1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 95th Rifle Sgt. Peninsular Campaign

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All
    Taking a break from the dio to keep the brushes moving.
    The subject is a sergeant of the 95th Rifles in Spain, a 54mm (a small 54 at that) from Art Gerona. So far, I want to call the green and fleshtones done. The green is a different mix I haven't used before... hopefully it portrays the faded worn-out look of a campaign uniform. Of course there will be extensive weathering at the end to give the idea of months in the field.

As usual, my photograghy is s*#t (I tried diddling with the camera settings and I think I made things worse:depressed:) The glare is mostly from the lights, but I hope it doesn't take away from the green tone too much... I'd really like some opinions on this colour before I go too much further.

Thanx for having a look.

Colin

IMGP0213.jpg IMGP0214.jpg IMGP0215.jpg IMGP0216.jpg IMGP0217.jpg IMGP0220.jpg

Attached Files:

Aveleira and tiberius57 like this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    ahhh, i think we do the same over and over Colin.
    I too started on a fusilier of 1791 with the tarleton helmet , need time away form the yorktown lol.
    I can't miss this one, definitively the right start, the green looks a little brighter but like you said,it may be the camera settings. I suck at taking pictures too :(.
    Keep up the excellent work my friend,looking forward to see this one.
    Cheers
  3. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I wouldnt mind getting a green mix off you at some point mate if you can, I'm looking forward to seeing the end product. (y)
    MarquisMini likes this.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Green is a bit light to me Colin I used a colour like a bottle green on my 95th bod, the uniforms in Sharpe are pretty accurate colour wise mate

Steve[IMG]
  5. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Sharpe is based on my exploits.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    As a P.S Colin if you want it to be really accurate you could paint it brown apparently the uniforms were patched/made up so much with the only available Portuguese cloth which was brown that a lot of the regiments were barely recognisable as British let alone which particular Regt.

Steve
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Having rummaged around on my desk Colin you could try giving him a wash with Citadel Biel-Tan Green (new range ink) be sure to be a bit generous with the X21 though as it's a bugger for drying gloss :(

Steve
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Steve
    I have some pics of actual jackets and the green is very dark for sure... when new.
    $(KGrHqVHJDME9!NU,gZ8BP,HSgdF,Q~~60_35.jpg 95th-rifels-tunic.jpg RB5044NV.jpg
    I've been reading a regimental history and it seems these cats didn't get much chance to freshen up (they weren't even issued tents) so I was going for a grubby faded out look. Instinct told me the base would be Deep Green and Black (for the "new" colour)... so I went with Deep Green and German Camo Brown Black as a base and then added more Deep Green and English Uniform to the base for highlights, with a touch of Basic Skintone added to that for the final high. Ger. Camo Brown Black to the base was the shade.
    aiwc3.jpg
    You think maybe I went too light? It's not beyond repair yet, would deepening the shadows bring the whole tone of the colour down?
    There is also some wear sculpted on the figure, ie patches, that will add to the worn out look.

Thanx for the input

Colin
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great start Colin! (y)
    Looking to the references, I think that it is to light. Just deepening the shadows it will increase the contrast between the base and the shadow. I think that you need to go with a darker base, but not very much darker. Maybe an incremental filter with Deep Green and German Camo Brown Black (50/50) will work. This will tone down the whole, but still leaves room for contrast.
    Keep us posted!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    To Zeno: So basically an all over wash with a mix half way between the existing base and the shade tone to bring down the overall brightness?
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Yes, but is not a wash. A wash is running and leaves the pigment in recesses. You need a filter that will distribute the pigment on the surface to tone down the overall brightness. The filter dilution is close to a wash but less water but still very translucent. Multiple layers will do the trick.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Understood. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers
    tiberius57 likes this.
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    You are welcome, my friend and keep us posted! :)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  14. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    colin, try one drop of english uniform or better so,Khaki and a drop of basic green with a little bit of black, add 15/20 drops of distilled water and try few "wet" passes at it.
    Let me know if it works
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Daniel, I think the English uniform is what contributed to the kind of "olive" tone to the green as well as the brown black in the base. I did a few filter passes with a 50/50 mix of Deep Green and Black.
    Here's the result:
    First pass-
    IMGP0231.jpg
    Second pass-
    IMGP0232.jpg
    Final pass with some touch ups on the highs-
    IMGP0237.jpg

Better?

CJ
    Aveleira likes this.
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    That looks about right Colin at the end of the day we don't know what wear and weather did to the dyes of the period really you may have nailed it with the first colour, but that looks right to my eye mate.

Steve
  18. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
  19. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    It looks right to me, Colin! (y)
    This will be a nice little jam. Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  20. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    looks great Colin, i think you've got the right color , nothing is written in stone as for the correct color , but if you are happy with it is a done deal.
    Looking forward to the progress.
    (y)