1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

8th Regt. Cuirassiers Mounted Officer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Figure Mad, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Last year, just before my local clubs annual open day, I decided that I would like to build and paint the Elite Miniatures version of the 8th Regt. Cuirassiers Mounted Officer. And decided to purchase it after the open day. After doing the competition and searching around the manufacturers tables for a couple of hours, I came across a Poste Militaire box on my clubs bring and buy stand. Upon looking inside, there it was, one of last castings of the very same figure before Elite bought the moulds from Poste Militaire so I paid my money and took it home.

There it sat in the cupboard (same old story) untill a couple of weeks ago, when I was asked to paint a figure as my clubs raffle prize for the up and coming open day in April 05, so as a bit of club support, I decided to paint this figure for the raffle prize and why not do a SBS on it while I do it... so here is the first installment.

Painting the horse....

As you can see the painting is done in six stages

1. white primer.
    2. undercoat in Humbrol 062 medium leather.

[IMG]

3. black lowlights giving the definition of the muscles and dark areas of the horse
    4. light black overspray calming the high and lowlights down to a slight tonal change

[IMG]

5. first coat of satin clear over top
    6. second coat of satin clear and painting of the tail and mane, then moving onto the sadle area.

[IMG]

your comments, good or bad are always welcome..... :)

Dave
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Dave,

For me it is the first SBS of painting a horse. When i'am wright you airbrushed it??

I saved this one.

Marc
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc

Yes the airbrush was used

Dave
  4. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Very interesting progress Dave, I´m following the rerst.

Alex
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Your Horses look beautiful Dave......I like the subtle shading you have achieved.

I had to edit your pics tho , so they would fit into the screen without scrolling. Alot of our dial-up members have problems downloading the page when the pics are oversized.
  6. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guy

Dave
  7. amherbert Member

Hi

It looks great.

What scale is the horse?

Andy
  8. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Andy

The figure is 70mm

Dave
  9. Pete Wenman Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good there Dave, this is a figure I have always wanted. You really have the knack for horses.

Maybe if I can win the raffle I can strip it down and repaint it :lol:

Pete
  10. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Dave on behalf of Welling Model Club for his generous gift for our annual figure raffle for this years show which happens on april 9th. I know the work is progressing very well and it will be a great attraction and a fine prize for the lucky winner..superb work so far dave...well done mate.

Roy.
  11. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to this as I got his Guy for Xmas.

Robin
  12. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Robin

I take it you got the Elite Miniatures version.........Beautiful figure

Dave
  13. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Aye

I did, and the casting is superb, now how he goes together is another thing, got a couple of projects to do then on the bench he goes. Interesting enough I aint gonna paint teh horse as a grey either, but was wondering what the 8th used as mounts, were there horses greys?

Robin
  14. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Robin

Now that is a good question and it could depend on at what point they were in combat, considering they could have had an injured horse and used another. But having seen this particular kit with a grey, a black and the darker brown colour that I used, I think that they used what was good for them at the time....

Dave
  15. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I suspect you are right, a horse is a horse when you need one.

Robin
  16. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi All

Just a line to show you the rest f the figure as it comes to the final stages
    fisrt up the face painting, after the base colour of Humbrol 062, this is done in eight stages using Velejo acrylics and no mixing just basic flesh colours, reds, browns and black

1. base of 062
    2. airbrush medium flesh in a kind of line across the face on the top half
    3. light flesh and dark lines around eyes
    4. Eyes and shadows under the nose with medium flesh and a wash of dark red
    5. more washes of dark red around cheeks and inside of mouth
    6. highlights with light flesh and washes of ivory and teeth with ivory
    7. final shadows with black and dark red
    8. starting to paint the helmet

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

once this was finished, I concentrated on the figures body and legs and finishing the horse

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  17. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    that's cool stuff Dave..thanks for the update, keep the pictures coming..maybe a bit bigger so we can get a closer look at the face as it takes shape..

can't wait to see him in the flesh..(y)

Roy.
  18. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    thanks dave.....now even my tired eyes can see 'em :lol: :lol:

really though Dave..the face looks absolutely excellent, well done my friend..

Roy.
  19. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys

Here is the latest pics (Nearly finished)

Dave

[IMG]
  20. Pete Wenman Member

United-Kingdom
    Christ Dave, do you ever sleep. Your rate of progress is astounding, especially as the quality is so high :eek:

Terrific piece of work

We need to chat on how you work with acylics, my attempts just don't seem clean enough.

Pete