few projects.

First up is the Bavarian Jager bust from H&V Miniatures. I am now in the final stages of this piece. It is intricate details that need working on, such as buttons and piping. This part helps bring the piece to life, but I also find it quite tedious, to be honest. Nonetheless, it is good to see it starting to come to fruition.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Next up is this German Infantry bust by Verlinden. I love this face! However, at the moment I am working on the uniform, but I am currently not happy with how the highlights are looking on the piece. They need to be heavily smoothed out. I do not think the situation is helped by the fact that the bust itself is quite plain when it comes to the sculpting. What I mean here is that unlike more recent busts where there is more movement and, therefore, more creases in the uniform, this piece is a fairly straight up and down piece. As such, there are few creases where you would apply highlights. It requires some more thinking about how to proceed.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Finally, I have got around to priming the Tamiya BA-64B. This is a lovely little kit. It is primed with Vallejo Surface Primer. I decided to try out priming in black as it seems to be the fad at the moment – to be honest, I think it has been a fad for about the past 10 years, but I have not been paying much attention. I have heard various views on Vallejo’s primers; however, I found that with a couple of drops of airbrush thinner, this has gone down nicely and should provide a good base for future layers. I am still thinking about how to approach the finishing, but I have a few ideas that I will discuss in a future post.

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Oh, and by the way, I am about to start building my first aircraft in about 10 years. At a recent show I picked up the Tamiya 1/48 A-1J Skyraider, and I have decided to start it soon. I just keep on looking at the parts, and the quality seems great for a kit nearly 20 years old!

[IMG]

Continue reading...