1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

9th Gate Miniatures - NEW Company

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Nap, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

Time to introduce a brand new company called 9th GATE MINIATURES

Details of the company and concept taken from website

The 9th Gate Miniatures Company has been established by a professional figures collector and hobbyist with more than 20 years of experience together with a professional miniatures painter, who is also a product designer and industrial modelist with not as many but very successful years of experience in the figure painting world.

In the opinion of many collectors, hobbyists and founders of this company, there is somewhat of a gap in the figures and bust market.

Very often we can see that the same sculptors are working for many different companies, and their personal style is recognisable, which is good, but at the same time their figures are not very unique in style and do not have an individual charm and spirit.

It is likely that over time, some standards for figures were defined - such as certain poses created as though for a personal photo shoot, or poses that are repeated from one miniature to another. It is a pity, but often, behind figures that relate to historical miniatures, there is no background, there is no artistic thought – for a collector or a hobbyist, it is very difficult to answer the question - what the artistic meaning was invested in this or that figure, and where does the in-depth creativity lay?

Quite often, if there is a figure in the market with the proper name of its historical prototype, then its portrait similarity to the original is not there, because sculptors who have done this type of figure have problems with anatomy, and only true professionals do achieve quality figures, and especially when it comes to portraying more define facial expressions of these miniatures.

The last problem is that in the current market it is very difficult to purchase a figure or bust that is remembered immediately and instantly. The market has a fairly large number of new products every month, and on the one hand, I want to buy a few miniatures. How to solve this issue?

It's very simple - so you see a new release, and a few minutes later without being in front of it, try to create the sculpture in your mind, reproduce it as authentic as possible, and clearly remember not only to which character it belongs to, but also some of the details you like most. Now, if you remember all of these, then you should buy it.

The approach of our company is simple - once you see our miniatures, you will clearly reproduce them in your memory in a week and a month. Each of our miniatures corresponds to our slogan – the life or remarkable people.

UNQUOTE

They are concentrating on 1/14th releases in busts with figure to follow looking at the website

6 new releases available in sets of 3 or individually all depicting HM The Queen and Prince Philip in early , mid and later life

Choice options of with headwear or bareheaded

Certainly worth bookmarking

They have a Facebook page as well

Website details : https://9gate-miniatures.com.

E mail contact : info@9gate-miniatures.com

Firstly HM The Queen

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

This last can be painted in various versions image.jpeg

Prince Philip

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.png

Nap
  2. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Innovative and great sculpts. Particularly like the elder queen and prince. Look forward to these being released.
    Nap likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

They are released now and available to buy via website

Nap
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A bit niche these (and not for me) but they're quality sculpts and good likenesses. Looking forward to seeing what else they have up their sleeve.

- Steve
    Oda, gforceman, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    After reading the preamble l was expecting something quite revolutionary rather than something that would be more at home in the tower of London gift shop.

Although l am not enamored with the choice of subject some of the likenesses are quite good but not all, no idea how many variations they intend to release in what is a niche market.

Having identified what they obviously see as flaws in the market l look forward to seeing offerings which might live up to the hype
    Billy Dickinson, akaryu, Oda and 5 others like this.
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just to clarify, in my opinion the older busts of both the Queen and prince Philip are very good but not sure about the earlier portraits. Even so the Queen in green is more sympathetic than the version in red, perhaps it is the way it is painted?
    Oda, clrsgt, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  7. misfit151 A Fixture

Very nice indeed....;)...Mike
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mmmmm.........?:unsure:

Can cope with the sculpts more than the preamble......

(y)
    Oda, Babelfish and Nap like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

My thoughts on these are as Steve says a little niche , sculpting looks good but agree with Keith the older versions are my favourite as well ....lots of medals !

Agree with comments about pre amble ..bit long winded

I would probably buy the older ones and HM in her WW2 uniform ...what I have noticed is the "Star" is missing on the older queens clothing ...or at least some of it .

Looking at website they are £20 each or £50 for 3 ....not sure if you can mix and match ??

Let's see what they follow these up with

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Oda likes this.
  10. Reptor A Fixture

Japan
    Great work! The paint is just fantastic ! Good luck for the futur ;) and long life to 9th Gate Miniatures !!!!! :love:(y):D;)
    Martin Rohmann and Oda like this.
  11. Oda A Fixture

They do sound full of themselves don't they?What I see is some excellent busts,beautifully sculpted,impeccably cast and painted to a high standard but nothing that would imprint itself on my mind making it impossible to forget or instantly recognisable for that matter.Nothing bad with having great aspirations and dreams and if what comes next stands up to their manifesto I will surely applaude but for now this is one more promising and high quality company among many other equally promising and high quality companies.

Oda
    Nap, Tecumsea, akaryu and 2 others like this.
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Have to concur with the other comments about the preamble, it really is a load of old waffle that promises much more than it delivers. Must confess that I didn't even bother reading it first time round.

Still, we can only wish them well and hope that they come up with something a bit more exciting next time.

- Steve
    akaryu likes this.
  13. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Must be the heatwave over here clouding my brain, but a niche it certainly is to put it mildly! I wouldn't even consider painting three versions of one of our monarchs, but that's us Belgians of course. I noticed that young and middle-aged Philip has exactly the same medals however, which is rather odd, but then with royalty you never know. As for the introductory blablabla, I don't recall Ray Lamb or Sid Horton, to name just a few, ever stuffing us with literary hyperbole when announcing a new figure. They just did their job awfully good, we read about it in MilMod, bought it and painted it! Yes I know, too many hours in the glaring sun counting killer whales affects my reason! Sorry guys, must be the heat!
    Cheers,
    Pierre
  14. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Have to say the older versions are the only ones that do it for me and then I think only a very skilled painter will be able to achieve a lifelike representation in this scale. The younger versions don't succeed for me. I doubt I would have guessed who they were without the write up.
    Tecumsea, Oda and valiant like this.
  15. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Having read the pre-amble I now remember why I took early retirement after 39 years working for a high street bank! Painful memories!!! Bob
    Nap and Oda like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

I see on FB that the company has reconfirmed the scale and measured etc and the busts are 1/14th

As they say every mm helps

Nap
  17. 9th Gate Miniatures New Member

Hello guys!
    We would like to thank you for the kind invitation to the forum and we are here to answer any question you have, in fact, we appreciate any comment, good or bad of our figures or any other topic related to us.
    Also we would like to ask you what do you see in our company, what is the feeling it sends to you.
    We are very young, a couple of weeks now, but we have been working for almost two years. What you are seeing now is just the very start, and the figures we are releasing in the next weeks follow the same rule, but what we say is more what we want to accomplish (and i think you will understand with some of the releases we have planned) rather than what you are seeing this last two weeks.
    Anyway, we will really appreciate any kind of collaboration to understand better the public, we are open to everything :)

Thank a lot
    9thGM
    Jay74747, Oda and Nap like this.