1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

88mm Flak Gun Diorama

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Edson, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hey guys, as i promise im gonna start my first dio (a winter dio) so let me tell you about it.
    its gonna be a dio with the 88mm flak from Tamiya in the first view and the kit of "Ardennes Chapel" from Verlinden productions, but i need a more bigger chapel to put inside the Flak(anti-aircraft) so im gonna enlarge the chapel...how? well lets see:

The canon
    [IMG]

The chapel
    [IMG]

ok now my wooden base is about 43cm x 43cm in the next pics i show you the preview position of the flak in the chapel (remember im gonna enlarge it)

in these step of the proyect the canon is almost ready.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

the next step is start to make the "new walls" that gonna fill the empty spaces that you can see in the pics to enlarge it
  2. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey Ed, nice idea, I guess you,ve seen Shep Paine's diorama of the 88mm gun in action in a church, one of the great dioramas of all time I'd say.
    If you haven't seen it, it's a must for your project.
    I think it would probably be easier to scratchbuild new walls to your own dimensions than add on to the ones you have, remember to add inside detail to the walls and don't forget the roof structure as well.

Good luck
  3. Edson Member

Mexico
    Ok, so to make the "new walls" i tought in a simple casting method lol, take a look

1.-First i made a mold with the sizes from one of the originals walls, the mold was made it with little pieces of wood:

[IMG]

[IMG]

2.-Then i used "DAS", was easy to work with it.

[IMG]
    And before to pushing it in the mold i use piece of cellophane to make the rinding process more easy, one more thing the mold has the same original wall thickness. see:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

After all these little process.....
    we have our new walls :lol: now i just have to carving the bricks form
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Im sure there are a lot of ways to make these but these is the mine so i hope you like it, huh? :)
  4. Edson Member

Mexico
    For the figures there are a lot of work, cutting arms, legs, hands, and resculping etc.... :( but will be another day, now im very tired, see you guys :)

Picture of the "hospital"

[IMG]

Cheers
    Ed :lol:
  5. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Edson,looking good so far ;) ;I really admire your courage to take on such a big project ! Looking forward to further updates soon.Good luck,my friend ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Ed!

Looks like you will have your hands full for some time! Looking forward to see its progress and how you handle the groundwork/buildings!
  7. Patrick Kirk New Member

8. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words :lol:

Leight i have not see the sheperd dio that you tell me , (do you have a pic, i would like to see it )

cheers
    Ed :)
  9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ed,

Looking forward to seeing the dio. I have a few armor kits that I am trying hard not to start! :lol:

Joe
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Ed,
    So far so good,looking forward to your next step.
    Keep up the good work.

Roc (y)
  11. Pete_H New Member

Edson - or should I call you "Doctor Frankenstein"? Looking forward to a SbS on how you convert these 1/35 figures. I'm about to do something similar, but would love to see how someone else does it.
  12. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Here you go Ed, this is the only picture I could find, however there was an SBS article by Shep about this dio in one of the early Verlinden books, it may have been volume 2 or 3, I don't have those books anymore but I'm sure they're still around, maybe someone else has more pics.
    It's got to be one of my all time favorites.

Attached Files:

13. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Edson

Ambitious, but exciting to watch.

Leigh, it was in Volume 2, " A wolf in Sheeps Clothing "; still hanging on to my copy! Dated 1983! I was 15.......

:)

Rob
  14. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Argh Rob, that's it! A wolf in sheeps clothing. Over 20 years ago, how time flies !
  15. Edson Member

Mexico
    Wow looks great Leight, i feel a little sad, my dio never will looks like that one :(
    but I WILL TRY!!!! :lol:

Cheers
    Ed ;)
  16. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    That's the spirit,Edson :lol: ;you never know,yours may turn out to be more interesting ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :)
  17. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Don't worry Ed, that diorama was done by one of the true masters of the hobby. It's all a learning experience, every piece has its own unique challenges that must be overcome.

As they say, just do it :lol:
  18. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hello again people, the next pics is just to give a basic idea, that what im gonna use to make the wooden floor in the chapel and the wooden ceiling the square sticks gonna be the floor and the flat round sticks the ceiling.

Now these is just to show you some materials that im gonna use, i hope soon start with the real work :lol:

Cheers
    Ed

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Ed!

Thats some great looking wood stuff, the different colors of the square ones is nice!
  20. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Edson,that's ALOT of wood :eek: ! Looking forward to the next installment in your SBS.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol: