1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

90mm Viking 950 AD - Young Miniature review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, May 8, 2008.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    YH9001-R
    Viking 950 AD
    90mm resin
    16 parts
    sculpted & painted by Young B. Song

Viking 01.jpg

I was happy to see Young come out with this resin version of his famous Viking he released in Limited Edition white metal several years ago. The kit comes in Young's sturdy black box with all parts sandwiched between layers of foam. The box is then slipped into a clear plastic sleeve to be able to view the box art label.

Viking 02.JPG

Viking 03.JPG

The above kit is cast in 16 resin parts including the resin base as shown in the bottom photo. The same attention to detail is in this resin kit as was in the white metal version.

Viking 04.JPG Viking 05.JPG

Viking 06.JPG Viking 07.JPG

Above we have the head of the Viking with a mold block to be removed at the top for the helmet to be attached. You can see the locater holes in the top of the head to ensure the helmet is positioned correctly with the nose guard on the front.

Viking 08.JPG

Viking 09.JPG Viking 10.JPG

Above are three views of the helmet with a mold block to be removed from the top.

[ continued in next post ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Viking 11.JPG Viking 13.JPG

Viking 12.JPG Viking 14.JPG

Above you see the upper leg from the knee to the hip section with a mold block on the top to be removed with an axcto knife.

Viking 15.JPG

Viking 16.JPG Viking 17.JPG

Above you see the chest portion of the figure showing the same fine fur detail the white metal kit had. The oblong lug at the shoulder ensures the arm is attached in the correct position.

Viking 18.JPG Viking 19.JPG

Above are the front and back views of the legs from the knees down to the feet. There are corresponding holes on the upper section of the body to ensure you will get the correct positioning so as to fit the slots on the base supplied with the kit.

Viking 20.JPG Viking 21.JPG

Viking 22.JPG Viking 23.JPG

Above are the four views of the cape which you can see the beautiful folds that Young has sculpted in. At the top is the mold plug to be removed carefully for fitment of the head and then helmet.

[ continued in next post ]

3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the thorough review. I made up my mind to get the resin version after I missed on the metal... :)

Keith
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Viking 24.JPG Viking 25.JPG

Above you see the right arm which attaches to the right side under the cape.

Viking 26.JPG Viking 27.JPG

Above you see the front and back view of the pouch that attaches to the waist. The war axe and left hand and the sword and knife that attaches to the waist.

Viking 28.JPG

Viking 29.JPG Viking 30.JPG

The above top photo shows the thick resin base. The bottom two photos shows the front and back of the shield with the right hands attached to the shield.

Additional Box Art Photos

Viking 31.jpg Viking 32.jpg

Viking 33.jpg Viking 34.jpg

Conclusion:

A beautiful resin version of Young's classic 90mm Viking. Minimal clean-up required of the mold blocks with an axcto knife and sanding board. Highly recommended for those who missed out on the metal version.

Young Miniatures web-site
    click here

R217
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks keith.
    The resin version is every bit as detailed as the metal version. I have both versions and did a comparison and it was remarkable that the resin seemed to have more crisp lines than the metal. Of all the Vikings I have done this is my favorite.
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    I missed out on the metal version as well . The casting looks excellent . Thanks for the review Guy.
    David
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks a great figure to me. Also the size 90 mm, i've done a couple and it was not so easy. So much more detail into that size.
    As far as i can see from the revieuw, this figure is loaded with small details.
    Thanks.

Marc
  8. Mark S Guest

Thanks alot for this review,Guy.
    I'm one of those who missed the white metal limited production piece and regretted it.
    I've been tempted to order a resin version but was unsure if I'd be satisfied ~ now I know I would be,thanks.
  9. Recon Active Member

Norway
    That does it! This is a must have! :)

Thank you for the review!

-Sverre