1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 8th Cuirassier Regiment Graf Gessler.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jun 17, 2013.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    SURPRISE!!!! :wideyed:

I bought this Michael Miniatures bust at Sword & Lance because the period is of interest to me and following Steve kirtley's demo at the Darlington Military Modelling Society meeting on Friday I was inspired to try oils on it. This is the first time I have attempted oils on anything but a flat so any help will be gratefully received.
    I'm a bit disappointed with the sculpting of the eyes but once the helmet is in place they might not be as noticeable.

Roger.

PICT0013.JPG PICT0014.JPG PICT0018.JPG
  2. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    I think I know what you mean about the eyes, Roger. The engraving of them not seem too clean and precise. Maybe is too late to correct them using a little drill, once you have started to paint it. I like your skin tones and the beard. I remain attentive.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Eduardo.
    I decided not to try any correction of the eyes in case I made a bigger mess of it, like I said hopefully once the helmet is in place it won't look too bad. It's still a nice bust and I'll enjoy painting it.

Roger.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    My goodness Roger this must be like painting the Forth Bridge for you. I like the skin tones and once the sheen has dried I think it'll look great.
    The left (his right) eye is without doubt a bit rough, might be worth running a scar down through the corner to compensate for the 'pull'
    Once the helmet and the rest of the metalwork is done should be an impressive piece.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Wings5797 likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Del. Yeah it's quite a step up from a 30mm flat. :wideyed:
    I'm not sure my skills are up to adding a scar but if it's still noticeable after the helmet is on I'll just say it's the results of a duelling injury. :playful:

Roger.
  6. Tarracus A Fixture

I'm not sure that the helmet will disguise that lazy eye, but I agree with Derek's idea in case you don't want to proceed with a dremmel surgery.
    Anyway it's a nice start
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Gerard, I'm not so sure either, just hoping.

Roger.
  8. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    When in doubt got to the fantasy nutcases :happy: if they haven't thought of it it simply doesn't exist......even in the realms of fantasy.
    It's always worth looking at fantasy modelers blogs they really push the hobby forward.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Derek I'll seriously bear that in mind. I think I'll paint some 30mm's while I ponder it... it's easier. :wacky:
  10. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    I think you achieve some nice skin tones! Following the progress!

Regards
    Pedro
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Great project, Roger! I've watched as the newer busts have come on the market (and I don't mean the American adult video industry), and there are great subjects, like Ulrich Puchala's sculpts.

I think you got a bad cast, as far as that eye is concerned. I'd swear that I've seen the box art, and he doesn't have that lump. But it's an opportunity to stretch your skills to deal with it.

Looking forward to your progress!
    Prost!
    Brad
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Brad, the box art photo looks fine I must have just been unlucky. I do like the busts from Michael Miniatures though there's some great subjects.

Roger.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    The easyist way to get the eye fixed is sculpting a eyepatch. Done that before and it works.
    Looking forward to the next step.

Marc
    theBaron, Wings5797 and DEL like this.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Marc that's a good idea!
  16. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Roger, really glad you enjoyed Steve 1st class demo last friday, you are really pushing on with this chap, I too like the skin tones you have used, can I suggest you give him a 'milky eye' to denote an eye injury; I know it is a bit Hollywood but it might work for you.
    Looking forward to seeing you and this bust back at the club when you are next ashore.
    Dennis
    DEL likes this.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Dennis, that's another option open to me.
  18. PhilinYuma Member

United-States
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Phil, I've been scouring the internet looking for something like that.
    I'll try the milky eye with scar first, if that doesn't work I'll cover it with an eyepatch.... a smaller one. :playful:
    Thanks again.

Roger.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Roger ,

[IMG][IMG]

YE HAH ....A bust on your bench .......nice to see , the flesh is going to look good , this is a nice subject as well ...............................at least when you get to the end you won't have to start again likethe bridge ......

be intersted how you approach the cuirass

Over to you mate

I am still in shock ...but happy shock !!!

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    billyturnip likes this.