1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

88th New York Volunteers, 1863

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Gary, have you looked at the Wolf line of ACW weapons? They have more of a selection than Shenandoah does.

http://www.milminwh.com/wolf_acw2.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the above linked page.
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I have some of those Kreston. I need to do a figure using one. They are very well done.

Having said that, I look forward to the SBS Gary. (y)
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    If I'm not mistaken, those are a bit smaller, more like 1/35.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Basic Weapon Construction When you have made the reduced/enlarged "plans" for your weapon you're ready to start. I use plastic strip stock for the stock of the weapon and brass rod and wire for the barrel and ramrod. The detail parts of the weapon are typically done in plastic and putty.

The weapon I am making is a Model 1842 musket which was the first U.S. musket to use the percussion system. The drawback was that as a smoothbore it was not as accurate as a rifled musket. The typical ammunition was a .69 caliber ball with 3 buckshot in the load, "buck & ball" as it was called. It was deadly up close, but getting close to your opponent was the task, sorry for the history lesson.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Basic weapon construction continued The "basic" weapon will consist of the stock, made of sheet plastic, and the barrel and ramrod made from brass rod/wire.

The weapon will be made in three (3) sections "sandwiched" together.

Section 1 (middle section) is the stock (with allowance for a ramrod) and the barrel.
    Sections 2 & 3 make up the remainder of the stock on either side of the barrel.

Section 1 Choose plastic stock that is the same width of the diameter of your barrel. In this case I am using Evergreen Scale Models (ESM) styrene that is .020 X. 250 (0.05 X 6.3 mm) with K & S.032 brass rod.

I start by cutting out the section of the stock shown in the drawing from my reduced copy. Concern yourself with the portion of the stock that starts at the base of the barrel to the butt plate (portion of weapon that rests against your shoulder when firing).

Attached Files:

6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary

Am I ever glad I asked for an SBS!!!! Superb so far!

Rob
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This cutout is then superglued to the piece of plastic choosen for the center section (section 1). Once the glue has dried, take a fresh knife blade and cut out the darkened portion of the stock glued to the plastic. After you have finished take some fine sandpaper and sand away the paper you glued down. It is important to not use too much in gluing this down as the glue dries pretty hard and you may find yourself sanding away more plastic than paper because too much glue was used. The photo shows the portion removed from your reduced copy and glued in place to a piece of strip stock.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is what you should be left with after sanding the paper away. I'm now ready to continue with the rest of the stock.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Thanks. If you should find my writing confusing or the steps not making sense let me know. Additionally, if you should think of an easier way to do any of the steps let me know. Learning is what this is all about.~Gary
  10. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary

I do appreciate your efforts in doing this, and, yes, if I see any easier ways I'll shout. All makes sense so far.

Learnings lots this end!

cheers

Rob
  11. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Excellent sbs Gary! Thanks for sharing your techniques.

Can't wait to see how you do the top barrel band.
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Section 1 construction continued Now it's time to concentrate on the center section of the stock the barrel rests on/in. Look at the drawing and note the heavilt highlighted outline of the drawing is where I'm at (Sections 1 & 2). As the ramrod is located underneath section 3, sections 1 & 2 could be done together. If I did it in one piece I'd have to keep in mind how the barrel was positioned.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is where I'm currently at. Section 3 is next.

Attached Files:

15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

My friend you continue to do great work and you are so sharing. I think we all here have gained some great knowledge and know how from you and I would like to say thanks!

Joe

PS I look forward to talking with you at MFCA!
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks. I'm trying to figure out already how to do it. It's easier when working in a larger scale.

Joe, Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy doing this sort of thing. Besides, It keeps me moving along on projects. I'll bring these to the show (unpainted of course) so you can see them.~Gary
  17. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    This is awesome!
  18. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    I must agree,Gary,awesome stuff (y) (y) Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Section 3 added. I scanned this pic as they're not photographing well. My Nikon was really good at this type of stuff.

Attached Files:

20. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    gorgeous work Gary! (y)