1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

8th Figure update oart III

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by iceman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. iceman Member

Well here we go another update.

I have done the Hungarian breeches, the images don't do them justice, althoughI always find reds or in this case scarlet to be difficult to get the shading and highlights right.

Boots again look better in real life....I really have to get this photo taking sorted out. Although I haven't done any dusting on the boots and I'll do some on the knees of the breeches, as I want to impart a slight out in the field look to them.

Once again I am satisfied that it's progressing nicely, although after seeing some of te work at Hornchurch from the likes of Figure Mad, Blind Pew and others I still have an awfully long way to climb still, but Figure Mad did give me some nice tips and pointers which for the boots I tried to do, but quite obviously need to work on the skill!

As always critique would be most welcome. Thanks for looking.

Regards

Tim

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Arminous Member

Hi all!

Tim,your work looks great,very clean and carefully painted!If I'm not mistaken,these trousers look slightly glossy,right?Well,they shouldn't ;).If you want my advice don't use any matt varnish this time,but try next time to work your paint a way it doesn't get glossy :).

Shading and highlighting red...mmm...Well,it's not difficult,but it depends on the red you want paint and the type of cloth.For example,a silk cloth which is supposed to be scarlet should be shaded by vermilion and carmine,while a woolen scarlet cloth should be shaded by a mix of scarlet and black,or green or purple,or brown...

I rarely highlight red,instead I want the cloth to look like shiny silk.Otherwise,my last highlight is in the red-tone I planed the cloth to be(in your case,the last highlight is pure scarlet,otherwise it may look orange.).Anyway,good mixes for highlighting red are:
    Red with:White and/or yellow and/or orange and/or flesh and/or beige and/or light grey.

A general rule:When you want to shade or highlight always try mixes of you basic colors with light or dark colors of any kind.For example,istead of using black to shade,shade with very dark blue.This will make the figure look shaded under the twilight.

Please let us see more!Bravo so far!
    -Kostas.
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tim

You are doing very well with this figure, its a brilliantly sculpted piece and you getting much better with every figure you paint. Kostas gives a valid point with shading the red. As for the boots, I know it will take a bit of time to get used to that method I suggested, maybe you will find a method of your own, as we all do. But so far its a cracking figure mate, well done.

Dave
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Morning Tim, this looks fine from where I'm sitting. Don't forget that the larger scales, and I think this is at least 150mm can can VERY difficult to shade and highlight convincingly. This is because, with the figure being so big in the first place, natural light itself does at awful lot for you.

A trick that some use when dealing in red is to do the overall shade perhaps slightly darker than you would anyway. This gives the highlights further to go, if that makes sense. Also helps prevent the highlights looking too pink.

And the boots? In that scale try getting away with Humbrol satin black, with perhaps light highlights in a VERY pale blueish gray. Possibly shading in black oils. Though any advice you got off Dave will stand you in good stead, and as he quite rightly says, we all find our own way eventually. It only takes 20 years or so. :lol:

I personally reckon most people's techniques are bits they've nicked from others!

Enjoy yourself with it mate, looks like you are already ;)
  5. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Tim that's a lovely red you got there. Personally I love it. One little suggestions.. when you take photos, put something for background, so we can focus directly to the subject and not to your Tamiya paints hehehehe.

Xenofon