1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 87th Foot Flat c.1760

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jul 21, 2011.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I've just started this 54mm Fredericus Rex figure of a soldier of the 87th Foot, Keith's Highlanders. This will be my first attempt at painting tartan on a flat figure so I don't quite know how it'll turn out. Only time will tell. :)

Roger.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Attached Files:

2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice subject :) I'm anxious to see the tartan! (y)
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Gordy, I've got two more Highlanders waiting so perhaps by the time I get to the third one I might have an idea what I'm doing.... or not.

Roger.
  4. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looks like a nice piece Roger, looking forward to seeing the progress.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Andrew, I've just been studying the pattern of the hose, they could be worse than the tartan :/
  6. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Roger

Looks a nice Flat
    painting the tartan should be fun ....look forward to seeing your progress

Frank
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Frank, the tartan is well on the way I'll post a photo later this evening.
    I don't know if you've tried the Fredericus Rex flats but they are very good indeed.

Roger.
  8. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Roger, a great looking Flat and looking forward to following your first tartan. If you need any help I know someone who might help. :)

Cheers Ken
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Ken, I'm hoping my using carefully placed shadows and highlights I won't have to try and paint a complicated pattern. I'll let everyone here be the judge of if it's worked or not later.

Roger.
  10. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Billy, I have never tried flats , but I am tempted to have a go, I guess you can frame them when finished - is there a difference between a flat and a demi ronde , and for a traditional figure painter which would be the best to try out ? thanks and good luck with this one

Best Regards

Chris
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Chris, yes they can be framed, or based as you would a round figure. If you choose to frame them it's best to trim the footpiece a little.
    To be honest rather than choose true flat or demi ronde I would just pick a subject your interested in and crack on from there. :)

Roger.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    There's some tidying up to do on the kilt and hose but you should get the idea what I'm attempting.

Roger.

Attached Files:

dArtagnan and gordy like this.
  13. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work already Roger!
    Looking forward to see the rest painted.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Marcel.
    This is how it's looking at the moment, I've still got more work to do on the red but I've got all day to myself to paint to my hearts content. :)

Roger.

Attached Files:

15. Nap Moderator

England
    Roger ,
    Really like the way this is going , nice start on the reds ...looking forward to tartan are we !!!!!

Enjoy the painting day

Nap
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Kev, I'm just on my lunch break now :D

Roger.
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is going to be a beauty, Roger!! The "checkerboard" pattern on the socks must have been tricky. Looking great!

All the best,
    Dan
  18. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Those hose look great as does the tartan.
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks fella's. The plaid & hose were suprisingly easy, I must admit I was worried whether I could get it right. It was just a case of a clear plan, a good brush, correctly thinned paint..... and a lot of luck :D

Roger.
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    A bit further on.

Roger.

Attached Files:

dArtagnan, Richie and gothicgeek like this.