1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

88th New York Volunteers, 1863

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 10, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks a lot I do appreciate it. These figures are an educational exercise as sculpting in putty with a very limited working time has it's frustrations.~Gary
  2. y_wong New Member

You're doing alright. Looking forward to its completion. Keep up the wonderful work and thanks for sharing it with us, your SBS.

regards
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking AWESOME my friend! I love the shell jacket look. You don't see that on Federal soldiers in miniature. Are you going to add the slash pocket?
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks, I already added the slashed pocket, it just looks like a fold in the pics.~Gary
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sculpting the haversack After having no trouble with the waistbelt I decided to move on to the haversack. A few things I needed to keep in mind is where it needed to be positioned on the figure and most important, to make it look like there are things inside of it. I'm getting to the point where some of my work area and a much needed tv tray needs to be used to hold all of the references for this project.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I start by placing a blob of putty on the figure and slowly start to work out the overall shape of the haversack. I'm careful to keep it high on the body and imagine the items that could be inside.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I now start to work in the folds after the putty has started to cure.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After this step is complete I then put a light film of vaseline on the back of the canteen that will rest on top of the haversack. After the putty has cured I will pop this off an add the flap to the haversack.

Attached Files:

9. Manfred Active Member

I enjoy your SBS pics a lot.

Very educational.
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Very nice,interesting step by step on sculpting.

Roc. :lol:
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roc & Manfred, Thanks a lot. Here is where I'm at on the NY figure. I'm going to scratchbuild a musket and cap box with the rest of the details being commercial pieces. The waistbelt and cartridge box plate(s) are Shenandoah Miniatures photo-etched pieces, they are really well done and work great for this kind of project.~Gary

Attached Files:

12. Cheesey153 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary, I'll soon start a 54mm Confederate, utilising Shenandoah parts. I'll use your work as reference & inspiration!
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cheesy, Thanks my friend. If you need any references let me know.~Gary
  14. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Looking good, Gary! You've got the placement of the haversack and canteen just right.
  15. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary

Continued admiration of your work.....he's coming along nicely.

Will you do an SBS of the musket? that I'd love to see!

cheers

Rob
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Thanks for the kind words. An SBS on the musket? Sure, I'd be more than happy to do that.~Gary
  17. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Gary, look forward to that; we have covered this topic in the past but more in retrospect not as an ongoing project.

going to attempt a 28mm musket for a native american I'm scratchbuilding - very basic I think it will be at that scale!

cheers

Rob
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, It can sometimes be hard to not include everything, but I think a good rule especially for a wargame size figure is just show what needs to be or could be seen.~Gary
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Weapon Construction I thought I would include a brief SBS for the construction of at least one of the muskets I need to do for my 54's. The two drawbacks with the Shenandoah stuff are that they only offer one type of rifle, and the casting quality is average at best.

Reference Materials Your weapons are only going to be as good as your references. I prefer ones with line drawings and or detail photos so I can get everything as accurate as possible.

After selecting your weapon, make a reduced photocopy of the photo/line drawing. Most weapon books give some basic measurements, you'll need to make your weapon scale size. The best tool is the one provided by Planet Figure. In the upper right hand corner you'll notice a little icon of a calculator, click on it and you'll be on your way. You put in the actual size of the item and the scale you want it reduced to. I love all of the math work (sorry Pete)being left to the computer. Say for example your weapon comes out to 1 1/2 inches long, I scan the drawing and then crop it and reduce it to that length. Before reducing your drawing to the final size, take a fine point marker or pencil and darken in the stock, leaving a silhouette of the weapon.

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Once you've done this your ready to take your reduced drawing and begin your weapon. The next steps will show the main parts of weapon construction.

Attached Files: