1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

88th New York Volunteers, 1863

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 10, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The Civil War is one of my favorite subject and it's been a while since I did a figure from the period. Combined with Jason Whitman's inspiring work I decided to give a 54 a go since the bench is bare except for the German tanker. Initially I tried a figure with a Hornet head and after three frustrating attempts settled for something with a Shenandoah Miniatures head. The head is a bit larger in size and is a tad easier to work with. I decided to depict a Private from the 88th New York Volunteers at Gettysburg, one of my favorite battles. The 88th belonged to the famed Irish Brigade, another favorite. At Gettysburg the entire Brigade numbered about 532 men, with the 88th Regiment numbering a mere 90 men. The figure is based on a figure study by Don Troiani, Yes this is a one off.

Illustration from Don Troiani's Soldiers in America 1754-1865
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the basic armature, made much like Jason does. I will do a little corrective work to improve the anatomy and add wire for the arms before detailing begins

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking forward to see this one take shape, it is an excellent drawing.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.

Attached Files:

5. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Oh boy!

-jim cox
  6. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Your armature is much more prettier than mine Can't wait to see this come to life.
    We're in for a treat folks (y)
  7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

Like all the others, I am looking forward to seeing this masterpiece!

Joe
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    definitely!
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks. I really want this guy to have the physical build of someone from the period so I will take sandpaper and thin the armature down some. The weapon will be fun, I'll have to convert a percussion weapon to a Model 1842 smoothbore which is what the 88th had. I hope to start the trousers by the weekend, doing a pantleg at a time.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm thinking of using a bare Shenandoah head and building a forage cap for it. The reason being the one in the photo sits so high on the head the chinstrap would be way too long if I did it like the painting shows. Food for thought I guess.~Gary
  11. Lou Masses Member

United-States
  12. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary, Glad to see you back at the sculpting and doing a zouave never the less. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the figure completed.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin
  13. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Oh yes Gary, (y) very expressive
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the head I chose for the figure, it will suit the figure a bit more than the other one. Notice the slight tilt of the head, this helps to add a bit more life and character to the figure so it does not look so stiff. I have completed the basic brogans (boots) and I'm about ready to start the fun part. As always comments are welcome and appreciated. I have also roughly indicated where the waistbelt will go. During this time the waist was generally about level with the naval, with belts being worn high in a lot of cases. Our resident Civil War reenactors Jason and Kreston may want to add additional info on how equipment was worn.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is a side view. Some of the pics I took were a bit dark but looked better, so some are included here. Here you'll notice the indent for the waistbelt.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is a back view. I did sand and thin the armature in some places as I want him to be of the physical build of a young man from the 1860's. Some of the back of the thigh and calf muscles seem a bit short, that's due to having the camera positioned a bit above and looking down on the figure.

Attached Files:

17. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Gary,

If you don't mind me asking, do you keep anatomical "parts" like a torso, pelvis, feet, so that when youbegin a project, you add the head, pins and work from there? If you do, do you make one and cast the rest?
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Lou, No I do not, Why? I do not know. I always think it would be easier and save time. I guess I enjoy it that much that I really don't mind. I should at least make a couple pair of boots /shoes one with a round and square toe. It would not hurt to save a little time.~Gary
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I started some initial work on the forage cap. I cut a visor and crown (top) from sheet plastic. I glued the visor in place and "flipped" it up as this was something the guys commonly did. Any comments on this Jason,Kreston? A blob of putty was added with the flat crown being placed on top. The remainder will be "fleshed out" once it's dry.~Gary

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    View from the left. I may have to take some of the depth off of the visor as it looks a bit long.

Attached Files: