1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 79th Cameron Highland Regt. Crimea 1854 (Latorre 54mm)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice

Brilliantly painted. greta reds and tartan as well as the flesh tones.
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    I echo the above. A really nicely done figure and nice display for him Great tartan.
    Cheers
    John
  3. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very good job Tony. From the photos it looks every bit as good as the box art which has so far scared me off touching this one. You've made a really handsome figure.
    Cheers Mat
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great piece Tony!

Especially nice rendition of the tartan

:)

Mark
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks everyone

Thank you to everyone who has posted comments. :) The consensus is very positive and I am humbled by your generosity and want you all to know how much I appreciate your feedback.(y) It's a tremendous boost to my self confidence that I can take on such a classic figure and do it justice.

Ken, what's next is another 54mm figure; a 12th century Knight of the Order of Satiago by Pizarro Miniataures. It's not a particularly well known company but they do some rather interesting historical figures, and I haven't done a Knight before. I picked this one up at Euro09 from Matt Grech at El Greco. I'll post some WIP pics shortly.

Steve, I'm not sure if my talent is growing or that I'm getting more out of whatever talent I have, but I truly appreciate your comments. It's difficult not to be chuffed when you get a comment like that. Cheers mate.:D
  6. Lepman New Member

What a fantastic job. (I'll put mine back in the box).
  7. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good my friend,
    Regards
    chris
  8. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Tony, you did a great job on this one and I really don't know why you felt confused re Tartan :) again you executed it very well!

I'm posting a section of my "explanation" re what/how I tackled the Tartan again for the benefit of all :)

[After I painted a field of dark blue comprised of Navy Blue (Maimeri) + Black, I laid in the green bands (Nap Green Andrea). After that, I mixed the dark blue + green to obtain the blue green effect of the other squares, as can be seen in the first update of the other thread. Next, black green bordering was painted in. Green ochre (V) + a drop of Tamiya matt acrylic (sorry guys but am at work and don'thave the bottle with me) was used for the "yellow" stripes. Red ochre (Maimeri) was used for the red grid

Next came the "weaving" which I achieved by 45degree strokes to the left (I made sure that I kept the strokes to the left, that is upper stroke starting from the left side and end downwards on the right....hope my English is explaing well enough to understand ) with the corresponding underlying colour, on both the yellow and red stripes. Next came the pronounced weave where the lines intersect as this will be a pure/pronounced/enhanced colour, with yellow ochre and red ochre.

Final step was a diluted overall wash with Blue black W&N Oil + white spirit to unify the whole pattern and sort of harmonize the picture. Ivory Black W&N Oil, again diluted was applied inside the pleats after this dried I revisited the intersections with red ochre and yellow ochre accordingly.]

Ray ;)
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Lepman, Chris and Ray, thanks guys I really appreciate your comments.

Ray, I followed you SBS very carefully while painting my highlander and you made it easy for my to understand the process and the sequence of colours and lines. Thank you very much for sharing your technique with me.

The idea of adding a series of strokes at a 45 degree angle across the major colour lines to create a weave pattern was pure genius, and really did create the effect I wanted (you did it much better than I did though!).

The only difference between what you did and what I did was that I dusted the tartan with talcum powder before applying the oil wash. In a small scale like 1/32nd, the creation of surface texture on fabrics needs to be very subtle or it will look wrong, so talc is ideal as it is very fine. It's almost impossible to see in the photos, but it is noticeable in real life.
  10. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    So glad I was of help mate :)

However as I stated in my original post re Piper, I gave credit to Pietro Balloni (his was the 1st one I've ever saw) re painting the "weave" in that manner :) on his bare chested Pegaso 75mm Highlander during Euro '09!

Also congrats on a daring talcum powder technique which sent shivers down my spine reading about it, let alone trying it on the finished piece :D

Ray ;)
  11. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Hello Tony, very nice painting job you accomplished here. It is not my era but still a great fig to be paint.

Thanks for share.

Regards
  12. Hecky_uk Active Member

Really nice Tony. Congrats on a superb paint job. I have the old discontinued Latorre highlander under way. I hope I can do the tartan as well as you have.

Ian
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Rodrigo and Ian, I appreciate your comments very much and I'm glad you like the figure. I look forward to seeing your highlander Ian.