1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

9th East Norfolk Officer Elan13/PF bust Project

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by elanlane13, Apr 16, 2017.

1. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Below are some very smudgy snaps of the initial progress of the bust that members voted to have made for release at Euro Miniature Expo in September. It has been a long time since I wrote articles for magazines so my planning to take snaps at stages during sculpting is a bit rusty, hence there are jumps between the stages. All snaps are from the mobile phone, if I had to set up a light tent etc nothing would get done!

The first snap is of the picture that inspired the sculpt at the start. It will not be a direst copy and I have used other research materials to check details of officers in similar attire at the same period in the Caribbean.
    [IMG]

The first snaps are of the head. I started this at Figureworld West. It's always good to get feedback when sculpting, as it enables tweaks to be made. All sculpting thus far is with Bees Putty, which I think is an excellent medium and very forgiving for making corrections. At this stage shapes on the head are being sketched with a little refining of detail.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Next we have the head added to the torso. Still sketching, with nothing baked. You will notice that the top of the head has been trimmed down to take the top hat later in the production sequence. I have also put in the ears although these will largely be covered by hair. There is a danger of not giving enough volume to the hair if they are left off.

[IMG]

The next snap shows the body beginning to be sketched in clay. More detail has been added but at the moment it looks awful with the head seeming to be too large and the hair dreadful, but the joy of working with clay means adjustments are easy.
    [IMG]
    The final snap shows him where he is at the moment. There has been further sketching of the body and some detail is being added. The jaw line has been changed, hair altered and lapel re-shaped. The collar is still wrong. Loads of finishing still to do before the first baking takes place. Then more detail and the hat can be started.
    [IMG]

More snaps to follow when I've added more stuff. Note to self don't get carried away and forget to take snaps...
    Chrisr, captnenglish, ellie and 6 others like this.
  2. Edward A Fixture

England
    Looking great so far Robert. I like the expression on the face (y)
    Viking Bob and anstontyke like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rob

Good to see this taking shape ..put me down for one please!

You are using bees putty ...can this be mixed and used alongside magi sculpt ?

How long will you bake it for ?

Following with interest

Nap

Note to self ...follow this !
    Viking Bob and anstontyke like this.
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely Rob,

Happy putty pushimg

Paul.
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking great Rob.
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks very promising so far.

Marc
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Looking good so far Rob. Interesting choice by yourself and pf members. I can only remember this being sculpted once before and that was a full 54mm figure that i painted in 1988. It was by North West frontier and was based on the regiment in Martinique in 1793. Watching this develop.

Keith
    peedee, anstontyke and captnenglish like this.
  8. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the feedback, I aim to get more done this week.
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    A quick update.
    Some more work completed, with extra refining of detail. The hair has been done twice, as I didn't like the initial version!
    He's now off to be baked before more detail, refining and rubbing down.

Smudgy phone snaps below:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rob

Really coming along now ,lije the face , he has a bit of well bred junior officer look about him

Looking forwArd to seeing the final details being added and seeing the headwear as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    anstontyke and elanlane13 like this.
  11. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    This is coming on great Rob, I look forward to seeing the end result and I like the whole concept of making the choice of subject a competition.

Best wishes, Gary.
    elanlane13 and anstontyke like this.
  12. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the feedback Kev and Gary.
    He's baked now and the sanding down has begun. Then on with the hat.
    napoleonpeart and garyhiggins like this.