1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 91st Regiment of Foot 1879

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

I'm surprised no one has a tartan decal, although they can be glossy.
    Oda likes this.
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have added the hands, bread bag buckle, belt buckle and a good clean up. Still a bit to do but overall I'm quite pleased with this first 75mm sculpt. The bayonet is made, need to sort out the water bottle strap and one of the hands I damaged, but
    I can see the finishing line on this build.
    cheers
    Richie
    fig1.jpg fig2.jpg fig3.jpg fig4.jpg
    NigelR, Ferris, Oda and 4 others like this.
  3. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive work and totally worth all your hard work.

Gary
    Oda and Richie like this.
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Gary,
    Thank you. It's been trying at times but extremely enjoyable. It certainly will not be the last 75mm I sculpt.
    cheers
    Richie
    Oda likes this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work mate, 75mm is such a nice scale to sculpt in, also uses a lot less putty than 120mm :)

Cheers
    Steve
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mate,
    How you are you? Hope everyone is good. Not a patch on your work Steve but I have really enjoyed it.
    Cheers
    Richie
    Oda likes this.
  7. bonehead A Fixture

United-States

The figure in the photo (click on the attachment directly above) is an old sculpt by Jim Holt. It is 1/16 scale and as far as I know it was never a commercial piece but only a one off.

Mike
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mike,
    Thank you for the info. It's a lovely piece and something I have always loved.
    Now then, down to business when are you getting going on sculpting 1879.
    Cheers
    Richie
    Oda likes this.
  9. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Richie!

I would love to branch out into other subjects. But the last time I did that, I thought I produced a pretty cool figure:

https://modelcellar.com/shop/sculptors/mike-good/british-officer-1801-egypt

Perhaps the figure was not as cool as i thought it was, but the fact is, nobody bought it. I have become quite shy about these things in recent years because this really hurts the manufacturer and i am only left with egg on my face for suggesting it. Not a good look. :wtf:

Several years ago I even produced a bunch of weapons and equipment for Victorian era British figures. But previous failures discouraged me from ever doing anything with them. Those parts now represent a lot of valuable sculpting time essentially flushed down the crapper. The parts still sit moldering in my parts box.

I would be really happy if folks could prove otherwise. But three or four times bitten, twice shy....

Cheers!!

Mike
    Oda, Nap and Richie like this.
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mike,
    I really appreciate your response and totally understand where you are coming from. You are a revered sculptor and I would love to see you skill put into a figure from my period, but my period I also consider a bit niche. I wish I had the spare cash to put up for a project.
    What ever you personally do next I hope it is a success for you.
    cheers
    Richie
    Oda, Scotty and Nap like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Richie

Nice benchwork there Richie ......your obviously enjoying this process and look forward to more on this and others

Totally agree with Mikes comments ...sculptors and companys time and money are precious and too often sales are dissapointing

Mike is one of the best I know of , respected throughout the hobby ....we all wish him well in projects

Happy benchtime

Nap
  12. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Richie,
    I've just found this again during my research, how did he come out?
    Scotty.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Scotty,
    He is finished and I did make a mould to see how he come out, not as polished as I would have liked if I'm totally honest, but workable.
    cheers
    Richie
    Nap, Oda and Scotty like this.
  14. Oda A Fixture

This has turned out exceptionaly good-as expected-and it will look even better when painted.Some top class modelling there.

Oda.
    Scotty likes this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I missed this thread first time round. Who released the original version? I've never seen it before.

Put me down for one mate if you release it!

- Steve
    Scotty and Oda like this.
  16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Same here - I totally missed this!
    Scotty likes this.
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Aris, Steve & Anthony,
    Thank you so much for your kind words and continued support. I may dig this out at some point and give it another look over. I can't even remember where he is to be honest.
    Steve/Anthony - If you come to the Sword & Lance and I can find the moulds I will run you a copy off.
    cheers
    Richie
    Babelfish and Scotty like this.
  18. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi guys, just a word of warning on painting the trews, the image from the Osprey book has the tartan wrong. They wore Campbell of Cawdor at this time, with the red line running down the front crease. I’ll try to attach some pics.
  19. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
  20. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    This is a modern pair but the tartan is right. Not convinced on the turn ups though.:)
    Scotty.
    DD6D2065-9F72-43E0-BF8F-87E23D6BF4C6.jpeg
    Nap likes this.