1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

79th NY Highlander ACW

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Angaliel, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi everybody,

I'd like to introduce the last sculpt of my friend Greg Girault (Mister Greg, the one who sculpted the "U cant catch me" figures) :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It's a 54mm figures that will be product by DesKit soon.

JP
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another must have from the likes of Mister Greg and DesKit
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The figure is very clean and nicely animated. I do have a few comments to make regarding the uniform. If the figure is an officer he should have an officer's belt plate on his waistbelt. The one depicted was typically worn by enlisted men. There are accounts of kilts being worn in parades, but none showing them worn in battle. Though the 79th also had plaid/tartan trousers, the regiment more than likely wore sky blue kersey trousers with their tunics early in the war. The last item is the blade on the broadsword. It appears a bit large for the scabbard carried by the figure. We would like to envision a lot of these specialized types of dress being worn into battle. The reality is most types of dress were replaced with the standard uniform worn by Federal infantry.~Gary
  4. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice sculping!
    christos
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    JP,
    Tell your friend he has done another great sculpt. I suppose you gonna paint the boxart..
    Let us see the WIP.

Marc
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I have to disagree with Gary. It's a known fact that at the first battle of Bull Run there was a federal regiment who actually where dressed in kilts. I don't know the actual regimental number but they were mainly from scotland (or descendantsfrom). It wasn't the only 'weird' uniform because many units still had their militia uniforms. There were even federal regiments dressed in Gray or southern units in Blue which led to great confusion on the battlefield..
  7. milminwh Member

Howdy Gary,
    I probably have about 100 + books about the Civil War (read about 90% of them!), and I do seem to remember reading that the 79th wore their dress uniforms at the First Bull Run. I looked at my bookcase to see if I could remember where (as a reference), but too much to go through, so I'm relying on my fading memory.
    Although I'm not 100% sure, I believe the infantry wore the tartan patterned trousers during this battle, and regarding the kilts that this officer is done in, this may be an historically accurate depiction (in combat, for this battle only).
    You are correct about the belt buckle though.
    It looks like a cool figure to paint, nonetheless!
    Best Regards,
    John
  8. EdC Member

United-States
    JP,

It seems your friend Gerg's scuplt has spparked a livley debate over kilts and their wear. The mark of a good forum is the ability to have a healthy and civil debate.

I think the scuplt is very good, however think the kilt is laying too flat in the back for what the figure is doing (running). The back of the kilt would not fold in, but would rather billow out is the back and even turn up around the edges abit. The tassels that make up the decoration in the from of the Kilt would not hang down straight, but have a nice arch to them, reflecting the movement.

Ed Cepauskas
    Hereford, AZ
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is more information regarding the uniforms worn by the 79th at Bull Run.

There has been much argument as to whether or not the regiment wore the kilt in this battle. William Todd of Company "B" was emphatic that they did not. He wrote, "If by that it is meant "kilts" it is an error. It is true that all the officers and many of the men did wear that uniform when we left the city (New York) in June 1861 (actually May) and on dress parade occasions in Washington, but when we went into Virginia it was laid aside altogether with the plaid trousers worn by all men on ordinary occasions and we donned the ordinary blue. Captain...? was the only one who insisted on wearing the kilts on the march to Bull Run, but the day before we reached Centerville the kilts were the cause of his drawing upon himself much ridicule and when we started for the battlefield on the Sunday morning he also appeared in ordinary blue uniform".

The unfortunate captain mentioned by William Todd is probably the officer who persevered on wearing his kilts to the amusement of other regiments, his bare knees drawing numerous soldier witticisms. He replied defiantly. "Highlanders wore kilts in India, surely the gnats and mosquitoes of Virginia won't be worse than the venomous insects of the East?" His discomfiture was compounded a little later when, sword in hand, he led a squad of men in pursuit of a pig. Soldiers, observing the chase across the field, shouted such encouragement as "Go it piggy!" "Catch him Captain!" and when the captain unwisely threw himself across the top of a rail fence to seize the pig he presented what a comrade called "such an exhibition of his anatomy as to call forth a roar of laughter". The regiments hooted with delight and chorused, "where's your pants". The humiliated captain never ventured to wear his kilt again.

In spite of William Todd's assertion that no one wore the kilt, there are some who claim otherwise. Perhaps his claim applied only to his own particular company. It is just possible that before leaving New York, the new members of the regiment had no time to he supplied with kilts or trews, so that at First Manassas some men may well have been kilted and others wearing trews or blues, although there is no conclusive evidence to prove the matter either way. A photo taken at Castle Pinckney, Charleston, of prisoners from the 79th captured at Manassas show no trace of any Highland dress. Had any prisoner been wearing a kilt, the photographer would surely have taken a picture of him simply because the costume would have been so unusual.

However, the kilt was certainly discarded after the battle except for ceremonial purposes, although some of the regiment continued to wear tartan trews for a few months until they wore out, when from then on regulation blue trousers were worn by all.

Regardless, it is refreshing to see an early war subject.~Gary

Attached Files:

10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    I personally like the kilt, unique and although maybe not perfectly acurate it is a nice change of pace for this period. I don't have ANY experience to argue that point, just like it for its uniquness.

I agree with Gary about the sword, looks just a tad too wide for the scabard. I will say this, although a nice piece of sculpture, the piece feels quite stiff to me. Both in expression and pose. It just feels like it should have more intesity. M2C, thanks for sharing JP!

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree with Gary, but I still think it will be a hell of a fun figure to paint
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    It's very good to see a sculptor pluck an unusual subject from history, although I can't say anything about the accuracy of the uniform, it certainly makes for an interesting piece..well done Greg...some more aggressive movement in the kilt would be just great, especially toward the rear..just a thought.

Hi Gary....many thanks for that....I almost had to be resussed I was laughing so much...that's a great little snippet from history..obviously the tactics that work for the highland sheep are no use at all on those slippery little piggies...but wow, that would make some vignette...

Fantastic to read....Thanks again...Roy.
  13. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Very informative Gary! Thanks
    So maybe this one is chasing a pig? :)
  14. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Patrick,

You beat me too it. As I was reading Garys story I could see that figure just behind a pig.
  15. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    He can call it 'piggy piggy, here!'
  16. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hahaha :lol:

thx Garyjd and everyone for all additionnal informations.

JP
  17. collector New Member

United-States
    79th New York figure

Hi fellow hobbiests:

I had a few comments to make about the 79th figure. First off, let me say what tremendous talent! Second, there are a few things not so accurate to a 79th soldier of 1859-1861. It is true that the regimental historian, William Todd, did say that kilts were never worn in battle, and neither were the trews. This can be verified by other primary sources from regimental histories of units serving alongside the 79th, and is just one of the criteria of bad source about the 79th as laid out in The Seventy-Ninth Thistle magazine. Another criteria is if the source cites them having a pipe band. There are plenty more bullet points to this line of critique on books and sources about the 79th or the Civil War Of course, we all remember that the unit lasted until 1876 and the veterans organization was active until the 1930's.

There are eleven different uniforms worn by the 79th. At First Bull Run they wore dark blue pants, the Highland-cut tunic (doublet), the Mclellan style kepi, Jefferson bootees, and carried .69 caliber muskets, except for Company E, which was armed with Enfield rifles. In mid-1862 you will find a mixture of standard Federal and New York issue uniforms and equipment. By mid-1863 you will find light blue trimmed New York state jackets, and sack coats, frock coats, and light blue pants. By 1865 you'll find as many sack coats and forage hats as state jackets and kepis.

You can find examples of the post war uniform at the Atlanta Historical Society Museum and the New York State Museum at Albany. The National Battlefield Park of Manassas (Bull Run) has a jacket and glengarry that date before the war, and the Gettysburg Collection has another jacket in storage, which is on loan to them from the Brooklyn Historical Society. The prewar glengarry at Atlanta was part of the Beverly Debose collection and has post war treatment as does the prewar glengarry at Manassas. These uniforms were sent home and worn after the war and in 1868 they got some new uniforms and again in 1872 when there had to be an act of Congress to allow the 79th kilts duty free.

The figure takes some of the attributes of the the old Michael Roberts Kit which used the Severin drawings as the guide. Severin had no way of knowing about the prewar and post war uniforms. All he had to go on was the photograph of Robert Gair, Lawrence Beatie,and George Arnott, and the post war uniform at Albany. Even the belt plate in that kit was ambiguous like the drawings because at the time Frederick Todd of West Point Museum and Severin didn't know if the 79th wore SNY plates or US plates. Well, they wore US plates both the small 1839 pattern and the puppy paw stud and hook larger 1851 pattern. So the collar of this figure looks more like the 1872 pattern than the 1859 pattern jacket they wore. Most folks get the collar wrong anyway. I would use Troiani's print because he used the Manassas and the Gettysburg jackets. But these doublets as they're called are only for enlisted men not officer's. Most of the officer photographs show a frock coat, but this is not worn with a kilt at all. There is a photo of Captain Farrish weaing trews and an officer's sack coat with velvet collar. And a photo of Colonel Cameron wearing trews and a frock coat. Remember too that only a small portion of the 79th ever had the full Highland uniform to begin with. The prewar regiment who had the uniform numbered about 300 men and many of these did not join up in 1861. When the war began they needed to fill more than 600 men into the ranks before they were recognized by the Federal Government in a matter of a little over a month. By the time they recruited men of all nationalities, by the way, the three months regiments were already gone, so they signed up as a 3 year volunteer regiment. They reorganized in 1864 and returned to the field as veteran volunteers.

The sporran in the figure is right on target for the prewar. The post war sporran was very different. We tend to say five lobe versus the bat wing three tassles versus two.

The kilt will have to be resculpted. One cannot go by any known military British kilt to get an accurate 79th kilt. When the Tartan Museum went to study the 79th kilt they wrote another chapter to the kilt book. The kilt portrayed on this figure is a knife pleat to line kilt, but the 79th prewar kilt was a box pleat to sett. They were not made by kilt makers either. The prewar kilts were made by dress makers in New York City. They feature no rise, and they are usually six yards and 25 inches from selvedge to selvedge.

The actual buckle shoes the 79th wore were not true buckle shoes but were false buckles. A leather plate with a false buckle was over laid on top of a tied shoe. There are two types of flashings worn with the kilt hose they were never a tied set but were a buckled set with hook and eye and the post war has a rosette and the prewar carried a straight up and down ribbon sewn to the two tassles.

Most of the basket hilt broad swords seen in photogrpahs were acquired after the war and were worn by the veterans for decades in the late 19th century. For instance, Colonel Morrison carried a 1861 foot officer's sword with an inscription from his men. When the 79th bought their old colonel (Isaac Stevens) a presentation sword it was one of those gaudy Tiffany affairs with Greek gods and such. But they did purchase a nice set of thistle spurs for General Stevens. I've even seen one nice 1821 pattern British light cavalry officer's saber associated with the 79th. It's even etched on the blade with a big "79."

garyjd posted a wonderful photograph made after the 79th had fought at Bull Run and was made at Castle Pinkney in Charleston Harbor of Union prisoners after the battle. In it there are a number of Highlanders the two out front show the uniform at Bull Run. Even Windslow Homer painted a painting of two sergeants returning from Bull Run.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the unit was an older unit. Their first colonel, James Cameron, who was killed at Bull Run in 1861 was over 61 years old. If anyone would like a full bibliography of 79th sources both good and bad please let me know. A word of warning there are quite a number of Civil war books showing the post war uniform. And two uniform books which show the made up uniform of the NSSA 1960's unit of 79th reenactors complete with wing tip shoes.

It would be nice if the regiment had only existed in the years between 1861 and 1865, but they spent more time as a regiment after the war than before the war and during the war. The wildest jacket is a World War One period piece with the NY64 buttons that say: 79 Cameron Highlanders of N. Y. Similar to the Cameron Highlanders button of the Canadian unit except theirs didn't say N. Y., but instead say Canada. In 1918 the members of the 79th New York met in Knoxville, Tennessee to put up their monument.

I remain---Collector
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    William (collector), Great posting, very informative. I remeber the jacket at Gettysburg. My frustration was not being able to see the back. It's great to see someone post some scholarly info on the subject. ~Gary
  19. collector New Member

United-States
    Thanks garyjd: You seem quite the scholar yourself. The jacket at Gettysburg can only be seen by appointment currently, as most of the Rosensteel collection and their old wonderful relics have been put up in storage. As historians we sould be outraged at what the DOI have done to the museum. They just opened up the new one and it was designed for folks who are completely ignorant--a Civil War 101 for the beginner, which is bad for those who hope to see the whole collection so we can actually learn something. The jacket at Manassas is the one with the bombards on the back skirt. There are slight variations in the two prewar jackets, but you would need them side by side or take good notes to recognize the differences. One thing I should add to my critique is that all photographs and surviving jackets have the NY30 (Albert listing) New York battle seal buttons, or the common New York button of the war. Another thing I see modelers do is miss the chevrons of the unit. They were a heavy infantry unit and as a city unit they were also trained in the use of harbor defense (artillery) so their jackets were cut with the artillery colors, but the early chevrons were the light blue, and we didn't see the red chevrons until after the war and then mainly in the 1872 uniforms. There is also a slight change in the color of the tartan too. They wore Cameron of Erracht with the "modern" colors before the war and the post war colors appear to be a faded or closer to the "ancient." They kind of patterned their career after the 79th of Foot of Great Britain, but once you pass the tartan and the regimental number the similarities stopped. The newsletter of the British unit in the late Victorian Era wondered just who these New Yorkers were.

I'd love to see this figure with the prewar glengarry of the regiment. These were only worn by the 79th NY, and not by any other regiment. Their dicing was blue red and white alternating on two rows, and the body of the hat was dark blue, not black as the one in the Time Life book Arms and Equipment of the Union appears to be, but trust me folks it's blue not black. That one is the Debose glengarry in Atlanta and all the treatment such as the hackle and stuff was added after the war. The wartime treatment was a small thistle pin, an 1858 New York officer's hat badge on the black cockade, and a set of faslse embroidered small regimental numbers. I do mean the small ones and not the one inch large ones. By the way all of the red and white checkered glengarries are postwar. The red and white with the black checker are World War One.

Which reminds me of another interesting point. For those who want to model them in late war, a forage hat with no insignia is what is seen in the photographs. That means no infantry bugles, no regimental numbers, no company letters, etc., just plain...boring I know, but accurate. I think the light blue trimmed New York state jacket with light blue pants and brogans would make a good figure just the same. Oh yeah, smooth side 1858 model tin canteens and the 1855 soft knapsacks. The hard packs was what they went to war with but after they returned from South Carolina they dropped off their gear in Fredericksburg during the Second Mansassas Campaign, and never saw their stuff again. Smoothbore conversion muskets prodominated in the early years, but after Vicksburg mostly Enfield rifles were used.

I'd love to see all the figures anyone has done of the subject matter of the 79th New York. It would be neat if someone were able to model all the different uniform combinations as kind of an evolution of the regiment.

garyjd I can get you copies of the back of the jackets if you wish. I'd have to scan them in. I've handled the jackets and taken careful notes. Research is the key to making a first class prize winning model.

I remain--Collector