1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 90mm Samurai

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Mar 24, 2012.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi all,
    This is Pegaso's beautiful Samurai that I completed about a year ago. I have just purchased a Light Tent so am trying out some lighting techniques so please tell me what you think of the photos.
    This kit was a joy to paint, but a challenge, it was stripped several times until I was happy with the outcome. Most of it is painted in Oils. It came second in last years Cheif Competition for the painting section.
    Thanks for looking,
    Ben IMG_5653s.jpg IMG_5654s.jpg IMG_5655s.jpg IMG_5656s.jpg IMG_5657s.jpg IMG_5658s.jpg IMG_5659s.jpg
    NeilW, sarouman, Steve and 12 others like this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    And first in Large scale figures at WASMEx too mate. Absolutely superb painting Ben. Your best work by far.
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Tony, yep it got first at WASMEX . Thanks for your comments too
    Ben
  4. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Hi Ben, that is a fantastic figure mate, beautifully painted, well done.
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Beautifully painted Ben and well deserved awards. I've had this in the grey army for years and never had the balls to put paint on it:)

Keith
  6. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andrew, Thanks for your comments, good to hear from you again
    Cheers Keith, much appreciated. It is a mission of a kit to do and quite heavy, but the end product is worth every effort, well posed, looks great and I believe it's pretty historically accurate
    Ben
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ben excellent photography and that is some beautiful detailed painting, congratulations (y)

Cheers Ken
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    great painted figure.
    For the pictures: I think that you have to set the light further from the tent. It's not diffuse enough.

Marc
  9. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I like it. Well done.
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    HI Ken, thanks for the great comments.
    Thanks for that Mike, glad you like him.
    Cheers for that Marc, thanks for the tips on the photos, I think you maybe right as they could be a bit contrasty
    Ben
  11. Mark S Guest

Beautiful work Ben.
    I think there needs to be some tweeking in the photos. I'd like to see a darker background to start with which is perhaps softly lit from behind.
    And the exposure is off just a touch I feel. The fifth picture comes closest to the ideal exposure to me.
    Anyway beautiful painting on a figure I consider one of my favourites.
  12. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for that Mark, I was thinking that a true black background would be too stark against the figure, its a dark grey at the moment, but maybe I will try the change and see how it goes. As for the exposure, I have since redone some more photos and moved the lights farther away from my light tent and that seems to have been better, a bit softer
    Ta
    Ben
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ben
    That is a splendid paint job, The photo's look great ,no shadows !

Ron (y)
  14. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    This is just breathtaking, Ben. The tiny flowers on the sleeves blew me away!!
    Mary
  15. Ferris A Fixture

Wow Ben, that is some amazing paintwork!
    The patterning is particularly impressive. How did you get it so regular?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  16. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ron, cheers for your comments, I'm glad you like the photos, I'm always trying to perfect them.
    Mary, thanks for looking, there are quite a few more flower designs around his clothing but most of them got covered up when I put his armour on him, Oh well thats painting for you!!!
    Thanks Adrian, I repainted him several times so I guess practice makes perfect. If you are talking about the red and blue patterns on his chest, they were done by drawing very faint fine lines with a lead pencil and then using coloured pencils to go over this in a irregular pattern according to reference material.
    Ta
    Ben
  17. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Excellent paint my friend!!!

Alexandros
  18. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you very much Alexandros and Eddy, I am grateful for your comments
    Ben