1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP A Bridge Too Far.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mike bush, Oct 13, 2022.

1. mike bush Active Member

I thought I would try and kick start the old enthusiasm by having a crack at these two.
    Pleased with todays work lets see what tomorrow brings. Dreading doing the arm patches on Horrocks.
    Mike.

thumbnail_20221013_155640.jpg thumbnail_20221013_155651.jpg thumbnail_20221013_155546.jpg thumbnail_20221013_155608.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mike

Nice start on these ...I've these in my sight ...in the bench draw atm

Look forward to seeing the badges and ribbons

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    mike bush likes this.
  3. mike bush Active Member

Thanks. Lets see what tomorrow brings.
    Mike
    Nap likes this.
  4. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Lovely start, great busts to..
    mike bush likes this.
  5. mike bush Active Member

Cheers Warren.
    Mike
  6. mike bush Active Member

Question for the Irish Guards shoulder patch. Can any one assist as to which of the two examples apply to this bust.
    with or without the fig 1.
    Thanks Mike.
    310700902_3297424230471838_5647321975244117872_n.jpg 1st-guards-armoured-division-trf_1.jpg
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mike

I think they are just variations of the Guards Armoured badge , the second with the "1" designating the first Div

Other versions i.e.: 4th

Personally I would stick with the other as per the film uniform

Nap

IMG_4651.JPG
    mike bush likes this.
  8. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Following on from Kevin's information, here's a couple of views from the film.

abtf-mc1.jpg abtf-mc2.jpg
    Cheers,
    Andrew
    mike bush and Nap like this.
  9. mike bush Active Member

Thanks chaps. A great help. Also answers the rank badge question I was going to do them in cloth, but they appear to be blacked brass or bronze.
    Thanks.
    Mike.
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Mike

Definitely not cloth in film !

IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4659.JPG

Nap
    mike bush likes this.
  11. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    The ones with numerals are Guards Armoured brigade insignia. Joe Vandeleur was in the 32nd Infantry brigade so insignia of a Guards Armoured brigade would be incorrect. The one without the numerals is the Guards Armoured division insignia. He wore that because 32nd Infantry Brigade was part of the infantry component of the Guards Armoured division.
    Nap and mike bush like this.
  12. mike bush Active Member

Thanks Bundook.
    I find the hardest thing with painting figures / busts from films and TV series is that they are not always wearing the correct uniform, insignia etc, which leaves the question do you paint as is depicted in the film or as it should be.
    Thanks again.
    Mike.
    Nap likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Agree there , for me I paint to the film depiction

Look forward to seeing more on these

Happy benchtime

Nap
    mike bush likes this.
  14. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    It all depends on your personal view, I suppose. Either you view it as a (not very true) likeness of Joe Vandeleur (in which case the insignia should be authentic) or it's a mini portrait of Michael Caine playing a part (in which case you paint whatever the costume designer gave him). Your choice. At least "A Bridge too far" was pretty accurate in those sorts of uniform technicalities.
    mike bush likes this.
  15. mike bush Active Member

Bit more done over the weekend.
    thumbnail_20221016_144458.jpg thumbnail_20221016_144241.jpg thumbnail_20221016_144326.jpg thumbnail_20221016_144343.jpg thumbnail_20221016_144403.jpg thumbnail_20221016_144353.jpg
  16. mike bush Active Member

Hi.
    Spent the afternoon painting the XXX Corps shoulder patches on. After several attempts ( Lost Count ) I decided to quit whilst I thought I was ahead.
    skm_c45817052313280.jpg 20221018_154643.jpg 20221018_154737.jpg

Mike