1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 92nd (Gordon Highlander) - Waterloo 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, May 14, 2011.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Eversince i was about 10yrs old and my parents took me to see the film WATERLOO at the cinema i became hooked on the subject and 40yrs later i'm still reading and studying this great battle.
    When i recently saw the bust of the 92nd Highlander from Young miniatures i was blown away,i have painted figures from the waterloo campaign before but none have been as good as this bust,i felt it was just the type of bust i could use my paticular painting style on.
    As i have previously mentioned before on previous posts on young's busts i have painted all the parts wer'e very crisply cast and the detail was exceptional,all parts wer'e of excellent fit with just a tiny bit of filler required arround the neck stock.
    Only 1 battalion the '1st served at waterloo and quatre bras,at waterloo the unit was attached to the 9th british brigade under the command of Maj Gen Sir Dennis Pack which was part of the Anglo-Hanoverian 5th division under sir Thomas Picton.
    The battalion fought with great distinction in repulsing part of the great french 1st corp attack in the early afternoon and in paticular the rout of Baron Marcognet division which lost an eagle to the scots greys,some of the 92nd wer'e responsible for rouding up french prisoners.
    Historians have it that some of the highlanders actually grabbed the stirrups of the passing scots greys,a daunting thought!.

Anyway sorry to bore you,the figure was undercoated with GW chaos black,after which GW acrylic colours were used for the base coat colours which was then followed by final painting in oils.
    Weathering was important with this bust as the weather conditions for the campaign was very poor,clothing was not of good quality and the 92nd took part in both actions at quatre bras and waterloo.

One final note and i hope my fellow planeteers dont mind me mentioning this,as a member of the waterloo commitee i recieved some very sad news recently that proffesional thieves had removed the large wooden crucifix of christ from the chapel at the chateau Hougomount,the crucifix was there at the time of the battle and sustained only burn damage to the feet during the battle,this would be a very odd piece to sell on the black market and i can only assume it has been stolen for a private collecter,i hope you will join me in wishing everyone involved in the finding of the piece very good luck.

A very big thank you to all my fellow planeteers for taking the time to look and once again i hope you did'nt mind me mentoning the battlefield theft.

:)

Attached Files:

gordy, John Bowery, Don and 11 others like this.
  2. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Excellent paintjob, Brian! Very nice work, mate!
    Eddy
  3. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Greetings Mr. Brian Smith:

First of all, I want to mention that it is easy to see from your most artistic
    style and the background that you picked behind the bust, it being just
    slightly out of focus so as not to distract the viewer's eye from the extremely
    well painted bust, that obviously, you are a true artist, with the artist's eye.

You really have a feel for how to use colour in an extreme weather-
    beaten way. And this is not easy to accomplish. My opinion is that
    it is so easy to either not go far enough, considering the most
    interesting text you wrote, about that particular British unit, or yet
    to go too far. I think you've really struck a balance here.

And again, this requires skill and a good eye for just the right tones,
    hues, colours.

And lastly, I do appreciate you taking the time to write that interesting text
    about the unit and just what a big sacrifice they had to make with such a
    great deal of action on that fateful day.

I am very sorry to hear that professional thiefs have stolen the cross from
    the battlefield memorial. What a travesty. Another reminder that indeed. . .
    there are nasty thieves among us. However, on a more cheerful note,
    congratulations on a beautiful presentation. I am somewhat Kermit the
    Frog "green" with envy. . . But not out of control you understand. :cool:

Ricardo Jayhawker
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice job and a realistic intepretation of the fading that occurred with British uniforms of the period. Very evocative.

Re. the theft of the Hougoumont cross - I just hope no bozo cuts it up for souvenirs before its found! That theft is probably on a par with the recent theft of the "work shall set you free" from sign over the main gate at Auschwitz...at least they got that one back!

Colin
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Brian, Fantastic paint job. I love the strong contrast of tones in the face, tough guy look, and the effects of dirt on the uniform and belts. The right arm shreds and the holes in haversack, gives the sensation that the soldier is in combat. I like it, the result is different from the artbox.

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very kool Brian. Nicely weatherbeaten.

Regards, Ron
  7. marius'mules New Member

United-States
    The texture of the knapsack, bedroll and cross belts is stellar. I'm curious; did you use a technique called pointillism, to achieve the textured/weather beaten look?

The pinkish hue of the Regimental coat is good also, which according to contemporary sources; is the correct look due to the heavy rains of the night before, causing the white clay powder of the belts to run and saturate the red wool and turn it a pinkish hue.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Well researched, and superbly painted Brian.
    Carl.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good painting. I like the dyed colors.
    I don't like the hard contrast in the face. But that is a personal taste.

marc
  10. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thats excellent mate. The different colours which make up the shades come together brilliantly and really caught my eye.
    Superb work.
  11. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian great painting and a very realistic portrayal, Congrats.

Cheers Ken
  12. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    It's wonderful painting, Brian.
    The color of the faded clothes is very cool.
    Indeed a creative work.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  13. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very creative style of painting Brian.

Cheers David
  14. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    brian, very nicely done! bill
  15. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Eddy
    Rick
    Colin
    Eduardo
    Ron
    Carl
    Marc
    Grant
    Alexandros
    Ken
    Mitsutaka
    Dave
    William

Many thanks for all your kind coments,they are very much appriciated.:)

Steve - many thanks for your coments,can you tell me what POINTILLISM is :confused:
  17. marius'mules New Member

United-States
    Brian,

Pointillism has been around in the art world since Georges Suerat developed the technique 1886--so it's nothing new.

The technique involves; using tiny dots of various color layered in over the the highlights and shadows to create a fuller range of tones and textures.

Dave Youngquest at Michigan Toy Solder has recently started using pointillism when painting his figures to give them an added dimension of realism. The range and depth of textures he creates on the uniforms and leather is striking.

Here is a video at youtube of Dave explaining and demonstrating the use of pointillism for figure painting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9urRwF71kI

Steve
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Brian,
    Very nicely done. I hope they get the cross back.
    Cheers
    John
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Fine work and a distinct style Brian (y) thanks for sharing!

I wish a speedy return of cross as well, @#$!@% theives :mad:
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve / John / Gordy

Many thanks guy's for the kind coments,as of yet i have heard nothing about the theft although interpol have now become involved so fingers crossed they find it.
    :)
    Brian